[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

at the moment with no cheats enabled and two full 1.25 to mk2 tanks and a couple of mk0's that are also full it can do about 60+ms, with a bit of trimming I can get the weight down again by quite a bit, and I think the engines could be tweaked further, there are only 6 junos in each, 88 parts and 7 tons wet. The bearing is sweet even better than mine was, but I guess if you wack some panthers on it you might upset it.

That's almost a given, especially with afterburner enabled. I've come to love the Juno, even if you need 6 times as many to replace one basic jet. The Panther is lousy for anything subsonic and what we build will never go transonic anyway.

25 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

TOTALLY agree with you in all those aspects, but I was just saying if you want to get more performance you can change some stuff.

Yo Azimech, why does this happen?

Funny just yesterday I was busy with a similar design using a MK2 cargo bay. My guess it's because of a friction spike that gives the whole plane a jolt. check engine RPM ... if it's jumping it's feeding it's own torque to the airframe.

Possible causes:
Too much bearing clearance (low freq vibration) or too little (high freq vibration) ... and MK1 parts are too large to really fit ... I was really disappointed when I saw that.

Other news: Yesterday I saw one of my engines do 49 rad/s before it failed. I'm redesigning my thrust bearing again and using new blower tech. RPM has such a huge influence on engine power that I'm going to ask @NathanKell if the standard value can be increased from 30 to 50 rad/s, which is the PhysX limit anyway.
Oh what do you know ... I just did.

Edited by Azimech

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

That's almost a given, especially with afterburner enabled. I've come to love the Juno, even if you need 6 times as many to replace one basic jet. The Panther is lousy for anything subsonic and what we build will never go transonic anyway.

Funny just yesterday I was busy with a similar design using a MK2 cargo bay. My guess it's because of a friction spike that gives the whole plane a jolt. check engine RPM ... if it's jumping it's feeding it's own torque to the airframe.

Possible causes:
Too much bearing clearance (low freq vibration) or too little (high freq vibration) ... and MK1 parts are too large to really fit ... I was really disappointed when I saw that.

Other news: Yesterday I saw one of my engines do 49 rad/s before it failed. I'm redesigning my thrust bearing again and using new blower tech. RPM has such a huge influence on engine power that I'm going to ask @NathanKell if the standard value can be increased from 30 to 50 rad/s, which is the PhysX limit anyway.
Oh what do you know ... I just did.

how can I remedy the vibration issues? it seems like whenever I build engines the hit boxes on the wheels are very strange and buggy. Also, what did you just do?

39 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

how can I remedy the vibration issues? it seems like whenever I build engines the hit boxes on the wheels are very strange and buggy. Also, what did you just do?

Do you have wheels positioned on any other angle than dead straight on your turbine shaft? It might be solved in 1.1.3 but in 1.1.2 wheels have a bug which makes the wheels & suspension jolt violently. Also, finding the right spring/damper ratio is a matter of trial & error.

Also I suspect a longer shaft makes it more stable on the longitudinal axis but it also gives more strain on the bearings while cornering. I'm experimenting with a few different shaft setups and my findings are as follows: using the MK1 crew cabin, having excellent crash tolerance but being very heavy, is generally more stable, more rigid and is less subject to high frequency radial vibration but when it does it puts more strain on the bearings, further more there is power loss in the general setup and overall higher craft mass, not to mention a big strain on the bearings at high speed cornering. A new method I've discovered is to build a shaft using the MK1 structural fuselage (which was my previous favourite choice due to the high crash tolerance in 0.90 - 1.0.4) and use the claw to slide it into place of the bearing wheels. The claw has a mass of only 75 kg but a very high crash tolerance and a slightly larger diameter than the 1.25 parts. This setup is 1550 kg lighter than the MK1 crew cabin shaft but it has it's own problems: tendency to high freq radial po-go, more flexible joints which can bend the shaft and give it a mass imbalance and the right spring/damper setup becomes even more important. But ... engine efficiency improves a lot!

And what I did ... I mentioned NathanKell and so he received a notification.

