What have you made with Mk 3?

Alshain

There are some neat ideas here. I especially like King Arthurs piggy back plane. I'm not sure what purpose it serves but it does look cool.

Originally the piggybacked Mk2 shuttle was launched STS-style like so:

pEWvjeC.png

However, that launcher is expendable. I wanted to make a recoverable, reusable launcher to cut down on costs, so I made those carrier shuttles. The Mk2 shuttle itself carries a crew of 6 and has a full-size Mk2 cargo bay for carrying stuff, as well as hauling other smaller ships around via its junior docking port on its underside.

Edited by King Arthur

I have been playing with very small spaceplanes that fit in the Mk3 Cargo Bays... if we think of the different sized bays as single, double and quad, I have now go it down to fitting in a double-bay...

3D90ACA43AB179A86F6081E3FD04E4D5D5435FD5

And it fits inside a double bay with ease!

9130B4A49B59F4EE02A713025CFC1C0B1CE1B3E5

(shown attached to the bottom of a Laythe Space Station, but could be flipped round as there is also a docking port in the bottom of the cargo bay - the station takes up nearly the whole quad bay itself!)

I have made two MK3 spaceplanes capable of runway-orbit-runway. One just carries a crew of three the second adds 16 passengers. With the efficient inline fuel tanks, both were made without air-breathing engines.

I think larger landing gear would be nice, but the new MK3 parts are great for wingless rockets as well.

I made this:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

New landing gear and cargo ramps would definitely help. Maybe a MK2 inline VTOL engine would let me lift my MK3 designs, just so I can land them in places without runways.

Also airbrakes. That's a must have.

EDIT: Also this:

ecG6mpR.jpg

The cargo one flies sooooo well with NEAR aero. It's one of my best MK3 crafts so far.

Edited by Veeltch

with stock parts i really don't think it is possible to make a Mk3 SSTO that can carry cargo something like a full red tank (which is my goal). I got one I was working on, but could only get an empty Red tank to orbit with the help of some boosters and a VTOL using MK2 parts

redtankSSTO.jpg

I just need some bigger wing pieces ( easier to use) and bigger landing gear and I'll be good. That's when you say high to the space shuttle.

Have you tried Procedural Wings? I think it is very useful for structural reasons.

I tried building a Shuttle as well, but encountered a few problems with hull integrity :) Sometimes it seems like all you need is a fuel tank gently touching the Mk3 Parts and the whole thing disassembles completely, any way to get around that problem?

Edit:

refined the shuttle stack. works alright until reentry, then it sooner or later turns into and completely uncontrollable stone tumbling to earth.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by quasarquantum

Mk. 3 jets are so totally possible. Just takes some creativity.

I made this passenger jet turned shuttle carrier. Westi29 made the shuttle. His shuttle is orbit capable. This is a video of a NASA style drop test for the shuttle. Enjoy!

I love the new Mk3 parts. I made this with them:

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjQtMTMtNTAtNDYucG5nKmIzNjg2ODE3MjFkYzM1ZWYzNzQxYmU5NTljZGM3NmVk

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjQtMTMtNTMtNTYucG5nKjcxZDIyZmZjODQyMjZjODNhY2I1ZGVlZTE4NDZmNDg0

It's slightly hard to ascend but it's much easier when using the RCS vernier things (I put so many that it lagged my game every time I used them :P). Descent is easier, but I used the stock souposphere for this so it doesn't glide AT ALL (even with 2 layers of wings) without using the Rapiers on the shuttle.

I eventually got so proud of it that I replaced the external tank and boosters with Procedural Parts and modded the Skipper exhaust to look more like an SSME (using the glorious engine exhaust from the Component Space Shuttle's SSMEs [made a bit more red]):

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjgtMTYtMTMtNDcucG5nKmE3NTY2YTY0Y2ExNDY2YmFhYjA4ZjAyYzY4NDliNmVk

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjgtMTYtMTQtNDYucG5nKjk2ZmE1YzY1OTM3OTMyZTEyZmY0MmIyOGMxY2VlOTAz

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjgtMTYtMTYtMjQucG5nKjlmOTA2ZjgzY2Q2NzAyMjg0ZGNlYmM5YWNmMGJiOTY1

(Yes, I got the exhaust to expand and become invisible at high altitudes. I love Smokescreen.)

I also made this:

yb7UaI4.png

I don't know how much cargo it can take to orbit, but it CAN take some cargo:

Index.php?cmd=image&sfpg=bXl0aGJ1c3RlcnM4NDQvKm15dGhidXN0ZXJzODQ0IDIwMTQtMTItMjgtMTgtNDItMDQucG5nKjE1YmFiZDYxYjFkMzM5MmJjYzcyODVjZDM2NmQzMTM3

Unfortunately, I can't use it anymore due to me installing FAR. But it was worth it :sticktongue:.

Edited by mythbusters844

I still prefer to lift heavy stuff from Kerbin via rockets, however I did design a VTOL SSTO for going to and from the surface of Laythe, and so far it's my only successful (ie functional) application of the Mk3 parts. On Kerbin, it can marginally lift off vertically with no payload and full fuel tanks, and comes up just shy of achieving a circular orbit. On Laythe however, with 80% of Kerbin's gravity, it works nicely in both hovering and reaching stable orbit. Not worried about reaching orbit at Laythe with a payload, all cargo will be going down to the surface, not back up.

The SR-21 'Pegasus'

X-21HeavySSTOFlightTest_zps17f864da.jpg

The current version has an inverted cargo bay in the forward section to just drop things like a Science Lab to the surface directly. But when I saw Lack's Mk3 cargo ramp from his SXT mod, I threw it on there to try out cuz it looked really nice. A Mobile Science Lab won't fit through there though. Good for rovers I'm sure. With the exception of that part in this photo, everything else is stock.

Early version prior to adding the ventral drop bay and the wingtip dihedral.

X-21atnight_zps7dc5e8ac.png

For those that are curious, Lack's SXT link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/79542-25-SXT-Lack-s-Stock-Extension-SXT-19-07DEC14-KSC-v3

He has some cool stuff in there, like Kerbal trucks :)

Edited by Raptor9
Updated photobucket link

4. Mk3->2.5m adapter into multi-couplers/engines.

That will let you attach four turbojets when the cross sectional area of mk3 fuselage easily has space for 9 (but requires 9 extra small fuel tanks or structural fuselages instead of one huge>9x1m adapter).

2. Mk2 wings can lift the Mk3.

At best, you end up using ten times more parts instead of a single larger wing (no need for kerbodyne tanks because could just glue 100s of a FL-T100s together, right?)

At best, "limited" structural integrity means you will ned struts, which limits the maximum wingspan to about three long rectangular structural wings because struts have a maximum length and can't be used to connect adjacent wing segments (biplanes would allow for larger wings since you can criss-cross struts instead of having to connect every part to the main fuselage).

My first attempt at a mk3 SSTO:

9i4pl1.png

Problems:

Cargo bay was empty, it probably won't perform as well with extra payload.

Two of the back engines impacted the runway on take-off. But that was probably just my crappy flying.

The SABRE engines overheat at full thrust in closed-cycle mode. Might redesign with 3 engines per cluster instead of 4.

Does it fly? U haz craft file? Is it stock?

Judging from the photo, it's not stock. The main engines and vertical tail fin look like mods, as well as the wings and underside since they're all black. The main landing gear looks like it's from BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.