[1.2.2] Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) - Lightweight RealismOverhaul career v0.53 June 12

pjf

Do either of the above Autopruner scripts create texture errors for modded parts that make use of stock textures? Or are they safe to use with the various Recommended/Suggested/Supported mods [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99966"]listed in the OP of the Realism Overhaul thread[/URL]?

[quote name='Eunomiac']Do either of the above Autopruner scripts create texture errors for modded parts that make use of stock textures?[/QUOTE]

Short answer: no.

Long answer: they rename the part so that it is not loaded. The texture remains available; if another part refers to the texture, it will be loaded.

I've been experimenting to try to make RP-0 work on 1.0.5 with no success, and given @StuntFlyer raised similar issues on the RO forum, some of them could be unnoticed by developers and need fixing before release.

I tried two ways to run it. In both cases I installed all dependencies (including the ones not available at CKAN, such as Stock revamp and Taerobee), and then installed RP-0.

1) when I install the current stable release (0.40), everything looks OK at first view, but after finishing the first flight (something similar to the real WAC corporal), I get a bunch of money from the new "world first achievements". It is not game breaking, but makes everything very easy. Is this planned to be balanced in the new version?

2) when I install the master branch from github, problems are much more serious. First of all, parts show up in completely wrong places in the tech tree (in the start I have the Mk1 capsule, Sputnik and explorer for example). Besides, all parts show as non-RP-0. EDIT: After the very useful comment by @Phineas Freak at the RO thread, I think I found out why it doesn't work - no tree.cfg file. Once I get the time to look at this again I'll check whether it works with an old tree.cfg file.

I'm aware that those are experimental versions and not supposed to work well. I'm reporting it in case some of those issues are not general and/or were not noticed by the developers.

Edited by leudaimon

I have pretty successfully gotten RP-0 to work with 1.0.5

1) After your first flight, either hire three kerbals and immediately fire them (losing you 30K) or edit the save game to take away that money. All the word's firsts add up to about 30-40K (on 'hard' difficulty) until you start going to the moon. (I agree it should be balanced though, to 10-20% of the stock rewards)

2) The master branch has the tree.yml file that needs to be converted. Only the releases have the tree.cfg file that you need. Take the tree.cfg from the 1.0.4 RP-0 and add it to the master branch install and you should be good to go.

It's not perfect, but its playable.

Edited by ZaPPPa

1 hour ago, ZaPPPa said:

I have pretty successfully gotten RP-0 to work with 1.0.5

1) After your first flight, either hire three kerbals and immediately fire them (losing you 30K) or edit the save game to take away that money. All the word's firsts add up to about 30-40K (on 'hard' difficulty) until you start going to the moon. (I agree it should be balanced though, to 10-20% of the stock rewards)

2) The master branch has the tree.yml file that needs to be converted. Only the releases have the tree.cfg file that you need. Take the tree.cfg from the 1.0.4 RP-0 and add it to the master branch install and you should be good to go.

It's not perfect, but its playable.

Thank you for the suggestions @ZaPPPa. Yeah, I actually found out how to compile tree.cfg, and it is working properly now. I got 72K (exactly o.O) from the first set of world firsts on moderate, and 6 science. These values should definitely be changed (or world firsts removed altogether, given these milestones are already in automatic contracts) on final release.

21 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Aaaand master now has something that disables world-firsts. :)

Glad to see, more action in the forum again. i was getting worried lol

I've been playing a little with RP-0, and noticed some minor issues (or maybe intended aspects) that made me wonder:

1) When launching from other bases than KSC, recovery percentages are still calculated relative to the distances from KSC. It is a little frustrating when you manage to return with view of the base, and receive only 75% back.

2) The VAB and SPH have different characteristics at startup. VAB has basically no limitations, while SPH requires at most 30 parts. Is this intended? I don't use planes much (even my X-plane is launched vertically) but i don't see much reason for this difference.

Btw, good job on the conversion to 1.0.5. It has worked flawlessly so far.

EDIT: I just tested the world firsts on a new save, and they are still there even though I reinstalled RP-0. I may have made a mistake, but it's worth taking a look.

