How do YOU launch?

Higgs

Sure, you can spend less ÃŽâ€V to get to orbit, but in my experience, the large mass of the engine gives you a lower overall payload fraction.
And really, the delta-V is the entire point of the whole exercise, so you can't discount it like that. The logarithmic nature of the rocket equation means there's a HUGE difference in mass between a rocket that reaches a circular orbit on an optimal profile versus one that uses a less efficient ascent. If you're not adjusting your throttle for an ideal ascent, then you're forcing yourself to build rockets much bigger than they need to be to make up the difference, and that'll kill your payload fraction more than anything else. It's hardly a coincidence that the ISPs of the larger stock rockets in the game give them just about enough delta-V to reach a decent orbit in a single stage...

Sorry, but you're mistaken here, Spatzimaus. Payload fraction trumps delta-V expenditure in fuel efficiency and cost. A dV-optimal ascent (i.e. getting to terminal velocity quickly and staying there) consumes more fuel and require a larger rocket than a payload-fraction optimized lower TWR design. The payload-fraction optimized design will consume more delta-V but less fuel, which seems like a contradiction but it is because of the reduced engine mass. I've found that an initial TWR of ~1.3-1.4 gets a rocket to orbit with less fuel used than a dV optimal TWR of around 2.

While I could for most rockets just go full throttle and let the clams go at the same time I fire the engines...

I prefer to fire the engines first, slowly up the throttle (well not slow slow but slightly slower than just pressing z) and then release the clams to go. Serves no purpose but to waste fuel but it looks pretty and I like it.

It depends on the system i use for the launch:

Usually my rockets tends to have an TWR of 1.2 to 1.5. If they would have less TWR at liftoff i use solid boosters unless the consumed fuelload allows that TWR. Witch means i am able to stage engines and launch clamps at the same time.

But when i use a system where jet engines are involved - supporting the launch or alone in the first stage:

The jet engines are fired up first to onehundred percent thrust before i release the launch clamps (and fire up additional rocket engines).

Besides:

Before this version i tend to lower the base of the rocket slightly above the ground. If it tended to have not the estimated TWR it would sink a little and then easyly "rest" on it's engines on the launchpad.

Using this scheme in this version something unexpected happend (bad for my first carreer game at the start): When the physics kicked in the launchpad exploded, but the rocket still stands on it's launchclamps and was able to liftoff. ;)

Looks like the collision boxes for the parts or/and the launchpad are a bit rough when the game is initalising.

Since then my rockets are placed somewhat higher above the ground, giving rocket engines enough time to "rev up".

PS: On launch TWR, I often go very low, even when I was playing with stock aero. 1.1-1.2 wasn't uncommon and occasionally even lower. I like to maximise payload from a given diameter stack, which then allows me to simply group said stacks together to scale the rocket for larger payloads. I also just like the look of the rocket slowly lumbering off the pad. Not had a problem flying such rockets.

Only with multiple stages.

With the career price changes I've been doing a lot of launches that use SRBs on the first stage, making them massively overpowered. This allows me to throttle way back on the liquid rockets after terminal, until the SRBs drop off. Maybe not the most efficient in the world but even the Delta IV uses a similar approach.

*edit* Once the rocket settles and stabilizes on the pad (zero'd on the navball) I usually enable SAS & RCS and then go full throttle and hit spacebar... seems to work best for me. A few times I tried firing the rockets first at half throttle, then throttling up until I could see the rocket tugging at the clamps ... then released the clamps. That never seemed to work out well for the passenger(s) onboard.

For most craft:

0) Press Z (or previously hold down shift until 100% throttle is reached)

1) Press space to fire engines (and launch clamps if relevant)

If you're not spending most of your ascent at full throttle, you either have too much engine, or are doing something silly.

Yep, this is me. I usually don't design my rockets to run at less than 100% throttle, because if each design had different throttle requirements, I'd never keep it straight if I need to re-use the design later. Too much to remember.

So... 100% throttle, and GO! ;)

EDIT: (oh, and bonus points for using 0-based counting!) :)

1) throttle up

2) press space

3a) Watch the rocket drop onto the pad as the clamps release but no engines fire because the editor gave the clamps an exclusive first stage. Revert to assembly to fix

3b) alternatively stage 1 fired but clamps were spread across 3 other stages by the editor and the torque of only half releasing just ripped the rocket apart, revert to assembly

4) Ship explodes on the launchpad as soon as physics kicks in. revert once agian.