Edited by Azimech

5 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Well, if you've seen my car you should know that gears do work. But I don't think they work very well or even at all at the high speeds required to lift a helicopter. ... ... Back to gears though, I think the problem arises in the collisions between the gear teeth. as they hit each other pretty hard even at low speeds. I used the structural panels because they have one of the highest crash tolerances. Wing segments and other similar parts with low crash tolerances don't work at all as gears.

I actually found that gears made from thermometers work quite well even at high speeds (I found this out while working on a helicopter with intermeshing rotors. I never bothered to complete it though. If someone wants it I could however do so)

35 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Do you have wheels positioned on any other angle than dead straight on your turbine shaft? It might be solved in 1.1.3 but in 1.1.2 wheels have a bug which makes the wheels & suspension jolt violently. Also, finding the right spring/damper ratio is a matter of trial & error.

Also I suspect a longer shaft makes it more stable on the longitudinal axis but it also gives more strain on the bearings while cornering. I'm experimenting with a few different shaft setups and my findings are as follows: using the MK1 crew cabin, having excellent crash tolerance but being very heavy, is generally more stable, more rigid and is less subject to high frequency radial vibration but when it does it puts more strain on the bearings, further more there is power loss in the general setup and overall higher craft mass, not to mention a big strain on the bearings at high speed cornering. A new method I've discovered is to build a shaft using the MK1 structural fuselage (which was my previous favourite choice due to the high crash tolerance in 0.90 - 1.0.4) and use the claw to slide it into place of the bearing wheels. The claw has a mass of only 75 kg but a very high crash tolerance and a slightly larger diameter than the 1.25 parts. This setup is 1550 kg lighter than the MK1 crew cabin shaft but it has it's own problems: tendency to high freq radial po-go, more flexible joints which can bend the shaft and give it a mass imbalance and the right spring/damper setup becomes even more important. But ... engine efficiency improves a lot!

And what I did ... I mentioned NathanKell and so he received a notification.

This is getting very complicated   :|

4 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I actually found that gears made from thermometers work quite well even at high speeds (I found this out while working on a helicopter with intermeshing rotors. I never bothered to complete it though. If someone wants it I could however do so)

Someone made one in 0.90, can be found somewhere in the early pages of this topic.

5 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Well, if you've seen my car you should know that gears do work. But I don't think they work very well or even at all at the high speeds required to lift a helicopter. Also, keep in mind that the theoretical speed limit for props is around 50 RAD/s So I don't know how you'll achieve 4800 KN under the current limitations of KSP physics. Back to gears though, I think the problem arises in the collisions between the gear teeth. as they hit each other pretty hard even at low speeds. I used the structural panels because they have one of the highest crash tolerances. Wing segments and other similar parts with low crash tolerances don't work at all as gears.

To give you and others an insight: there are two major flaws in KSP/Unity at this time: joint flexibility and collider stiffness based on part mass instead of material type. In other words when using gears, higher mass provides better collision behaviour. I discovered this when building my piston engines, with low piston mass they would often stick through the cylinder wall on the power stroke. This is a major problem for engineering. Part friction is another hurdle, seems to me all parts use the same standard Unity physics material, which is way too high when used in gears. I tried building a dual turboshaft helicopter like the Mil-Mi 24 last year but all power got lost due to teeth biting each other and entangling colliders.

22 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Someone made one in 0.90, can be found somewhere in the early pages of this topic.

To give you and others an insight: there are two major flaws in KSP/Unity at this time: joint flexibility and collider stiffness based on part mass instead of material type. In other words when using gears, higher mass provides better collision behaviour. I discovered this when building my piston engines, with low piston mass they would often stick through the cylinder wall on the power stroke. This is a major problem for engineering. Part friction is another hurdle, seems to me all parts use the same standard Unity physics material, which is way too high when used in gears. I tried building a dual turboshaft helicopter like the Mil-Mi 24 last year but all power got lost due to teeth biting each other and entangling colliders.

When making geared vehicles, finding the right mesh is essential. If the teeth are to close to each other they grind and lose power. Wheras if they are to far apart they can skip or shred. Ive got some real gears for yall in a minute....

I PRESENT TO YOU ALL

THE WORLDS FIRST

4 WHEEL DRIVE STOCK TURBOSHAFT CAR