OMICRON - Flying Space Car Development Thread

Climberfx

Update:

UVW from this (pic 1), to this (pic 2), scaled tiles.

How's that? Now the textures of the universal motor adapter.

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 6.48.41 PM

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 8.05.55 PM

On one side connection to one or two rocket and jet engines, bearing ducts for oxidizing, fuel and pressurized air, plus positive and negative energy connectors.

On the other side, xenon, positive and negative energy, for up to 3 engines ions.

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 8.07.51 PM

Doing the high poly engine_adapter for posterior normal map and texture creation...

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 1.02.48 AM

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 1.02.56 AM

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 1.30.00 AM

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 10.13.19 PM

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 10.13.35 PM

Update:

Texture and normal done. I'm still going to give some love here, but the thick one's gone. Now I'm going to the back adapters engine variants.

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.16.12 AM

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.16.40 AM

Edited by Climberfx

How heavy do you expect the "standard" configuration of Omicron to be? I really want to bring one to Laythe, but having the specs for a capable launcher would be nice. I know it can reach orbit on it's own, but I would prefer for it to land with as much fuel as possible.

4 hours ago, hieywiey said:

How heavy do you expect the "standard" configuration of Omicron to be? I really want to bring one to Laythe, but having the specs for a capable launcher would be nice. I know it can reach orbit on it's own, but I would prefer for it to land with as much fuel as possible.

I don't remember the exactly weight of it, but will be proporcional to game, but a little bit lighter (just a little, taking in point the new materials we have in real life today).

So, a similar vehicle, but a little big heavy, is the one that make me starting this project, that is based on B9 parts. I can't check know this because my KSP is not with all parts and mods that i used on this VAB craft, but if you play with then, that is a good start.

So, a little bit lighter, because mine is smaller then this B9 parts. But remember, practically all my parts have a little big of fuel capability, so, take in count how much fuel you will but on it. All is calculated in volume on model, discounting wall and material thickness.

Here the ref. (May be the weight is on one of those Mechjeb or KER menus on the screen...)

Update:

UVW from the back ready, now drifting to the other sizes and formats. (1 and 2 motors, ions, etc)

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.22.11 PM

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.17.00 PM

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.21.20 PM

Size two done.

Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 12.17.47 AM

Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 12.17.27 AM

Edited by Climberfx

That universal bulkhead is nice.   If you want to experiment further, you could try making the various components of it toggle on and off using some form of mesh-switcher.

Another thing you could do is wrap the whole thing on a small number of polygons by using parallax mapped transparencies.

4 hours ago, Ruedii said:

That universal bulkhead is nice.   If you want to experiment further, you could try making the various components of it toggle on and off using some form of mesh-switcher.

Another thing you could do is wrap the whole thing on a small number of polygons by using parallax mapped transparencies.

That is possible, besides the parts would be a lot heavier for the game. For now i'm trying to put details, but keeping low poly and reusing map textures at most.

After first release i will think on that (and other suggestions) with love.

update:

Aerobrakes!

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 9.36.32 PM

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 9.36.44 PM

Almost there...

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 10.05.53 PM

Edited by Climberfx

You should add some overpowered tech with descriptions that go like this: "One day we were studying a time-space anomaly. The next day we found that we were transported to the year 30XX. We stole some space tech blueprints from that time period and returned to back to our time period. After 5 days and several explosions we managed to successfully build and test the tech without any explosions."

Edited by Kombat engineer
added "

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.