FAR from impossible - making things fly, when they shouldn't [Finished! Now with pics]

IMHO rule 9 could be removed on the grounds "FAR means add nosecones" is an obvious and easy thing to do.

Anyway, unfortunately I've only ever done planes seriously in FAR. If you were open to rocket entries I could probably come up with something.

Actually, maybe you could make this real life design work in FAR? http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1907_flying_machine.jpg

These submissions look awesome, I have my last test tomorrow then I can work on all of them.

@5thHorseman: Not using DRE here, so that would not be an issue.

I would just need a way to trim some stuff.

@regex: FAR handles the wing interactions quite nicely, which is painful.

I won't cover those nodes, there is no fun in doing that.

@Tw1: It's too cool to be left aside, it's in.

@cantab: The thing is that I don't want to add the nosecones.

No wings small enough to make a replica, and I won't build a craft from zero, but it would be great if you built an oversized version of it.

@Flixxbeatz: Why not? :)

Just make sure it's a KSP 0.90 version.

I guess my plane is too baller for tetryds, he's pretending it isn't there, maybe I should have broken one of his rules? ;)
#ballinornothin #MLG420NOSCOPECHEATOHERRYDAY

E: I actually have a feeling yours might fly quite well, but the stacked wings might need some reduced mass.

I am not ignoring anyone, I am sorry, but I studied all day (and will do it for the rest of the night) for my last test tomorrow as I said up there.

Thus I only had time for one craft today during my dinner break...

Not showing it yet.

I had a design I wanted to submit, but I noticed your rules explicitly state "No VTOLs".

I wanted to know:

1. Is a plane that is V/HTOL acceptable?

2. Is it too difficult/impossible to do VTOLs in FAR?

http://i.imgur.com/ulZhyes.jpg

But your plane looks fine, this is meant for planes which should not work :P

If it can take off horizontally but still has an engine pointing up there is no problem on that, as long as you don't abuse part clipping.

I see that apparently some people want their stock design to simply work on FAR, I did not guess that would be a thing before...

This gave me an idea, but not for now.

Working on some planes :)

sal_vager, what the hell.

But your plane looks fine, this is meant for planes which should not work :P

If it can take off horizontally but still has an engine pointing up there is no problem on that, as long as you don't abuse part clipping.

I see that apparently some people want their stock design to simply work on FAR, I did not guess that would be a thing before...

This gave me an idea, but not for now.

Working on some planes :)

sal_vager, what the hell.

Well, in my case, I'm mostly just curious how much I would need to change my build-style to work with FAR. Apparently not too much :)

I'll try to make an, uh, interesting plane for you to work with :)

Finished crafts:

far_from_flyable - Nemrav

FarFromLikely - RedIronCrown

SomethingYawful - RedIronCrown (test bonus, not official)

Starstreaker III - Starwhip

Stupid is as stupid does - regex

To be done:

Boatatron - TW1

Ham Sandwich - sal_vager (finished, but rebuilding to avoid a symmetry over symmetry bug)

If your craft is not on the list please point to it.

You have the rest of the day to submit your crafts :)

tetryds mentioned my entry and I realized I forgot to link it here:

FarFromLikely craft file

Pic in stable flight (flies nicely in stock, I landed it on the first attempt with nearly all fuel aboard but no oxidizer):

screenshot144.png

Bonus craft from when we were talking about the open node rule (this entry violates rule 9):

SomethingYawful craft file

Pic in stable flight:

screenshot153.png

Oh boys, the intensity.... Can I maintain my high rating ? Will some people come out of nowhere...

Somehow I'm guessing far_from_flyable and ham_sandwich will finish NEAR the bottom, as mine already flew in FAR and Vager's looked sound.. Then From the looks of it Far_from_Likely and stupid will compete at the top....

If your craft is not on the list please point to it.

You have the rest of the day to submit your crafts :)

Oh. I didn't know there was a time limit. I'll (obviously) have to bow out. FAR too busy to do this in the next couple hours.

I'll probably still try it myself. Always wanted to.

Oh. I didn't know there was a time limit. I'll (obviously) have to bow out. FAR too busy to do this in the next couple hours.

I'll probably still try it myself. Always wanted to.

I won't do this only once, no worries.

This is the first time, I had no idea what to expect and have some plans for it.

Boatatron from TW1 was... finished ;)

Ok so, long story short yesterday night my computer went kaput (that was after the previous issue).

I have no idea how long it will take to get fixed/if it will get fixed at all.

I have everything saved on my dropbox, and could share it right now, but I don't have pics nor anything.

I managed to fly, and land, all of the planes, but some of them require special ninjaskills to get off the ground or even turn.

So, if you think you are good enough to get these bathtubs airborne and take some pictures please pm me and I will give you all of them, you give me the pics and I post the results, with credits :)

You also get a super secret special prize I am thinking about.

But, as I said, it's not like it will be easy, so please don't ask for them if you have any doubts about your piloting prowess.

Edited by tetryds

I am not sure if he... nevermind, lol.

Posting results!

May take a bit of time from a mobile so I will edit this post when I am done.

Trust me all of them do fly, if someone send pics I will attach them.

Results are up!

Slowly adding more info :)

Edited by tetryds