A solar eclipse just destroyed my space station!

Skylion

So there I was, minding my own business preparing to put in the final burn to circulize my orbit. I turn off the engine and deploy the solar panels to the core of my new space station and get ready for the probe to fire the rocket. Suddenly, the probe dies. I look and see that the solar panels are blocked by the Mun. I look up and see the solar eclipse. I do not regain power until space station reaches 40,000 ft and begins to break apart. -_- It cost 80,000 funds to launch too. Has this happened to anyone else?

2014_12_29_00001.jpg

Edited by Skylion

Been there, done that.

Amazing what value a 100 funds battery has on a 100 000 funds spacestation

.... and annoyance factor when your remote Jool probe on its aero braking manover pulls in the solar panels, enters atmosphere behind Jool when

you notice the serious lack of batteries... leading to a dead probe when it emerges from behind jool and theres nothing to do but watch it orbit once

and then plunge back in to its doom.. :mad:

It happened to me while landing a probe on Duna once.

Here's an accurate timeline of events that occured that day.

Landing approach, nice and smooth.

Eclipse, Out of power.

Wait and pray.

End of the eclipse, the probe is alive again.

Need to deploy chutes badly, press space with my forehead, nothing happens.

signal delay to deploy chutes 1m14s, estimated time of impact 1m05s.

"Fudge yourself, I'm getting a coffee, go ahead and crash you stupid chunk of metal"

The coffee was good though.

Edited by Janos1986

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep we all commit unforgivable acts of rampant stupidity from time to time.

In all vehicles, include enough batteries to last you one darkside orbit, plus two eclipses.

In all solar-powered vehicles, include at least 2 opposing surfacemount ox-stat panels, just in case you forget to deploy in time.

In all vehicles, include one teensy-weensy battery, with usage switched off. When you need juice, it can be manually switched on even if all other power is dead.(i typically disable the pod's *own* battery for this)

Edited by MarvinKitFox

We have main bus A undervolt... Bus B is showing zip right now...

Always add 1 RTG to big craft. And enough batteries to run probe core and SAS for 24 hours...

Edited by Guest

In all vehicles, include one teensy-weensy battery, with usage switched off. When you need juice, it can be manually switched on even if all other power is dead.(i typically disable the pod's *own* battery for this)

This is a very useful trick. In fact, I think I got a Stayputnik to Mun and possibly back by doing this when I forgot solar panels. It was a pain, but when it's a no reverts career mission, it's worth it.

I once timewarped in solar orbit with poorly placed stationary solar panels (before I knew about the disable one battery trick)

...Needless to say, the orientation of the craft was just so that it blocked the solar panels for a long time. Couldn't perform the Moho correction burn.

...However, it wasn't all for naught, as I recall it visited Eve, and Dres after a quick... "re-mission-planning" (Basically, it had a crudton of fuel left intended for the Moho circualization burn.) (Was my first time visiting Dres too!)

..Didn't know that eclipses affected solar panels, though, that's interesting :P

Uuuh backup battery. Never thought of that. Neato.

I had a satellite launcher upper stage run out of battery during the circularization burn. Engine had no alternator, couldn't shut it down. The sun being right behind me meant that none of my OX_Stats could generate any power at all. :/ Turns out I had way way way too much delta-v, cause the satellite is now on an eccentric orbit between the orbits of Eve and Dres.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.