Should i play ksp Beta 0.90 with mods or Stock ?

LividPumpkin

If you like the mods, then mod it. Make sure to download and reinstall updated versions of your mods first, though.

I only run three mods - EVE, Mechjeb and Planetshine. But that's cause I like the balance and restriction of stock parts.

I heared about ksp modded 0.90 that it's very buggy what can i play i really dont know what to play i love ksp stock and modded i like KAS And kw rocketry and remote tech and more !!

For last year I've played only with mods (from 10 to 30+), it isn't buggy. All what you need - is to not install incompatible mods, which change the same part of the game e.g. antenna range and remote tech.

My must have mods are: FAR, DRE, Real Chutes and Kerbal Engineer.

Look on CKAN - it's an util that allows you to install/uninstall/update mods without checking every page on forum.

Edited by ddenis

Just give it a try and see how (un)stable it is.

On 64bit you're probably pulling your hair out pretty soon. Even without mods it's very unreliable. And with x86 you're running into the memory wall when you over dose on mods.

If it works, keep it. If it doesn't, kill it. You can always go back to stock.

XJXFao9.png

Mods can improve your gameplay enjoyment immeasurably. New engines, fuel tanks, wings, mining equipment, atmospheric enhancements, winches, and the list goes on and on. Don't worry about upsetting the game balance. Very few mods contain anything close to over-powered parts, and several even ratchet down some of the stock settings for a more challenging, but fun experience. :cool:

screenshot27.png?psid=1

I've played with around 40 mods for the past 4 or so updates, and had little to no problem with performance or crashing. I'm not sure where the impression that mods cause problems comes from as KSP has a vibrant and flourishing modding community.

I turned to mods for a more realistic game. Better aerodynamics with heat damage, life support, and necessary communications made the game that much more exciting for me. Not to mention the many UI improvements and general functionality mods can provide.

Even stock players should use one of the many information displays. I suppose that defeats the purpose of playing "stock", but the information given is invaluable.

Im more of a stock fan, but id say the main reason i stopped modding extensively is DMP, since few good servers even support any part mods.

As for .dll stuff, i strongly reccomend the visual enchancement pack (clouds, ect), it makes the planet a little (err alot) better looking, and if you want to (i disable this personally), you can also use the city lights which makes kerbin look cool at night. Reason i dont use it is cause it looks weird with no actual cities on the planet (looks great in orbit, but rather bad when your low-mid level flying and see no real buildings).

I also reccomend getting HyperEdit, not for its cheat aspects, but for the ability to say move stuff somewhere u want for scenarios. I mostly use it instead of MJ's automation. I fly 1-3 craft somewhere, and if im assembling a base or whatnot, ill Hedit the rest of the ships into place to save time and cut down on in my opinion boring repetitive tasks (like launching 10+ of the exact same craft to laythe when im resupplying a carrier).

FAR/NEAR aerodynamics (well my custom version of NEAR/FAR which ditches every single feature but drag based on profile instead of mass and the new less soupy atmosphere). Stock aerodynamics are really really bad, they work, but thats more or less all they do. If you want to build realistic planes, realistic rockets, and have a more real life feel to craft (ive played alot of flight sims before this game, so the stock ksp flight modeling is kinda crap), get one of these mods (FAR is the more realistic, but if you just want a taste of better aerodynamics NEAR will work better, doesnt have all the features FAR has and is easier to work with).

B9 aerospace (ive always preferred planes even for space stuff, so well the pack worked well for me over the years. Recently i stopped using it, as the stuff that i really liked were the larger fuselages, which are now at least made partially redundant with the addition of MK-2 and MK-3 parts to stock. If you want more aircraft parts, go ahead and add it, but if you are like me and are satisfied with the stuff the devs added, it might be best to save on precious RAM and get something that doesnt load a crapton of textures/parts that happen to be rather high-res.

Theres one more mod i used to use but cant find it anymore, it made it possible to modify a craft file and make all jets flame out at the same time. If i can remember or find this mod again, id so be using this on many SSTO builds i make.

Also, if you like combat get BDArmory, its the only half decent and somewhat balanced weapons mod out there. I know weapons are only for a small subset of the community, but if you like to shoot stuff, that mod is nice (i use it here and there, although i have to say its actually aloty of fun to fight with stock weapons, torpedoes, kinetic missiles, ibeam rockets, ect)

Anyways, its not really possible to answer the OP's question, do whatever you like. If you want to play online, you are limited to pretty much stock parts with all the popular servers supporting most .dll mods, but new custom mod parts do not work there at all. If you mostly play single-player, then if there is a feature you think would be nice to have, by all means add it. Provided you dont hit KSP 32bit memory wall (dont have too too many mods at once), you can keep adding mods as you see fit, and if you dislike one mod or another, just remove it.

I'm playing with approx 30 mods in .9 myself. The vast majority of mods have been updated to .9 and work fine. Kw rocketry and remote tech, last I checked, haven't been officially updated but if you scan through the last couple pages of their respective threads you will find they either work or can be made to work in .9 just fine. My main issue is running out of memory because I like part mods too much :)

In short, if the only reason you're not using mods is because you're worried about compatibility issues, then start using mods. If you're asking for a recommendation on whether to play modded or not, then I say play with mods. If you like it great, if you don't, then play stock :)

I played for a long time without mods...now I don't think I could go back to stock, and thus I am still in .25 until all my mods are updated to .90...

My recommendation is hold off on modding until the game starts to lose interest for you, then start dropping in mods that interest you.

I'm at the point now where I have like 40 must have mods or I don't consider the game worth playing....its really a hassle keeping up with them all, so if you can avoid catching the terrible illness of mod dependancy do it. I have it bad.

I'd suggest a compromise: select the mods that are most essential to you. My own essential mod list is very short indeed: Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Ferram Aerospace Research, Procedural Fairings. Once you have your essentials in place, add mods as you feel is necessary instead of on a whim. Having a KSP install loaded down with as few mods as possible tends to up stability by quite an appreciable margin, I find.

Simple answer: If you have to ask if you should mod it, then you should not.

Why? Because if you have to ask if you should mod it then you will have to ask which mods you should use and if you are incapable of deciding to mod or not to mod, you will never be able to decide which mods you like and which mods you don't.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're new to the game I'd say play stock for a bit. You'll soon find out what features you want that the game doesn't have, and that's when There's A Mod For That.

Most mods individually aren't too buggy, though a few are worse offenders. The thing to watch for is if you go in for multiple RAM-hungry mods - part packs and planet changing/adding mods mainly - you can suffer out-of-memory crashes since KSP on Windows is a 32-bit program. Solutions to that are to not use all of those mods at once, to run KSP on Linux which has a stable 64-bit version, or to use another mod that reduces RAM usage.

Stock is actually less balanced than quite a few mods, and doesn't mechjeb take all the balance out of it?

Mechjeb in career mode is interesting. It doesn't give you the moon on a stick, not at first anyway. You have to progress through the science tree, and unlock various probe nodes, before mechjeb functions start to be unlocked. By the time you get the "click here to space" Ascent Autopilot, you've probably already manually made orbit enough times for it to be a tedious step on your way to another planet. That, and all MJ is, is a flight computer. It can't make a badly designed rocket fly well.

As for the OP, just try it all! I have stock installs, modded installs of various flavours, and they all get played. Do whatever's fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.