[0.90] KSP Interstellar port maintance thread

Boris-Barboris

OK, update!

Version 0.13.3 (that's the archive mod version):

-Solar panel heat tweak from 0.13.2 is now togglable option in WarpPluginSettings.cfg

-Fixed 3.5m fusion reactor .cfg to scale nods well with TweakScale

-Old TweakScale configs for Interstellar mod revisioned. Now reactor power scales with size correctly. Please redownload TweakScale fix, it now contains also one particular .cfg file.

That's it for today, will go afk for a couple of days.

Known bugs:

-Mk3 cargo bay and flat radiator .tga textures sometimes don't load right (you get pure white color instead). I've seen a couple of posts reporting this, but at the moment i don't know the exact cause.

Known issue with KSP 0.25 and 0.90: TGAs sometimes fail to load. And porkjet did all those parts in TGA >.>

that one is not related to specific mod

I'm still running KSP 0.25 and KSPI 0.13, but from what I have read any input on balance changes is welcome, right?

I've got one thing that might be a bug and two ideas for better balancing.

First, the bug:

It's not a bug in the plugin itself, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but here goes anyways.

A few of the parts added by KSPI cause the game to pause for several seconds whenever a ship is loaded in flight, and a similar pause occurs whenever you grab one of these parts in the VAB/SPH.

Parts that cause this problem include the Antimatter reactors, plasma thrusters, and radiators, but there are probably others as well.

The radiators are the worst offenders. If you attach 2 radiators in symmetry, the game will pause for a few seconds whenever the mouse goes over a part they can attach to, and pause again each time the mouse goes over a different part.

After checking thru the models and textures of the parts that cause this problem, I think I've nailed down the main causes of the problem.

Most of the problem causing parts have PNG textures, and I remember hearing that KSP doesn't handle PNG textures well.

The parts that cause problems that don't have PNG textures all seem to have very large TGA textures. In those cases, I think that the texture is just too large. 633kb for a single texture on the small flat radiator? There's gotta be a way to reduce the size of that, right?

Now for the balancing requests:

Can you possibly try to make magnetic nozzles useful?

The way they're balanced right now, there's always a better propulsion system than a magnetic nozzle. If that's not the definition of "Underpowered", I don't know what is.

The only remotely usable propulsion set-up using a magnetic nozzle is this:

• 3m Electric Generator
  • 3m Magnetic Nozzle
  • 3m Antimatter Initiated Reactor (upgraded to AIM Microfusion), enough radiators to handle the 44GW that it puts out
  • 3m Magnetic Nozzle

This combination will put out about 675 kN of thrust (maximum of any magnetic nozzle engine) at a Kerbin TWR of greater than 1, but only with a very light payload and very small amount of Liquid Fuel (less than 30T total fuel+payload mass).

I looked thru the source code and calculated the thrust that various combinations of reactors and magnetic nozzles should produce.

Then I tested the same combinations in game, using MechJeb to report the thrust levels.

The calculations I did match up perfectly with the thrust produced in game.

The conclusion I reached is that the magnetic nozzles are not broken, but the balancing of them is very broken.

For any other combination of reactor, generator, and magnetic nozzle, removing the magnetic nozzle and replacing it with a plasma thruster will result in an increase in TWR and a meaningless reduction of Delta-V.

Sometimes, even replacing the magnetic nozzle with a stock ION ENGINE (and swapping out Liquid Fuel for Xenon Gas) will increase both TWR and Delta-V! (even when running Near Future Propulsion, which nerfs the stock ion engine)

You know something's wrong with an engine's balancing when it can be beaten by a cluster of nerfed stock ion engines.

- EDIT -

Apparently, PorkJet has had problems with PNG textures loading as well. Source

Edited by SciMan

Version 0.13.4

-Initial CRP adaptation changes. Most gases and liquid resources are now taken from CRP, but reactor fuel and some other stuff can't be shared that easy (mostly isotopes and salts). Look at Resources/ResourcesNuclear.cfg to see native to Interstellar resources.

-Antimatter tank cost fix. It's done by fixing KSPI_scale_fixes.cfg. Sorry, but it involves changing the CRP antimatter unit cost and tweakable status. I know this is bad, but otherwise there could be serious game balance flaws (like starting with full antimatter tank, or collecting it and then selling it for huge amount of credits). Antimatter cost is set to 1.

-WarpPlugin folder reorganization.

