Should stock include 5m or larger parts?

Do you use 5m or larger parts?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use 5m or larger parts?

• Yes, and they should be in stock!
    • Yes, but they shouldn't be in stock.
    • No, and they should be in stock!
    • No, and they shouldn't be in stock.
    • Yes, I use Realism Overhaul or similar mods.
    • Other (explain in comments)

In .23.5, the Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM) Update, 3.75m parts were added to KSP, larger than any other parts in the game at that time. With version .90, the Mk.3 part set will introduce spaceplane parts of similar scale. Such parts remain the largest currently in the game. Since their release, several mods (KW Rocketry, SpaceY, etc) have added even larger 5 meter parts to their selection.

Do parts of this size have a place in stock KSP? Or should they stay in mods? What do/would you use 5m parts for? Are 3.75m parts enough? Should parts even larger than 5m be included in stock?

I've allowed multiple voting options in the poll, but please only do so if you use Realism Overhaul. Then, select either of the "Yes" choices.

They would be overpowered. You can reach everything you want with 2.5m parts or less. The 3.75m parts are a nice addition, especially when bringing up modules for space stations or heavy landers. 5m parts would be too much for the game.

I've been using the SpaceY pack for heavy lift lately. The 5m parts aren't strictly necessary, but they certainly help keep the part count down compared to 3.75m or 2.5m stock parts when throwing a fuel depot or other heavy load into orbit.

That said, I'm not sure they belong in stock. Add 5m parts and people will clamor for 7.5m parts. Add those and people will clamor for 10m parts. Where will it end?

I think the only time we'll have a use for them is when aerodynamics are fixed, and asparagus staging is just no longer viable (if that'll even happen, I don't use FAR, maybe asparagus still works).

Asparagus staging is viable, even in FAR. I can usually get 3 pairs of asparagus boosters to work well with FAR, so long as they're close to the core.

Large, "pancake" rockets, as I call them with, 5 or more pairs of asparagus boosters, however, aren't. I can't think of the last time I've needed one of those, though.

The idea of bigger parts and (hopefully) bigger explosions sounds great... but I see no practical use to 5m parts. I hardly ever use 3.75m parts and doubt i'd use 5m parts unless I were doing something extremely hazardous. They would be a good idea if something else was added to provide a reason for 5m parts (e.g. even bigger asteroids)

Maybe. It would be useful for keeping part-counts down, but I can't see myself using it under stock cirumstances, only in things like RSS and 6.4x Kerbol (which I am using, but without 5m parts, so none of the options really apply for me) And if you're using mods, why not just install SpaceY?

What I really want are bigger structural parts. I want to make bigger space stations without my CPU throwing a fit. :P Then again, I could just use TweakScale for that.

When they fix the memory issues (by reusing textures or unloading things from memory when not in use) then by all means, yes.

This. Basic unmodded game takes lots of memory as it is (Speaking of the 32bit max).

Unless the new part fills new function (ie: electric prop, resource extractor/convertor) we must take care.

Agreed, and where do you stop? 10m? 15m?

Part of the fun is managing with what you've got, which is why I personally find most games get less interesting as you get further through them and better equipment becomes available.

It's more fun to take on a Deadric ruin in iron armour than in ebony for example :)

Well, the size (digitally) of a 3d model isn't really determined by the number of polygons. It's determined by how much it takes to represent those polygons.

So, if SQUAD could figure out how, they could possibly lower RAM requirements for the current parts. Then, and only then, we can consider 5 meter parts.

Other than that, yes. Eventually there is going to be a lot of planets, and to keep part-count low for huge ships going to GP-3 or ( crosses fingers) 4, it's a must-have.

Also, I think it's a better idea to make the 3.75 meter parts have slightly better mass ratios, and then the 5 meter parts could have even bigger ( but not by much) mass ratios.

The only reason for 5m parts I can think of: the new Mk3 parts make Kerbodyne look normal. I assume the orange tank is orange because it was supposed to be the external tank for shuttle replicas, and now it will fit into the shuttle.

But like anyone else, I don't see what payload or mission would require 5m parts.

I don't think they're really needed. The only use case I see apart from "big for big's sake" is as the fuel tank for a shuttle recreation, but then you'd also need bigger SRBs to look correct. I actually reckon the current Shuttle SRBs, the expected Mk3 parts, and a 3.75m external tank will look OK. (Especially if we could get a new giant orange tank too.)

Agreed, and where do you stop? 10m? 15m?

Part of the fun is managing with what you've got, which is why I personally find most games get less interesting as you get further through them and better equipment becomes available.

It's more fun to take on a Deadric ruin in iron armour than in ebony for example :)

Exactly this. Want to get something heavy in orbit? Slap one 5M booster to it and you're done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.