[0.22] ISA MapSat 4.0 Dev Build

Innsewerants

v2.0.0 is out.

Kerbin mapping, thicker 'beam', high altitudes, new projection options :)

Thanks to guicam for figuring out yet another way to get elevation data which doesn\'t seem to go all nutty.

I\'ve listed the new features in the features etc spoiler tag, there are quite a few new things, updated the arguments section with all the new mapping arguments.

The natural colour scheme doesn\'t scale yet though and is more or less optimized for Kerbin. I wanted to get Kerbin mapping out on the forum, will do a small update of mapgen when I have tweaked that option a bit more.

Hope you all enjoy,

Most questions, previous problems etc are irrelevant now, different code.

If any problems pop up, please let me know and I will get to it asap.

Now I only hope I didn\'t forget to pack anything and wake up to a zillion 'it doesn\'t work' replies.

It now works for me =D

Out of cuiosity; does running or having more than one mapping satellite around one planet/moon, or having more than one mapping module on one satellite, have an adverse effect on the mapping dynamic?

Namely if I have 2 satellites mapping in different orbits, will the data create an image that overwrites geographical data because it has 2 different sources?

I think that data will always be written to the end of your Kerbin/Mun file, so it should merge automatically.

Alright, excellent! Thanks!

Just one other question, then: Must you be actively viewing said satellite for it to map, or is it passive? If it isn\'t passive, is there plans in the future to implement something to this effect?

EDIT/SUGGESTION: Would it be possible to incorporate Muon Detection into the mapping feature; ie, mapping satellites will mark a location with a munolith with 1 dot of a color outside the mapper\'s height/color spectrum(for noticability). With permission from that author, of course. :3

EDIT/SUGGESTION: Would it be possible to incorporate Muon Detection into the mapping feature; ie, mapping satellites will mark a location with a munolith with 1 dot of a color outside the mapper\'s height/color spectrum(for noticability). With permission from that author, of course. :3

+1

I\'d even be thrilled with being able to generate a map noting where / when the large Muon detector is red, green, or off. That is, a red mark gets drawn then the light is red, green line when green, and nothing when off.

The code runs when ksp determines its your active flight and stage.

Scanning from inactive flights could be doable, it was the first bug I removed because it was unintended behaviour before I ever put the first release on here lol.

How practical that is, is another question entirely. You would have seperate instances of code trying to access the same files simultaniously, which might not be a problem but it spams your console and ksp log file to death and that has had the effect of making my ksp crash happy to an extent that I\'m pretty certain that is why it was crash happy.

Mapping works in map view while its the active flight though (see the faq I added to the opening post)

I might experiment with multi-sat simultanious scanning and see what happens. If I get it to a form that doesn\'t spam console to death and makes my ksp crashhappy I will implement it.

About pausing causing crashes, I will experiment with that but haven\'t had any problems myself with crashing using my mod and instances where the game pauses.

I must add though I only use mechjeb and the mapping module, I don\'t have any other parts or mods installed.

about munolith

Hmm yes I could add artifact detection I think, I would need to add a column to the data file format and add it to mapgen.

I was thinking about something similar recording your landings and adding an argument to mapgen to add these sites to the map, same basic idea should work for artifacts.

I will ask the maker of that mod if he doesn\'t mind me infringing on his turf a bit as it were though :)

I could start writing it now but it just seems civil to ask first :)

and for the landings I was thinking of an icon or small circle graphic not just a discoloured pixel?

Out of cuiosity; does running or having more than one mapping satellite around one planet/moon, or having more than one mapping module on one satellite, have an adverse effect on the mapping dynamic?

Namely if I have 2 satellites mapping in different orbits, will the data create an image that overwrites geographical data because it has 2 different sources?

No this is not a problem, the sats append data to the data file of the body they are orbiting.

So they just add data, the module itself does no checking for duplicates or any other fancy stuff, trying to keep the module part as light as possible seeing as ksp itself isn\'t always the most stable and some people run systems that can (apparently) barely handle ksp vanilla.

How practical that is, is another question entirely. You would have seperate instances of code trying to access the same files simultaniously, which might not be a problem but it spams your console and ksp log file to death and that has had the effect of making my ksp crash happy to an extent that I\'m pretty certain that is why it was crash happy.

Have each part instance submit data to a static member and periodically dump the accumulated data to file.

Have each part instance submit data to a static member and periodically dump the accumulated data to file.

Yes I will look into that, it would increase the size of each write to the file, I don\'t dare predict how ksp will like that, it has crashed on me just due to its own log spam when I was testing a lot of read outs.