-Renamed tech tree, so it explicitly states KSP version. On your save load the game will ask you about the tech tree. Load KSPI_boris_090. If it won't, just edit it into TechManager.cfg in your save folder.

You need to install Community Resource Pack by RoverDude: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-90-Community-Resource-Pack-0-3-2-2014-12-24

You need to delete old WarpPlugin folder. Don't boldly overwrite it!

Edited by Boris-Barboris

How is selling antimatter for a ton of money a bad thing? It takes a lot of investment in funds, time, and science in order to collect significant amounts of the stuff. That seems like an acceptable tradeoff.

Anyway, I'm happy to see someone taking over KSPI's maintenance, it's a great mod.

Version 0.13.4

-Initial CRP adaptation changes. Most gases and liquid resources are now taken from CRP, but reactor fuel and some other stuff can't be shared that easy (mostly isotopes and salts). Look at Resources/ResourcesNuclear.cfg to see native to Interstellar resources.

-Antimatter tank cost fix. It's done by fixing KSPI_scale_fixes.cfg. Sorry, but it involves changing the CRP antimatter unit cost and tweakable status. I know this is bad, but otherwise there could be serious game balance flaws (like starting with full antimatter tank, or collecting it and then selling it for huge amount of credits). Antimatter cost is set to 1.

-WarpPlugin folder reorganization.

-Renamed tech tree, so it explicitly states KSP version. On your save load the game will ask you about the tech tree. Load KSPI_boris_090. If it won't, just edit it into TechManager.cfg in your save folder.

You need to install Community Resource Pack by RoverDude: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-90-Community-Resource-Pack-0-3-2-2014-12-24

You need to delete old WarpPlugin folder. Don't boldly overwrite it!

Since most of those materials are only used by KSPI im sure Roverdude would be open to adjusting the values within the CRP to suit

Does this include undercoveryankees crossover configs from here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94876-0-24-2-0-25-Community-Resource-Pack-integration-for-KSPI-0-12-%28ORSX-version%29/page4

Or will I need to download that again to work with KSPI and MKS/TAC? I thought I saw a post about it, though now I'm thinking the post was regarding the argon tank size configs etc.

Edited by Jarardo1
name

Version 0.13.4

Sadly I still have the/a tech tree bug.

Even with the latest version it will randomly switch to a cut version of the tree, denying me access to the last Interstellar specific nodes. Deleting the techtree.cfg and selecting KSPI_boris_090 has that problem as well. After a few menu switches the tech tree changes back to this: http://imgur.com/mcnIU8a

Even with the latest version it will randomly switch to a cut version of the tree, denying me access to the last Interstellar specific nodes. Deleting the techtree.cfg and selecting KSPI_boris_090 has that problem as well. After a few menu switches the tech tree changes back to this: http://imgur.com/mcnIU8a

I copied the KSPI_techtree_0.90 (from this .90 warpplugin folder) to the techmanager folder, and deleted the tree.cfg from the save folder, it's working for me now.

I also installed the latest version of techmanager, which included some other files/folder, not sure if that was necessary.

Edited by Jarardo1

Does this include undercoveryankees crossover configs from here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94876-0-24-2-0-25-Community-Resource-Pack-integration-for-KSPI-0-12-%28ORSX-version%29/page4

Or will I need to download that again to work with KSPI and MKS/TAC? I thought I saw a post about it, though now I'm thinking the post was regarding the argon tank size configs etc.

Seems like his mod does the job of integration prettty well. I had a brief look at those configs and they all should still work, so yes, you can download them. My last fix was pretty minor, I just made antimatter and argon play well with CRP, and deleted duplicates of CRP resources from CRPI configs. Yes, my changes include argon tank resizing due to diffirent argon densities of stock KSPI and CRP.

There's 2 thing you should do to make sure your setup should be correct:

1). You have KSPI_techtree_0.90.cfg anywhere in your Gamedata folder. I've put it into WarpPlugin folder, but the exact location doesn't matter.

2). Delete techtree.cfg from your save so the next time your game loads techmanager creates new config to save your tree selection.

3). tree.cfg file does not matter any more, forget about it, it's useless.

4). Alt+F7 keystroke rebuilds tree instantly, it's a last resort.

If all of it fails, please let me know and try to describe, what steps do I need to repeat to make the tree disappear on my setup.

Hello. I have read here that seismic reader is having some problems. For me though it's working well. It registers impacts correctly and I can retrieve the data and get the science for it.

