How does Mjolnir know who is "Worthy"?

Fr8monkey

Odin says:" Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor" It is said in the comics and the film of the same name...

How does it know who is worthy?

Is it excellent character? Good posture? Fashion sense? Fantastic credit rating?

I don't understand.

The "Excalibur test."

I think that's part of the point though. If there were a known secret formula to being worthy, everyone would be seeking to attain it. Of course, if you're trying to be something just because you seek the power of Thor, then you're not really worthy, are you?

Just relax and rest assured that Odin knew what he was doing :sticktongue:

Though there might be more detail on this as of late. New comics involve Thor losing control of Mjolnir and it passing on into the possession of a woman. Maybe you'll find some insight there.

Who stay alive  he/she is worthy.

Old and young HR officers looking a large pile of candidates' resume letters.

Young HR melancholically says: "This pile of paper is too large! We'll burn out while reading them all."

Old HR takes a top of pile and drops others to a trash can.

Young: "What are you doing?!"

Old: "Why would we need those loosers?"

It's a divine decree. Basically, Odin created a new law of nature that makes it so.

And by what is it decided if one is worthy? Well, Odin said the person must be worthy, therefore the most literal interpretation is "you must be someone who Odin would consider likeable". You must possess the qualities that Odin idealizes. If he sees you and goes 'wow, I would totally be bros with that human', then voila, you're worthy.

The details as to what qualities exactly would make Odin want to be your bro, well, I don't know enough about Norse mythology for that :D

The details as to what qualities exactly would make Odin want to be your bro, well, I don't know enough about Norse mythology for that :D

For what it's worth, Mythological Norse Thor would probably not be judged worthy to lift Marvel Thor's hammer, assuming the Marvel Mjolnir rules applied. Such is Viking Space Magic.

Edited by maltesh

As with all religions, most of its things aren't explained. They are just said to exist and you have to believe it. So... there isn't an explanation inside the Nordic mythology.

I don't think the 'worthy' bit was ever there. From what I recall, in the original Mythology, the hammer was forged specifically for Thor and it would only answer to him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.