[0.90] KSP Interstellar port maintance thread

Boris-Barboris

FNPlugin is a very old name for interstellar mod. VERY old. If it is what i think it is, you should delete FNPlugin folder from your gamedata. Also, i would recommend not putting anything like "source" into Gamedata. The engine parses all .cfg files it sees in Gamedata, so the folder must be extremely clean.

And where the hell is OpenResourceSystem? Redownload the .zip, you're doing it all wrong ;.;

I have exactly the same problems that TheOtherIke except for the message when loading the game. I have the last version of this mod and a few others like karbonite, procedural fairings and scansat.

I have exactly the same problems that TheOtherIke except for the message when loading the game. I have the last version of this mod and a few others like karbonite, procedural fairings and scansat.

Gamedata folder screenshot and KSP_Data\output_log.txt will help me a lot. I don't know where to start from. Also, check this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104943-0-90-KSP-Interstellar-port-maintance-thread?p=1640176&viewfull=1#post1640176 TheOtherIke defiently did installation wrong. Don't just boldly unpack zip to your gamedata.

I have a bug with the Tech Tree. Unsure if anyone else has posted about it but when I click and research a node the actual node doesn't show that it has been researched. However the science is deducted and everything in the node is shown as "Purchased" so functionally its working fine, but the node does not progress and the new nodes that follow it do not show up. To get around this I have to back out of the Science complex and return to it, where the tech tree is fine. Any fix for this?

Yes, i had it too before, but now it's gone and I don't know the cause. Maybe I'll find the reason some day, but it's not a top priority.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

Boris,

Thanks for the update on the heat management. I went and tested again.

I have one satellite to generate power and beam. Consists of reactor, generator, 8 radiators and a transmitter + misc other parts for the ship. Everything works correctly. Everything is making waste heat just fine and the radiators are emitting the correct amount of power each (gen. waste-heat/8).

On the receiver end, there seems to be a problem. I have a microwave dish receiver, a plasma thruster (2.5m) and 4 small heat radiators. Waste heat seems to be building up just fine (although, it doesn't increase its build-up rate when under physical time warp!). However, the heat-radiated per panel is clamped at about 25MW. As a result, the waste heat builds up continuously.

Vessel reload does not change it. Game reload and vessel load does not change it. It seems really weird that the generator side would work but the ship on the receiver end is not. Could there be a part definition problem?

On the receiver end, there seems to be a problem. I have a microwave dish receiver, a plasma thruster (2.5m) and 4 small heat radiators. Waste heat seems to be building up just fine (although, it doesn't increase its build-up rate when under physical time warp!). However, the heat-radiated per panel is clamped at about 25MW. As a result, the waste heat builds up continuously.

Vessel reload does not change it. Game reload and vessel load does not change it. It seems really weird that the generator side would work but the ship on the receiver end is not. Could there be a part definition problem?

You need Experimental Electrics upgrade in RnD (costs 1000 science). It will upgrade all Mo Li Heat Pipe radiators to Graphene radiators, launched after this tech was researched. It increases small radiator maximum dissipation from ~25 MW to ~800, for example. Before this tech you need a lot of radiators.

In general, you need the same dissipation on a probe in megawatts you're expecting to get from your network via reciever.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an issue, and I apologize if this has already been discussed. When I attempt to launch a new space plane from the SPH the game "locks up." It doesn't freeze, technically, but it stays in the SPH and all the buttons are grayed out. I can still click on the 4 new buttons added in 0.9 (attach, rotate, blah, blah) but nothing else and have to Alt-F4 to get out of the game. This issue exists whether I'm using stock parts or Interstellar parts, and only exists in the SPH. I can build, save, and launch ships from the VAB using stock or interstellar parts without any issues.

Sounds bad. Guys, provide me with KSP_Data\output_log.txt with your error reports and don't use x64 game version.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

So the game hangs when I try to run this, on attempting to load the antimatter reactor.

Quick question that I'm sure has been asked before: Is this mod standalone or do you need to patch it over the 0.25 interstellar mod?

Boris's upload contains all of the files you need, except for CRP.

FNPlugin is a very old name for interstellar mod. VERY old. If it is what i think it is, you should delete FNPlugin folder from your gamedata. Also, i would recommend not putting anything like "source" into Gamedata. The engine parses all .cfg files it sees in Gamedata, so the folder must be extremely clean.

And where the hell is OpenResourceSystem? Redownload the .zip, you're doing it all wrong ;.;

Thanks Boris; I moved the 'source' folder, added the OpenResourceSystem to GameData, and removed FNPlugin. Everything is back to normal :D (MJ toolbar works, no more expanding Interstellar parts in VAB). I'm still getting the error message about an incompatible KSPAPIExtensions. The only mods I've ever used were FAR, ProceduralFairings and Interstellar, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. It's not affecting the game at this point, so I'll live with it.