Where it fails however is with the contracts. I have taken a Seismic Survey Contract and it does not register when I collect data, whether on impact or data collection. Is there any way I can fulfill this contract with the modified seismic reader?

By the way, I'm not using the last update on this thread. My installation is from before this thread, although I did use the updated dll's found on the original mod thread. If it's a known problem and has been fixed in these releases, would updating have the need to relaunch the craft that are already on the field?

Thanks for any help!

No, that's a new bug, thank you!

EDIT:

And here's the quick fix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23572905/KSP_Mods/0_90_patches/science.cfg

Download it and put it to your Gamedata\WarpPlugin folder.

It will return stock seismograph mechanics to accelerometer without deleting KSPI impactor module. Use "Log Seismic Data" to get old seismic science.

Edited by Boris-Barboris
typos

Well, that was a fast answer... Thanks.

I'm going to reinstall the last KSPI version with your bug fixes from this thread and confirm if it still happens there.

And by the way, thanks for your hard work on getting this mod to work again!

[EDIT]: Even updated OP already! You really are putting time on this!

Edited by Dielos

Hey, thanks for all the work You've invested in this, yet I have to announce, I think I've found a bug.

I don't know what could cause it, but the game loading gets stuck at AntimatterReactor folder. Tried to delete the bunch, game loaded just fine. Somehow it just doesn't wan't to get the AM reactors loaded. It just stops. The witty loading titles keep changing, so I know the game itself doesn't crash.

Is there any other quick fix I could try? Because I really wanna get back to my missions that are powered by AM reactors via relays.

Thanks in advance.

Posting my issue with micro beamed power here. Lot of info, want to cover all the bases. Let me know what else I can try or provide.

Moving save from .25 to .90 with this port. Major mods are KSPI and MKS/TAC.

Issue: Vessels not receiving microwave beamed power after moving to .90 (all mods updated). In previous build with same power infrastructure, could receive 40gigs at KSC and 70gigs around Kerban in vacuum.

Exisisting Beamed Power Resources:

Kerban has 4 relay sats about 975km out, at 12, 3, 6, and 9 clock positions.

3 Beam stations on ground 2.5km away from launch pad. 1 20gig and 2 10 gig stations. The stations are all at least 2.5km from eachother as well as KSC.

3-4 Beam stations in orbit of Kerban, 2 also have relay dishes that are active(all 10gig stations). 3-4 additional stations are beaming power while on rout to other planets(some may have relays active), and 1 solar sat about 350000km from the sun beaming a few hundred MW(dissapointing - but not relevant here).

Duna has a 5 relay network surrounding it, mun has 3 relay sats, might be a relay or 2 here or there that is active that I'm not thinking of.

Testing:

I swithced to/loaded and made sure all relays around Kerban are active, while testing, I noticed 1 relay sat was able to receive power while over KSC (About 7gigs). I tracked down the functioning beam station to the large 20gig station on the ground near KSC. I made a test craft with a few dishes, while pointing at the large station I was able to receive 9-13gigs while on the ground. In orbit about 100km, am able to receive 21 gigs while over KSC.

I tried activating and deactivating the stations around the 20gig station, 1-2 times the amount received on the launchpad did change around 3 gigs, but the effect isn't consistent. After going to another vessel and loading the test vessel on the LP again the amount would be either 9gigs or 12 gigs. Turning off the 20gig station, no power can be received anywhere.

All Beam stations do show that they are beaming power when the vessel is loaded.

Relays don't seem to be functioning at all, when receiving power only 1 or maybe 2 sats are ever shown as linked(don't remember if I saw 2 once.

The 20gig functioning station has 2 tokomak reactors, and 2 solid state thermal gens. All other stations only have 1 reactor.

I orbited Kerban several times, and was not able to get any power from any of the orbital stations even when close with a direct line of site. The power amount from over KSC was consistent.

Might be an efficiency error with the amount received while in vacuum over Kerban, can receive 21gigs, while the working station actually only outputs a little under 20gigs(just making note in case it's related).

Thanks for your time and effort sir.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Jarardo1

Give me persistent.cfg please. Good post.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what could cause it, but the game loading gets stuck at AntimatterReactor folder. Tried to delete the bunch, game loaded just fine. Somehow it just doesn't wan't to get the AM reactors loaded. It just stops. The witty loading titles keep changing, so I know the game itself doesn't crash.

What mods are you using. Also, Kerbal Space Program 0.90\KSP_Data\output_log.txt would help me a lot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.