For now I\'m on a short break after this release, have seen too much monodevelop and too little sky and clouds lately... wonder why. ;)

Yes I will look into that, it would increase the size of each write to the file, I don\'t dare predict how ksp will like that, it has crashed on me just due to its own log spam when I was testing a lot of read outs.

For now I\'m on a short break after this release, have seen too much monodevelop and too little sky and clouds lately... wonder why. ;)

If you\'re getting console output, you\'re doing something wrong, to be honest. You should be able to write on a separate thread, too.

The code runs when ksp determines its your active flight and stage.

Scanning from inactive flights could be doable, it was the first bug I removed because it was unintended behaviour before I ever put the first release on here lol.

Mapping works in map view while its the active flight though (see the faq I added to the opening post)

I might experiment with multi-sat simultanious scanning and see what happens. If I get it to a form that doesn\'t spam console to death and makes my ksp crashhappy I will implement it.

Ah, that makes sense; running all that at once might be soft/hardware intensive(running an i7 so I feel nothing from KSP, myself ;P)

The idea behind asking if multiple satellites worked at once was more to the purpose of switching to other vessels, or even launching new satellites/stations/what-have-you, while that satellite records map data continuously, not so much to the purpose of having more than one mapper active at once; although that would still be awesome if it was possible to enable that feature without causing excessive crashes.

But yeah, I\'m otherwise i\'m stuck staring at my(awesome looking) satellite orbit the mun in a 5k orbit for 20 minutes. :D

about munolith

Hmm yes I could add artifact detection I think, I would need to add a column to the data file format and add it to mapgen.

I was thinking about something similar recording your landings and adding an argument to mapgen to add these sites to the map, same basic idea should work for artifacts.

I will ask the maker of that mod if he doesn\'t mind me infringing on his turf a bit as it were though :)

I could start writing it now but it just seems civil to ask first :)

and for the landings I was thinking of an icon or small circle graphic not just a discoloured pixel?

G\'dayum!

My suggestion is not only plausible, but it might be implemented?! :o

Awesome! :D

Not only that, but being able to map/mark landing locations or bases is a fantastic idea!

No this is not a problem, the sats append data to the data file of the body they are orbiting.

So they just add data, the module itself does no checking for duplicates or any other fancy stuff, trying to keep the module part as light as possible seeing as ksp itself isn\'t always the most stable and some people run systems that can (apparently) barely handle ksp vanilla.

Makes sense. Maybe when the game, or people\'s computers, are more stable the idea of multi-module mapping would be plausible. But it\'s good to know that it isn\'t simply going to overwrite shit.

So, I\'ve been trying to open MapGen.exe through the command prompt, and nothing happens. Like, it hesitates for a second, and then waits for my next input. The last build gave me the no .csv error, but this one isn\'t even doing that.

I got this too, but when I copied the File from the VirtualStore to the normal mapgen folder, it throws this:

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Der Parameter muss positiv und kleiner als die Höhe sein.
Parametername: y
bei System.Drawing.Bitmap.GetPixel(Int32 x, Int32 y)
bei isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main(String[] args)

I got this too, but when I copied the File from the VirtualStore to the normal mapgen folder, it throws this:

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Der Parameter muss positiv und kleiner als die Höhe sein.
Parametername: y
bei System.Drawing.Bitmap.GetPixel(Int32 x, Int32 y)
bei isa_RAM_MapGen.MainClass.Main(String[] args)

I get the same thing, in english.

Asmosdeus, you can do the command line stuff using a shortcut if you\'re running windows. Create a shortcut to the mapgen, and in the \'shortcut\' tab on the properties dialog for the shortcut, put this:

[path to folder]\KSP\isa_RAM_mapper\isa_RAM_MapGen.exe [image width] [max. elevation] [other]

The path should be there already, so it should be a matter of putting the parameters on the end of that. Make sure they are separated by spaces without anything else in between.

I get the same thing, in english.

For me, that was what happened when I turned on the mapping part on the launchpad, prior to launch. Somehow, it registered a negative altitude, which caused the map generator to freak out upon receiving negative numbers.

Once I deleted the Kerbin map csv file, it was fine for Mun-Mapping.

Here is a 10000px wide map. you can see all sorts of interesting details at this resolution in regards to how the scan works. You can also make some deductions about movements and scan heights of the scanning ship.

isarammuntopo10000x5000.png

open the image in a new window and zoom in to that 'X' looking area a bit down and left from center.

I also had to delete my Kerbin data to get anything to render.