Non-Destruction Part that auto explodes

Hello,

I'm new to KSP modding. I do know code, Java, C#, and some Python. Similar languages really. But I wanted to ask - where do i code? With java, I could use Dr. Java, Python uses it's own console, c# uses microsoft visual, so on.

As for the actual mod. I wanted to build on Bahamuto Dynamics Armory (BD Armory) and create non-lethal military weapons. Namely EMP that explodes when it gets 100m from the ship. This way it doesn't directly damage it (other wise I can tell it's going to be crazy on the code needed to make the part not harm any vessel directly) but rather once it explodes, it sets ElectricCharge to 0, and disables solar panels, rtg's and any form of energy production. The thing is though, I only want to temporarily disable this, maybe for a few seconds, and then let the energy be produced again (if the vessel is capable of making anymore :P). The other thing is - I know engines can also produce EC, and I want to disable that, but not the engines themselves.

I guess what I'm asking is, could this be viably possible? I think it'd be pretty cool to see non-lethal sort of weapons. Maybe a bomb with a longer range but a smaller time, and a missile with the opposite, time over range. :P

Thanks in advance,

-Outride :D

Edited by Outride

About paralizer possibility.

Look this post, the same file, but another method.

Honorable FractalUK checks there which crafts/parts to be detroyed. You can not blow them up but in some way disable or dry.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67739-0-25-WIP-PLUGIN-0-2-0-6-20-11-2014-KeepFit-Kerbal-fitness-degradation?p=1548432&viewfull=1#post1548432

But in KSP there can be only one craft with active engines  yours.

So, not clear what you are going to disable.

But in KSP there can be only one craft with active engines  yours.

That's not true - any engine you activate will remain active as long as it's within physics range, as do any auto pilot systems you might have at your disposal. If I wanted to, I could have two ships following around me with burn together, one trying to dock with me using mech jeb, and a few kOS guided probes trying to sneak behind each other. I could release burning solid rocket boosters and watch them vanish into the distance, not to mention all the missiles from the handful of weapon mods we have. There are dozens of ways I can have more than one ship flying around, so long as they are sort of nearby, which thanks to BDArmory's physics range manipulation can mean anything from a couple of kilometers to a hundred of them.

Then there's also DMP, the multi player mod.

Edited by Yski

That's not true - any engine you activate will remain active as long as it's within physics range

I.e. in 2.5 km. Would look a little bit like a simulation of electromagnetic kamikaze.

As I can understand, idea is: launch a shell from safe distance, watch the boom, then get closer and grab defenceless goodies.

Btw: to make your opponent engines working in physical range you would first switch to it and enable its engines, i.e. play at both sides.

I don't see if it is possible to, say, launch a cargo ship on route, then switch to your pirate ship which is far away and intercept a working ship. You'll meet a drifting ship and to disable it you would first enable it. Of course, I may be wrong.

Edited by kerbiloid

I.e. in 2.5 km. Would look a little bit like a simulation of electromagnetic kamikaze.

Nope, as I mentioned, you can manipulate the physics distance with the right mods. Does 100km sound more reasonable to you?

You really should read the whole post, not just half a sentence.

To summ it up:

*Physics range can be adjusted. 100km is working just fine for me.

*BDArmory can be set up to automatically shoot anything tagged as an enemy if it gets too close.

*Auto pilot mods can be used to control those ships, in other words you only have to activate them once you get within the physics range of your choice, and the mods will do the rest.

Edited by Yski

Nope, as I mentioned, you can manipulate the physics distance with the right mods. Does 100km sound more reasonable to you?

It sounds reasonable for me, but I'm not sure so reasonable for KSP engine. Even a multi-part base can turn the game to a slide-show.

What if KSP will evaluate all physics 100 km around KSC - with all rovers, landed ships and other daily stuff?

So, I presumed vanilla physics.

BDArmory can be set up to automatically shoot anything tagged as an enemy if it gets too close.

Agreed. The only way I have yet found for making some sort of combat.

It sounds reasonable for me, but I'm not sure so reasonable for KSP engine. Even a multi-part base can turn the game to a slide-show.

What if KSP will evaluate all physics 100 km around KSC - with all rovers, landed ships and other daily stuff?

So, I presumed vanilla physics.

A fair point, but you can't really blame that on the physics range - it's up to you how many things you put in close proximity of each other. Long range battles work just fine, assuming you've made sure there's no random clutter killing the performance.

Besides, weren't we talking about intercepting cargo ships in space a while ago, how did we suddenly get down to KSC? :P

Edited by Yski

Wouldn't you use the same physical radius settings all the game session  both in space and KSC?

BDArmory comes with an ingame menu (opens with ALT+B, I think?) that can adjust it on the fly - it's just a matter of typing in the new value and clicking the button. You can always change things around depending on what you need at the moment :)

Edited by Yski

BDArmory comes with an ingame menu (opens with ALT+B, I think?) that can adjust it on the fly - it's just a matter of typing in the new value and clicking the button. You can always change things around depending on what you need at the moment :)

Thanks for info, will try this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.