Nuka's Blender help topic

Ah its just a general question as I run into the issue a lot, for example with cones loop cuts don\'t work horizontally like they do on cylinders.

I usually end up doing what you said, either subdividing a few times (which makes tons of faces to clean up) or deleting some vertices between the two points and extruding.

I wish we had something in blender like the pentool in PS, click point A and B cut down the line.

This is what I\'ve been working on lately, and boy has it been a hell of a ride:

ksWtx.png

I\'m still learning but in the matter of about 2 weeks I\'m happy with my progress, that moment when you get your first part ingame; feelsgoodman.

This is excellent man, please let me know if you release some parts.

How do you (cleanly!) slice up parts in Blender 2.63?

For example, I have a tail piece for an airplane I am working on tapers down from the main body before flaring out again for the control surfaces, which (I think) looks great, but the physics mesh collider won\'t follow the taper correctly due to convex rules. If a user tries to put landing gear on this piece, it attaches to the collider which can be up to 1m away from the body of the plane!

How would you chop off the end of the tail where the taper is at it\'s smallest, so that I can turn it in to two parts for use in KSP with good collider rules?

For example, I have a tail piece for an airplane I am working on tapers down from the main body before flaring out again for the control surfaces, which (I think) looks great, but the physics mesh collider won\'t follow the taper correctly due to convex rules. If a user tries to put landing gear on this piece, it attaches to the collider which can be up to 1m away from the body of the plane!

How would you chop off the end of the tail where the taper is at it\'s smallest, so that I can turn it in to two parts for use in KSP with good collider rules?

delete tail export as body, reload, chop body export tail I think

The best way I can think off. Is to get into the edit mode, and then select the part that you need to 'remove' and after selecting them you can then press 'p' then select the 'selection' it will take the part you have selected, and then it will be separated from the model as a new model for it self. At least this is what I understand that you want to do.

The best way I can think off. Is to get into the edit mode, and then select the part that you need to 'remove' and after selecting them you can then press 'p' then select the 'selection' it will take the part you have selected, and then it will be separated from the model as a new model for it self. At least this is what I understand that you want to do.

Yes, this is what I was hoping to do. I\'ll give it a try here in a second. Someone in the IRC channel said that you can apply two different mesh colliders to the same part as well - is this actually doable? That sounds like an interesting workaround for single piece concave cargo holds :)

Yes, this is what I was hoping to do. I\'ll give it a try here in a second. Someone in the IRC channel said that you can apply two different mesh colliders to the same part as well - is this actually doable? That sounds like an interesting workaround for single piece concave cargo holds :)

I do not know, have not tried it, do not have a model that need that type of thing. Keep us informed if that works ;)

Someone in the IRC channel said that you can apply two different mesh colliders to the same part as well - is this actually doable?

That someone on IRC would be me, and yes multiple colliders are supported in the unity parttools. Just add multiple mesh colliders (or any other kind) in the part tools, their names does not matter. I\'m currently using it for my Tristar tail and it works great.

And since it\'s not actually a Blender question so would likely have gotten a better answer faster if it was posted elsewhere.

That someone on IRC would be me, and yes multiple colliders are supported in the unity parttools. Just add multiple mesh colliders (or any other kind) in the part tools, their names does not matter. I\'m currently using it for my Tristar tail and it works great.

And since it\'s not actually a Blender question so would likely have gotten a better answer faster if it was posted elsewhere.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, thought about it as a blender problem, not unity

What special rules do I need to apply/watch out for to get wings to attach correctly? I\'ve tried making a simple copy of a delta wing, with an identical copy of the delta wing\'s .cfg file (changed the part name/title only), and while it works, it won\'t attach edge-on to the fuselage.

Things I\'ve tried:

1) changing the origin to a face

2) exporting in different orientations

Still no luck. Delta wing just uses a standard node_attach, so it doesn\'t seem to be node definition specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blender 2.6

Thanks!

What special rules do I need to apply/watch out for to get wings to attach correctly? I\'ve tried making a simple copy of a delta wing, with an identical copy of the delta wing\'s .cfg file (changed the part name/title only), and while it works, it won\'t attach edge-on to the fuselage.

Things I\'ve tried:

1) changing the origin to a face

2) exporting in different orientations

Still no luck. Delta wing just uses a standard node_attach, so it doesn\'t seem to be node definition specific. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blender 2.6

Thanks!

Did you export with Unity or blender?

Hi Anariaq, I just have few questions about cycle renders. :)

1.) What\'s difference between cycle and blender render?

2.) How to make good cycle renders?

3.) How did you make 'lights' and glowing controls panels using cycle renders?

Thanks!

Hi Anariaq, I just have few questions about cycle renders. :)

1.) What\'s difference between cycle and blender render?

2.) How to make good cycle renders?