5) Ship loads fine but Jeb snuck into the pod agian. Send it back to the VAB to pry him out of the seat.

6) Jeb is safely tied up in the lounge.... BOOM! sigh stupid physics.

7) Right pilot? check? No boom? check. Staging good? check. Liftoff and its a smooth ride to orbit.

Sounds about right...

I put the stage 1 engines and clamps in the first stage. I throttle up (press z), engage SAS & RCS, hit spacebar and point the correct end toward space. I slowly start my turn at 10K and end up at about 45° by the time I get to 15K. Sure it may not be textbook efficient but with my sloppy rockets I have had them break if I start my turn earlier. Sure, more struts would fix it, but the guys in the VAB are lazy bums.

Full throttle, Enable SAS, launch engines and clamps at the same time (if using them).

5 degrees west @ 1,000 m

45 degrees @ ~10,000

Level off (or about 5 - 10 degrees above level) when apoap @ ~80,000

I usually throttle down if my TWR starts exceeding 2.0 and I'm below 24,000

Edited by Slam_Jones

Engage MechJeb, set pitch to 85 degrees, go full throttle and then activate the engines. I pitch over in case of an aborted launch, as I don't want the pad destroyed, and when I separate any boosters, they splash down with a greater chance of surviving for recovery.

1: Set throttle to Zero.

2: Time Warp to Day.

3: Engage SAS

4: Confirm Resources are Nominal.

5: Stage Main Engine.

6: Throttle to 100%

7: Apply up elevator until landing gear clears runway.

8: Raise Landing Gear.

9: Increase pitch until at 40-60 degree climb

10: Begin Flight.

1- SAS On

2- Bring up Mechjeb AP, PE, TwR, Inclination, and Time to AP info (I'd rather watch a rocket launch than look at a map:P)

3- Hold Shift To Throttle Up (Z is too recent, haven't bothered to use it much)

4- Activate Engines and Detach Clamps

OR (For Space Shuttles):

1- SAS On

2- Bring up Mechjeb AP, PE, TwR, Inclination, and Time to AP info.

3- Activate Main Orbiter Engines (still at default half thrust) then hold shift.

4- Once throttle is 100%, Activate SRBs and Detach Clamps

I like to do things more realistically.

For liquid fueled rockets:

1. SAS on

2. Set throttle to 30%

3. Ignite engines

4. Throttle to 100%

5. Detach launch clamps if there are any (I usually don't use them)

6. Roll 90 degrees a few seconds after launch

For liquid fueled rockets with solid rocket boosters:

1. SAS on

2. Set throttle to 30%

3. Ignite core stage engines

4. Throttle to 100% (the liquid fueled core stage usually has a TWR <1)

5. Ignite the boosters and detach the launch clamps (if there are any)

6. Roll 90 degrees a few seconds after launch

For solid rocket only launches:

1. SAS on

2. Ignite solid rocket motors :cool:

Edited by Giggleplex777

Usually it goes something like: throttle max, SAS on, press Space to go to space. Then a whole bunch of steering on the way up and sometimes even stages dropped if I'm feeling particularly ambitious (though if it's a spaceplane, not bloody likely).

SAS on.

100% throttle.

Call up resource screen on HUD, set to "Stage Only" (usually; depends on vehicle)

Go to Map View.

Bring up Navball.

Rotate and magnify map view so the view is of the launch site, looking north.

Back to Stage View.

Hit SPACE to fire engines and release launch clamps simultaneously.

[Resist 3 decades of training and experience and STAY VERTICAL because stock soupmosphere]

Accelerate vertically to 100 m/s, reduce throttle (if/as required by launcher design)

Roll 90 degrees (because a gravity turn is a PITCH maneuver, dangit, and I do it the way God(dard) and von Braun intended!)

Begin pitchover and gravity turn at 10km (stock soupmosphere; I really do need to install FAR and DRE one of these days....)

[Resist 3 decades of training and experience and perform "gravity turn" at ridiculously high negative alpha, because stock soupmosphere]

...and it's usually around the time I'm circularizing that I notice that whoever's currently at the top of the roster has STOWED AWAY (...again...)

I make it by easy way, full throttle, then ignition and launch clamps releasing at same staging. I hope that on some day there will be possibilities to preprogrammed realistic ignition sequences, but if engines accelerates from zero to maximum thrust immediately, I am too lazy to play just a rolegame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.