Impossible contract? Satellite positioning close to Mun orbit but opposite direction

Judging from your pic you have tons of dV (an exact number would be appreciated) which means that you can make a correction at just about anywhere in the orbit. I would re-launch your probe (Making sure the Mun is directly overhead) and then make one single, long, burn to correct your orbit. It's tricky, but it can be done, a parking orbit would work best for this.

I'm tempted to suggest using KER or Mechjeb for this, just to get the AP/PE numbers when you need them ... drop yourself on one when the Mun is well clear, then burn to get the other value right. They should give you a number where a Mun encounter is messing up your trajectory before you can see the other part.

If it needs mods to achieve it, it shouldn't be offered as a contract.

While I agree with this, I'd also like to see the save file. I can't imagine it's all that hard to match the orbit even with an impending Mun encounter. And if it is, just get past it and try again on the other side.

1 - launch a probe with a lot of DV and good TWR, when Mun is over head (or when ever you don't get immediately an encounter)

2 - burn until your apoapsis crosses the desired orbit

3 - use manoeuver node to cross as close as possible the target orbit.

4 - use manoeuver node to match as close as possible the beginning of the target orbit.

(manoeuver node set at the intersect, try the three directions, and mix them)

As simple as that.

This contract may be significantly harder than other satellite contracts, but that kind of contracts are quite permissive.

Also, cancelling contract few time after accepting it just takes you back the advance, with an insignificant amount of rep IIRC.

Edited by Kesa
removed agressive speaking

While I agree with this, I'd also like to see the save file. I can't imagine it's all that hard to match the orbit even with an impending Mun encounter. And if it is, just get past it and try again on the other side.

Here you go: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1902dd6c (don't click on the "download now" advert)

Here you go: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1902dd6c (don't click on the "download now" advert)

I just tried this, and while I agree it's not a very friendly contract (because it orbits in reverse, it crosses Mun 1 or 2 times per orbit) I was able to complete the contract with 2 major burns and a couple tweaks. Total dV (from where you left me which was about the right altitude heading in roughly the right direction) was about 350 and total time spent was 5 minutes or so.

In the actual morning I'll record it with voiceover to explain what I'm doing. Would you like your name mentioned and everything? I'm going to put it up on my channel as a sort of tutorial.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.