3.) How did you make 'lights' and glowing controls panels using cycle renders?

Thanks!

Funny was watching some tutorial from this guy.

And he has a really good tutorial for cycles.

The different between blenders internal is direct lighting. Meaning it lights things in a strait line. So one side of a model can be total darkness. And the other in bright white. Cycles render is photon tracer, so it will take to account the surroundings of things and bounces of them and light like the backside of a model. And can create realistic render with ease ( take time though ) Think that tutorial covers most of what you need to learn about cycles render. Of course just ask if you need more help with it.

So, I saw the video tutorial, but still haven\'t got much luck with that. In fact, on my renders is a 'noise' and I don\'t know what with.

Ah in the camera Icon where you can change resolution of the final render. When in cycles render mode. There will be a menu named 'integrator' And under that there is samples. It is the control to how many samples that will be rendered. Higher number clearer picture. Though also means it will take time to finish the render. But it worth it. I usually use 100 at preview and 500 at render, when it is in external render. Sometimes I use up to 1000 with internal render.

Thanks, with you I did my first cycle render. :)

It have just 90 samples, now I need to dwl new driver for my GPU (Driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570) to use GPU for rendering, with my CPU (Intel Core 2duo 2.20Ghz) it takes really long time.

Anyway, now, with cycles the new more-detailed version of Ariane 5 looks much better, thanks!

EDIT: Is possible to use texture for cycle renders?

ariane5expcyc.png

Thanks, with you I did my first cycle render. :)

It have just 90 samples, now I need to dwl new driver for my GPU (Driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570) to use GPU for rendering, with my CPU (Intel Core 2duo 2.20Ghz) it takes really long time.

Anyway, now, with cycles the new more-detailed version of Ariane 5 looks much better, thanks!

EDIT: Is possible to use texture for cycle renders?

ariane5expcyc.png

Looks great :D You could scale the square down and increase the strength of light emitted. To get more detailed render. To make the detail on the rocket to pop a little. BTW really like the kerbal with your other render :D

And no, I have searched around to see if it is possible to use cycles for baking textures. But so far it is only rumors that they will implement baking with cycles. The cycles roadmap dos not have any indication that they will work on texture baking. Wish they would do it. Could make so big of a different in game development. If it was possible to do it.

Did you export with Unity or blender?

I\'m building the wing in (what I think) is the correct axis so that it looks like it would attach to the side of a vertical tank. I export in blender to autocad format (.fbx?), and then finish the export in Unity, because I am fail at doing collision meshes in Blender.

I\'m building the wing in (what I think) is the correct axis so that it looks like it would attach to the side of a vertical tank. I export in blender to autocad format (.fbx?), and then finish the export in Unity, because I am fail at doing collision meshes in Blender.

Ah don\'t know if this will help. But Unity have a really fantastic blender support. What you have to do is start Unity and then drag the .blend file into the project tap. It will automatic get all models and materials from it. Though still need to be edited. Hope it will help.

C7 is using .fbx files in his tutorial, so presumably that\'s the best format to use. I went ahead and created a part in blender and imported the .blend file directly:

ki38il.png

(click for bigger)

wixscl.png

And then in game it does this. Keep in mind this uses the exact same .cfg file as the delta wing, the only thing I changed was the part name (Delta Wing to TestWing) and description

Before anyone tells me I need to change my X rotation from -90 to 0, this is what happens when you do that and re-export

fr3Skl.png

also, copy of my source stuff if you want to look at it (download)

hello I have a question.

is on the moving parts, I\'m doing down legs resembling those of kerbal Landing Struts, i use Blender get them to move the 'obj_leg' which is pa rarte visual piece, but not ce as an achievement to make it move on 'node_legcollider ' in fact, i seen as a visual piece (which actually should not be)

hello I have a question.

is on the moving parts, I\'m doing down legs resembling those of kerbal Landing Struts, i use Blender get them to move the 'obj_leg' which is pa rarte visual piece, but not ce as an achievement to make it move on 'node_legcollider ' in fact, i seen as a visual piece (which actually should not be)

Hmm if it is on unity you are trying to make the legcollider. You do not need to have a model for the collider it self. Just use the physic tab and then mesh collide.

But if it is in blender, you may need to assign a material for it. You dont have to edit the material, just add it. Hope it helped

C7 is using .fbx files in his tutorial, so presumably that\'s the best format to use. I went ahead and created a part in blender and imported the .blend file directly:

ki38il.png

(click for bigger)

wixscl.png

And then in game it does this. Keep in mind this uses the exact same .cfg file as the delta wing, the only thing I changed was the part name (Delta Wing to TestWing) and description

Before anyone tells me I need to change my X rotation from -90 to 0, this is what happens when you do that and re-export

fr3Skl.png

also, copy of my source stuff if you want to look at it (download)

I will look into it at this moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.