Edited by leudaimon

1 should have been fixed by the KSC Switcher 1.0.5 update. At any rate that's an issue with that mod, not RP-0 per se.

2. Yes, the CBK patches are not updated for 1.0.5 yet. Will do ASAP, thanks.

3. I'll look at the world first stuff.

8 hours ago, leudaimon said:

I've been playing a little with RP-0, and noticed some minor issues (or maybe intended aspects) that made me wonder:

1) When launching from other bases than KSC, recovery percentages are still calculated relative to the distances from KSC. It is a little frustrating when you manage to return with view of the base, and receive only 75% back.

2) The VAB and SPH have different characteristics at startup. VAB has basically no limitations, while SPH requires at most 30 parts. Is this intended? I don't use planes much (even my X-plane is launched vertically) but i don't see much reason for this difference.

Btw, good job on the conversion to 1.0.5. It has worked flawlessly so far.

EDIT: I just tested the world firsts on a new save, and they are still there even though I reinstalled RP-0. I may have made a mistake, but it's worth taking a look.

What needs to be done to make this 1.0.5 compatible?

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

1 should have been fixed by the KSC Switcher 1.0.5 update. At any rate that's an issue with that mod, not RP-0 per se.

2. Yes, the CBK patches are not updated for 1.0.5 yet. Will do ASAP, thanks.

3. I'll look at the world first stuff.

Thanks for the fast reply!

13 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

What needs to be done to make this 1.0.5 compatible?

I installed all dependencies (including the ones not yet available at CKAN, such as Stock revamp and Taerobee), and then installed the master branch of RP-0 from github. To install the master you need to compile the tree.cfg file (it is not very complicated on linux, have no idea on windows) or copy it from the stable 0.40 release. In both cases, you only need to paste the Gamedata folder contents, not all files in the zip.

14 minutes ago, leudaimon said:

I did. I'm not sure whether it is necessary, but given it is listed as a dependency I installed the current release.

Ok. I decided to omit it, since it's not compatible with 1.0.5. I guess I'll find out if I need it :P

We are waiting on Deadly Reentry being updated for 1.0.5.

TACLS also needs a quick fix release, that should be coming out shortly, and Ven's Stock Revamp is about to see an official 1.9 build as I understand it.

RP-0 requires all of the above, so...

The two jet engines you get early, the J57, and the british one don't work. They show up, and they have models, but they don't do anything, and once placed (within the SPH) they can't be clicked on again. I suspect I'm missing something, but this might be a bug.

Is this the place to discuss the balance of the tech tree? In case it isn't, I'm sorry! 

There are some parts that look strange/unbalanced to me. 

I'm in the early game, and one thing that makes me wonder is why both the vanguard-1 and sputnik probes are in the same node, but the engines that launched them are in different nodes. I understand that the RD-107/108 is pretty overpowered for the early orbital rocketry node (The place Vanguard engines are placed). But I think also does the Vanguard probe in the early avionics node. It is tiny, weights on tenth of the next smallest science core and has solar cells(!!). Given solar cells as a part are available only two nodes ahead (stability/early probes), I think it should be at least in the next node, Basic avionics.

That would make some historic sense in that the early soviet rockets were stronger, to carry a heavier payload (which was simple and bulky), while early american rockets were not so strong and probes were more miniaturized.

Yep, here's the place. :)

Here's the background: Explorer I and Vanguard 23in X-Ray cores are (hopefully) balanced by cost: they're way, way more expensive than the Sputnik PS-1 core. There's no particular reason Sputnik PS-1 couldn't be in the start node, though, if people really want it in a different tech node. I wouldn't move forward Explorer I or the Vanguard probe, since they're not as high tech as the avionics in that node.

As to the solar panels, what's expensive (and unlock later) are independent cells. Tiny built-into-the-probe cells that can just keep a radio transmitter alive aren't that high tech, so I don't see a problem with that...

On 6-12-2015 02:26:06, Nnimrod said:

Ok. I decided to omit it, since it's not compatible with 1.0.5. I guess I'll find out if I need it :P

DRE has just been released for 1.0.5 so you can start using it again :)