Thanks Boris; I moved the 'source' folder, added the OpenResourceSystem to GameData, and removed FNPlugin. Everything is back to normal :D (MJ toolbar works, no more expanding Interstellar parts in VAB). I'm still getting the error message about an incompatible KSPAPIExtensions. The only mods I've ever used were FAR, ProceduralFairings and Interstellar, so I'm not sure where this is coming from. It's not affecting the game at this point, so I'll live with it.

I believe that KSPAPIExtensions is used by PFairings. Updating it should fix that message.

You need Experimental Electrics upgrade in RnD (costs 1000 science). It will upgrade all Mo Li Heat Pipe radiators to Graphene radiators, launched after this tech was researched. It increases small radiator maximum dissipation from ~25 MW to ~800, for example. Before this tech you need a lot of radiators.

In general, you need the same dissipation on a probe in megawatts you're expecting to get from your network via reciever.

Yeah... this is a sandbox game and they're already graphene.

Yeah... this is a sandbox game and they're already graphene.

Well, just before i went to new year party, I checked small radiator performance and i got 190 mw dissipation. Please confirm that waste heat continues to build up to the very end, to 90% bar and more.

I believe that KSPAPIExtensions is used by PFairings. Updating it should fix that message.

Yes, KSPI doesn't use KSPAPI extensions dll.

Hi Boris,

Would the microwave fixes affect atmosphere and distance power loss? I tried to lauch a ship and the thermal receiver was only getting around 1gig on the LP(was previously 40).

I replaced one of the 10 gig ground stations with a 20 gig, fixed one of the orbital sats orbits, and added a 20 gig kerbal orbit station. Its now about 30 gigs on the runway.

I'm just curious, lot of variables here. I have about 30 gigs of beamed power that is on its way to jool, so as that gets further might see some power loss. I assumed most of the available power on the LP was from the ground stations though. Will I see local power loss as I have more relays that are farther and farther away?

Small dishes also seem to receive less power, for instance a small dish around duna right now is only getting about 7 gigs, while the largest dish can receive about 13gigs around Duna right now. (This might be by design which is fine, don't recall seeing this in old build)

Tritium does not seem to be breeding with off loaded ships, and neither Tritium nor dueterium are being consumed while off loaded. (I experienced Dueterium not consuming off loaded in old .25 build, but Trit was breeding)

Using all files including dll from your latest, most glorious release :)

I do have some resource problems with MKS/regolith. I am going to work on updating yankees cfgs for that.

Edited by Jarardo1

Well, just before i went to new year party, I checked small radiator performance and i got 190 mw dissipation. Please confirm that waste heat continues to build up to the very end, to 90% bar and more.

Ok, did some further testing on a much cleaner install to remove any extra possibilities. All I have is Kerbanomics (for other testing), hyperedit and KSPI (+dependencies you have linked).

here's the bug steps:

I put a beamed power source in orbit above Kerbin. It's working fine as I mentioned before.

Put a ship in orbit with a microwave receiver, the little dish guy and whatever radiators you like. I'm using a selection of all three in the test, small, regular and huge. Again sandbox so they are all grapheme radiators.

Activate the receiver and watch the waste heat build. All the radiators are fixed at 1485.1K and whatever power output is calculated at that temperature (huge->440MW, regular->110MW, small->27.6MW). Let the waste heat build up. then, turn off the microwave receiver. The temperature will instantly jump to something else (likely determined by waste heat level). It's cute, you can blink the temperature-dependent glow on the radiators toggling the microwave receiver!

Hope it helps.

Also: Happy New Year! Enjoy the party!

Would the microwave fixes affect atmosphere and distance power loss?

Will I see local power loss as I have more relays that are farther and farther away?

Small dishes also seem to receive less power, for instance a small dish around duna right now is only getting about 7 gigs, while the largest dish can receive about 13gigs around Duna right now. (This might be by design which is fine, don't recall seeing this in old build)

Tritium does not seem to be breeding with off loaded ships, and neither Tritium nor dueterium are being consumed while off loaded. (I experienced Dueterium not consuming off loaded in old .25 build, but Trit was breeding)

Microwave reciever dish and those phased arrays differ in surface area, and surface area is used to calculate beam dispersion losses over distance. The larger the reciever is, more efficiently it captures the beam.

New microwave code currently is different from old one in those ways:

-It correctly handles changing varables if reciever and transmitter are close to each other (<2.5 km). You had to offload and load the vessel to apply transmitter changes. Now you can change transmitter parameters and watch the reciever thrust changing in real time

-It manages global transmitter\relay list differently, and uses less file I\O operations per second.

-Beam occlusion code was incorrect, it was letting your crafts to transmit power through planets in some cases. That's probably why your LP power was decreased - less satelites gave you power.

Trit breeding bug noted, will investigate. But it's strange, because I can clearly see 16.11.2014 pull on Fractal's github, wich says "fix_treetium_background_breeding", so it must be fixed already.

UPD. yes, I see what's the case here, will be fixed.

here's the bug steps:

I put a beamed power source in orbit above Kerbin. It's working fine as I mentioned before.

