[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

2 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Maybe you're just not good at making wheel-less bearings? I have not put a single wheel in a bearing since the update broke them. Have never been kept from making a functional bearing now with the proper tweaking.

And on point two are you still forgetting people have to mod the game to get rid of the smoke or suffer from devastating FPS? Is there ever a way that you could only use one of two blowers?

What is the part count and fuel efficiency looking like for this one?

I hate when people say the wheels are "broken." They are not broken at all! Look at the stuff we've made with them! Wheel less bearings are far less efficient and under performing than wheeled bearings so i don't know what your talking about. Using 2 blowers is impossible to to lift a aircraft like Azimech's because only two provides no torque. It might work on a MUUUUCH smaller aircraft but not for anything "practical." I put "practical" in quotes because none of the stuff we've made here is practical.

8 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I hate when people say the wheels are "broken." They are not broken at all! Look at the stuff we've made with them! Wheel less bearings are far less efficient and under performing than wheeled bearings so i don't know what your talking about. Using 2 blowers is impossible to to lift a aircraft like Azimech's because only two provides no torque. It might work on a MUUUUCH smaller aircraft but not for anything "practical." I put "practical" in quotes because none of the stuff we've made here is practical.

Well, somehow my helicopters are performing great with their wheeless bearings, which have almost no friction.

And only two blowers for the main rotor.

Just now, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Well, somehow my helicopters are performing great with their wheeless bearings, which have almost no friction.

And only two blowers for the main rotor.

Theyre SAS bearings. not powered by jet engines. We've already went over this, SAS bearings dont fall under category of "turboprops." They are completely different.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Ah yeah like.. um.. I forgot who, but the guy who made the 'unbreakable' rotor from them. I don't want to start that discussion again! :D

I made one a while ago with nose cones.  It's not very high performing but it doesn't break in any situation it can achieve.  Not sure if I was the first to use the nosecone bearing.

15 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.  It's just tha fewer people have been making high performance wheel-less bearings so the technology isn't as refined.

Took my turboprop plane on an endurance run.

http://imgur.com/a/N4XXW

Ran out of fuel 2 degrees longitude short of halfway around Kerbin, coasted to a rough mountain landing a bit beyond that.  1908 km traveled!

Edited by sdj64

4 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Cough.. Cough..

oh no

i've gone full retard

never go full retard

forgive me

3 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I made one a while ago with nose cones.  It's not very high performing but it doesn't break in any situation it can achieve.  Not sure if I was the first to use the nosecone bearing.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  It's just that nobody except me has been making high performance wheel-less bearings so the technology isn't as refined.

Ran out of fuel 2 degrees longitude short of halfway around Kerbin, coasted to a rough mountain landing a bit beyond that.  1908 km traveled!

Very impressive! thats new internal tank record! I've hardly managed 700 kilometers!

What was your average speed during the run? I noticed 180 m/s which is...like... amazing for a endurance run! I was flying at 150 m/s during mine!

Edited by Gman_builder

3 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

oh dam.

i have forsaken logic

forgive me

Very impressive! thats new internal tank record! I've hardly managed 700 kilometers!

What was your average speed during the run? I noticed 180 m/s which is...like... amazing for a endurance run! I was flying at 150 m/s during mine!

I used Pilot Assistant to keep my speed at 180 during the run.  I'm not exactly sure what the most efficient speed is for this plane.  It has an absolute top speed of 225 m/s (shown a few weeks ago) but that was with under 100 fuel left, at sea level, with the cockpit removed.

It might be possible to travel around Kerbin with this engine, with a different plane that emphasizes lift and minimum weight, and drop tanks.

5 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.  It's just tha fewer people have been making high performance wheel-less bearings so the technology isn't as refined.

Unless the provided info is wrong ... you're halfway when having traveled 1884 km.

Hmmm ... I thought 1303 km would last for a long time.

I've got a new challenge!

Just now, sdj64 said:

I used Pilot Assistant to keep my speed at 180 during the run.  I'm not exactly sure what the most efficient speed is for this plane.  It has an absolute top speed of 225 m/s (shown a few weeks ago) but that was with under 100 fuel left, at sea level, with the cockpit removed.

It might be possible to travel around Kerbin with this engine, with a different plane that emphasizes lift and minimum weight, and drop tanks.

A while back i made a plane that had a small fuselage, small engines, and MASSIVE wings. That plane flew around Kerbin 7 times. I think i will try to scale up and replicate that design for use on a turboprop to see if it can fly further.

Just now, Azimech said:

Unless the provided info is wrong ... you're halfway when having traveled 1884 km.

When you do the math, the circumference of Kerbin should be around 3,000 kilometers. But when actually doing a cirucmnavigation the ground distance reads closer to 6000 km. Weird.

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

1908 at landing.  1855 when it ran out of fuel.  Sorry for the confusion.

2 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

When you do the math, the circumference of Kerbin should be around 3,000 kilometers. But when actually doing a cirucmnavigation the ground distance reads closer to 6000 km. Weird.

Kerbin's circumference is 2* Pi * 600 = 3768km.  Ground distance measurement is very unreliable.

1 minute ago, Majorjim! said:

Can we all make a deal to not argue about what is better elec or jet props? And just help each other make better craft?

Oh we do! I had a Deborah moment when I posted my electrified Chakora in that other topic. And as far as I can remember, we've never had an out of tune violin in this topic, just some healthy play & competition.

Pardon this. But aren't we playing in the science fiction (friction) world of KSP? So isn't it best that we build our designs accordingly? What works IRL works horribly in-game. Anyways you have seen my helicopter with wheel-less bearings and it is probably the best performing helicopter made to date. I'm sure if you actually spent the time and effort to make your own wheel-less bearings and not giving up before having a finished product might actually have something to show. Sure the wheel bearings work but they are the size of small buildings. You talk so much about realism but always seem to forget how unrealistically proportioned your craft and mechanisms are?

Edited by Jon144

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.