OS Poll

Newt

What is Your Operating System?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Operating System?

My laptop on which I do most internet things is a mac dual booting OSX 10.9.2 (which I use 95% of the time) and Win 7(for KSP on the go). My gaming PC runs Win7 exclusively.

If the only thing you use the Win7 install on your laptop for is KSP, you might as well get the OS X version.

as a hardware person (and i say that loosely cause im also a coder) i could never use a machine i didnt build myself. macs do not fit this criteria and hackintosh is also a thing im not doing (except possibly for science).

I've heard 8.1 isn't bad, performance wise.. Can't speak from experience though.

its ok if you install classic shell. if i dont like 10 i might move to linux. linux is starting to get really good.

Edited by Nuke

as a hardware person (and i say that loosely cause im also a coder) i could never use a machine i didnt build myself. macs do not fit this criteria and hackintosh is also a thing im not doing (except possibly for science).

its ok if you install classic shell. if i dont like 10 i might move to linux. linux is starting to get really good.

I use Linux solely for everything, and I've never looked back. It was a bit hazardous in 2006, but these days it's slick. Better again if you don't suffer from CLI-phobia, but you rarely need to touch a terminal if you don't want to anymore.

yea that is one of the things that has improved greatly. the other is the way it deals with proprietary drivers. i didnt have to do any sudo-fu to install nvidia drivers for example. also wifi now seems to work out of the box.

only thing i didnt like is ubuntu's new gui. but thats the thing about linux, dont like something about your distro, find another. i hear good things about mint.

Edited by Nuke

thats the thing about linux, dont like something about your distro, find another.

Or, if you don't mind some "sudo-fu" just swap out that component. You can install another desktop environment / GUI alongside the Ubuntu default & pick which to load at login time :)

If the only thing you use the Win7 install on your laptop for is KSP, you might as well get the OS X version.

I would, but this lappy dates to 2009 so the video card kind of sucks, and it sucks worse when running on OS-X for some reason. Comparing frame rates in something like Team Fortress 2 I get a massive performance improvement when running in Windows versus OS X.

EDIT: I used to use it in the past for lots of stuff - I've gotten my fair use out of it. :) Didn't install it for KSP, but nowadays it's mostly why I have it.

Edited by moogoob

I use Gentoo GNU/Linux and Apple System-10/OS-X at home and RedHat, CentOS, Debian, ..., Win7, WinNT-4.something and some other OS-like things professionally. Or were we just talking about personal systems?

Linux was my primary home OS for most of my college years, and I've been a Gentoo'er since its inception. However... I've been an OS-X user for the last several years because the photo/video management tools on Linux are terrible (not counting Gimp). Lightroom has me solidly anchored to whatever the latest OS-X is, which is UNIX enough for me. (It pretty much ceased being an Apple system after I started meddling with it though.) My other home hardware is all Gentoo, and maybe one thing still on Arch.

I now play KSP on Windows 8.1, because the OS-X version of this game is no longer playable with any serious mods on my MacBook's hardware. (And ATM makes it worse.) That's the only thing my WinBox gets used for.

You'd have to pay me money to use anything Android again.

I've heard 8.1 isn't bad, performance wise.. Can't speak from experience though.

The kernal is probably one of the better ones they've made, but they went "all in" betting on tablets completely taking over everything and built their GUI around that. The result is a fairly frustrating experience for desktop/laptop users.

8.1 was supposed to improve the GUI, but, well....

That kind of explains it perfectly. I have a win 8.1 desktop and laptop, and win 8.1 killed the only reason I go to the tile menu, which was for my email. Now, the tile for email just shows a blue square with an error message.

Microsoft. Fix the operating system. Let me say that again. Fix. The. Operating. System.

Oh, and stop doing things like this http://www.tomsguide.com/us/age-of-empires-castle-siege,review-2381.html

I currently run 64bit Mint 17 'Maya' with KDE desktop, and I rate it. It seems a lot more lightweight than Kubuntu, and not as bloated. I recommend switching from Ubuntu to Mint.

I've been through nearly every distro over the years. Obviously Ubuntu, but I stopped because of the neverending increase in bloatware on install. I use crunchbang for my netbook still, but only because it can't handle anything else. I did like Gentoo, but stopped using it, just because I was exploring other stuff. I tried one recently called 'Bodhi' but it was a bit too much tinsel for me. I have TAILS on a bootable USB which I use if I'm anywhere without my laptop, and have access to a computer, it's great.

I currently run 64bit Mint 17 'Maya' with KDE desktop, and I rate it. It seems a lot more lightweight than Kubuntu, and not as bloated..

Main reason I don't run 'buntu. Haven't tried Mint in ages, I tend to stick with mainline Debian these days and only install the bits I want, it's amazing how much fat one can trim off KDE :)

I have OS X on every computer I use directly, and Linux on servers, computer clusters, and similar things.

I used Linux on desktop for over a decade, but eventually I gave up, realizing that it will never be a good desktop OS. Far too often, I started using a new piece of software that slowly became better, as it was developed over the years. Then, at some point, its developers lost their minds, and started deliberately making the software worse. I got tired of switching to a new web browser, desktop environment, or office suite once in a few years, and started looking for alternatives. Windows was out of question, because its operating logic was too different, and it wouldn't have been really compatible with the tools I used. I chose OS X, which turned out to be a better "Linux" desktop than any actual Linux.

This is fairly interesting to see, I never knew so many of us here did multibooting.

As for my computer situation, frustration with Suse is leading me to a complete wipe of the hardrive and reinstallation of...something else. Looking at going to Arch and keeping a more stable second OS in case anything goes wrong.

(cross one off the Windows list)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.