Put a ship in orbit with a microwave receiver, the little dish guy and whatever radiators you like. I'm using a selection of all three in the test, small, regular and huge. Again sandbox so they are all grapheme radiators.

Activate the receiver and watch the waste heat build. All the radiators are fixed at 1485.1K and whatever power output is calculated at that temperature (huge->440MW, regular->110MW, small->27.6MW). Let the waste heat build up. then, turn off the microwave receiver. The temperature will instantly jump to something else (likely determined by waste heat level). It's cute, you can blink the temperature-dependent glow on the radiators toggling the microwave receiver!

I went to radiator code and saw one interesting thing: radiator temperature is limited by the coldest heat source temperature - 1% (wich is pretty logical. You can't cool smthng with smthg hotter. Well, actually you can, but you need to provide additional power (aka freezer)), wich is 1500K for reciever. This approach is correct in general, but it's error-prone in cases when you have multiple reactors on your vessel (like 25k antimatter and ....ty 1.6k fission, so you'll never get your radiators to heat up to 3200k and provide maximum irradiation). I don't see any lightweight solutions for this. To solve this, heating mechanics must be changed pretty seriously, and cooling should now be not global for the whole vessel, but managed in optimal way (distribute radiators between heat sources in optimal way).

In terms of recievers - well, I can just change their coreTemperature to smthg like 3500 K to use graphene radiators at 100% and make it an option in plugin settings config. Will do it on next update.

Edited by Boris-Barboris

For all those people, who get that part enlarging bug in editor:

Right after you are absolutely sure it's a fresh new install (please, remove other mods temporarily), go to any editor (VAB or SPH) and reproduce the bug. If it's still there, please Alt+F4 and post KSP_Data\output_log.txt here. If it's not there, you did something wrong on install previously or one of the mods you deleted was conflicting with KSPI. Try to figure out wich one if you're persistent person :P

Edited by Boris-Barboris

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds bad. Guys, provide me with KSP_Data\output_log.txt with your error reports and don't use x64 game version.

I'll get that file for you next time I get a chance to play.

On an interesting note, I later thought I'd try something and started a new game (sandbox instead of the science mode I've been playing on thus far) and try to reproduce the bug, and it didn't exist in the new sandbox game. Seems it's something related to the science game file. I'll have to start a new science game and see of the issue persists in that instance, to see if it's a save file specific issue or an issue with science mode games in general.

In terms of recievers - well, I can just change their coreTemperature to smthg like 3500 K to use graphene radiators at 100% and make it an option in plugin settings config. Will do it on next update.

Changing the receiver coreTemperature makes sense to me since once you're pushing electrons the "possible temperature" becomes limited by the voltage, which could be quite high.

a6d14f4dd9.jpg

When I try to open KSP with this mod (and a handfull of other mods), once it gets to the 1,25m Antimatter reactor, it stops loading and "freezes" on this one item.

If someone could explain what I can do against this, your advice is highly apreciated because I really want to play Science mode with the mods I have installed.

Looks like I'll have to include CRP in download archive )

WootEva , download Community Resource Pack, it's listed in the starting post as required dependencie.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-90-Community-Resource-Pack-0-3-2-2014-12-24

Edited by Boris-Barboris

For some reason I'm only getting 3.1 GW out of an upgraded 3.75M fusion reactor. Not sure what's wrong. I was all set to start building my microwave network, but it's going to take a long time if it's only going to get 5% out of them. They don't seem to get any more output if they scale up with tweakscale, either.

Mod does NOT work, even on a stock build .90 of kerbal, hangs on the loading screen warpplugin/parts/electrical/antimatterreactor125/antimatterreactor.

No other mods are installed at all .

This makes me sad :( This is one of my favorite mods.....

[...]download Community Resource Pack, it's listed in the starting post as required dependencie.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91998-0-90-Community-Resource-Pack-0-3-2-2014-12-24

Mod does NOT work, even on a stock build .90 of kerbal, hangs on the loading screen warpplugin/parts/electrical/antimatterreactor125/antimatterreactor.

No other mods are installed at all .

This makes me sad :( This is one of my favorite mods.....

I will refer you to the post I quoted above

I'm having a similar issue to WootEva. Mine stops on WarpPlugin/Parts/Engine/vista/part/vista I *DO* have community resource pack in my gamedata folder but it still freezes up right when it gets there.. Tried multiple times.

Also, I made sure that I had CRP in my gamedata folder and I removed the WarpPlugin folder from gamedata to isolate where the problem was coming from. So, after I loaded it up with WarpPlugin out it started up fine. No freezing during the load up but also no interstellar mod... Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Master Tao
merge double post

Hi Boris, thank you for maintaining KSP IS!

I can't seem to mine water. The IRSU Refinery also doesn't show any capacity to store water (even though the option to extract water exists and seem to be working). I looked in the .cfgs in interstellar and CRP and Water seems to be referred to as both "Water" and "Lqdwater". I tried editing the cfg to harmonize the nomenclature with very strange results. Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.