For the Fairest: Prettiest Spaceplane Challenge

CargoPlane16

8WwsyDT.jpg

Easily can deliver 15 tons of stuff to Laythe, then go to Duna and return to Kerbin.

With a small payload and additional fuel tanks can visit Dres or Eello and return

Xqgf7X8.jpg

Edited by fenya

Here's mine, The SDV-100K Arrow or the satellite delivery vehicle to 100km also known as the STV Arrow.

By far my favourite AS TO I've ever made, it can fly up to 100km deliver a 2mT satellite and return to KSC.

Only 1 mod involved: Mechjeb for DeltaV

KIAHWCK.png

Also at the moment I don't know who to vote for so I'll edit this post after school tomorrow.

Edited by Commander Jebidiah

Do outdated planes count?

This one was my most resilient, reliable and maneuverable heavy cargo ship:

http://i.imgur.com/OtMyqdF.jpg

It is partially responsible for making this base on Laythe:

http://i.imgur.com/CEXa8Eu.jpg

(each time I delivered 20~24t payloads, each time different plane (each delivered 3 modules))

P.S. ima gonna have to vote for Major Jim's plane, look how perfect it is! Not to mention the ssto capability. :0.0:

Have you rebuilt any of these Overfloater? Or are you waiting for 1.0? I cannot wait to see what is possible with the stock fairings!

I'd like to present my SS2a. Not practical as anything but a crew shuttle, but she's tiny, she'll walk up to an 80x80 orbit with fuel to spare - and I think she's rather pretty.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'd also like to contend that my Space Shuttle functional replica (the last two images) is as least mildly easy on the eye. (That's functional replica as in she looks nothing like the original but works in the same way)

not 100% sure whose craft i want to vote for yet..

Anywho.

I like to think White Lightning is a mean looking piece of equipment.

bGuLJdA.jpg

njGQeOq.jpg

26xF1T2.jpg

ZKKr2CH.jpg

Yz4jQv3.jpg

ZIpJ27H.jpg

100km orbit

V4ga3WA.jpg

map view

SzKKSt1.jpg

at 2 million km orbit

qPJezyX.jpg

map view

OVreYzb.jpg

To the mun

fZ0QmWM.jpg

s5SttF7.jpg

657tTON.jpg

vuNCSvP.jpg

close flye bye of mun

LeZQFUM.jpg

Bye mun

lNOuR4W.jpg

MTE96Jv.jpg

back to 5000km orbit

XJ5khMZ.jpg

iIImzPT.jpg

Back to Kerbin

DSxndac.jpg

JXka224.jpg

t9wP55b.jpg

After all that there is still over 2000 lf/oxidizer left to be used.

3isuGGd.jpg

Download link:

http://www./download/i3joocrfij76s5q/White+Lightning+mk2.craft

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Can you guess what it is yet?

screenshot36.png

It's a Gatecrasher entry because I did use non-stock engines.

screenshot37.png

Though I could have, if I'd left the intakes on, used the Rapiers, but I decided against it because the flat heatsinks look better than the intakes.

screenshot38.png

Which all but killed my fuel to overcome the drag so I was glad to get rid of them and use the pretty dragless heatsinks instead.

screenshot39.png

Incidentally, it does have a cargo space right behind the cockpit. There are no vertical control surfaces whatsoever, yaw control is entirely RCS.

Edited by ihtoit

My favorite SSTO to date I've built follows a "less is more" mentality. I used this one in another challenge and I find myself re-using this design quite a bit.

Re-introducing the Hornet.

For my vote of currently submitted entries, I like Majorjim's Eagle-1.

Here's my entry - an attempt to build something "stylish": the Avalon SSTO (yeah I am bad at names)

It has a top and bottom MK2 cargobay, for this flight I filled both with a FL-400 and FL200 each. Could probably carry heavier stuff as well. Minor clipping, most notably the MK2 Bicoupler that connects the top and lower hull, but I emptied its tanks so it should be ok.

My vote goes to Reistlyn's SSTO Noctuoidea-2. That's a tiny but badass plane.

Edited by LordFjord

Heres my HK-133 "Tri-Fighter III"

YQFv7IV.png

Cinematic Screenie (yes i launched it on a rocket, but that picture looked beyond epic, normally its a SSTO airplane thing that takes off from runway).

Just some random screenies of it.

And ofc, if it SSTOs, it better be able to land on laythe and return to kerbin, or its not AKSTechnologies certified :D.

Combat testing my newest model.

There is some variantion from version to version (laythe one obviously cant have any weapon on it or the dV drops below laythe requirement). And i like the look of the shielded dock on the nose best, but its heavier and less useful then a claw.

Its predecessor, the Tri-Fighter II was heavily influenced by the Viper from BSG, and you can still see some resemblance in the newest Tri-Fighter III variant, although i ended up moving to a rather new design, more for functionality (and in my opinion even better looks).

Ohh and as for my vote, i like the look of the Eagle-1 by Majorjim best, it kinda reminds me of my stargate F-302 replica with those angled wings and 3 engine layout.

Edited by panzer1b

this is brilliant. voted most clever use of telescopic antenna

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.