[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

Azimech why not put stock rockets on a heli? Im 70% sure a supersonic beam with some sepatrons would deal some damage i hope you test it out cause im still waiting for ksp ps4 version in my country and i cant test it  :/     oh you can make ground to air rockets too :wink:  

1 minute ago, Brownie352 said:

Azimech why not put stock rockets on a heli? Im 70% sure a supersonic beam with some sepatrons would deal some damage i hope you test it out cause im still waiting for ksp ps4 version in my country and i cant test it  :/     oh you can make ground to air rockets too :wink:  

Sure a superonic beam would do probably break a heli if it hit it in the right spot. Problem is that it's really hard to hit another flying object with an unguided missile in ksp, unless you're like maybe 10 meters away and it's staying still and not trying to avoid you.

37 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Sure a superonic beam would do probably break a heli if it hit it in the right spot. Problem is that it's really hard to hit another flying object with an unguided missile in ksp, unless you're like maybe 10 meters away and it's staying still and not trying to avoid you.

True ... and because of how the engines operate, the whole helicopter is vibrating and even shaking which makes aiming even harder.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, The Optimist said:

I will now perform rocket surgery on a few of Azimech's turboshaft helicopters in order to steal gather information about them.

It's either download and reverse engineer, or reinvent the wheel.  So so many times I've seen designs I never could have come up with myself.  Don't feel bad about borrowing some parts, just give credit to the originator if you feel that it needs it.

4 minutes ago, klond said:

It's either download and reverse engineer, or reinvent the wheel.  So so many times I've seen designs I never could have come up with myself.  Don't feel bad about borrowing some parts, just give credit to the originator if you feel that it needs it.

And I support it, except when doing a challenge ;-)
But the idea is that we as a community of turboheads and tinkerers inspire as much people as possible ... at least, that's my motivation.

19 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

Unfortunately, the wheelless bearings on some of Azimech's craft have a tendency to collide with the shaft itself, making for low rotation speed and forcing the helicopter to be relatively light.

That's exactly the reasons I stick with wheels for the turboprops. Yes, the heli's have low performance ... the bearings are near indestructible though.

We'll see what 1.2 will bring us. I made the suggestion to Squad a few times to have adjustable crash tolerance & wheel stress at the expence of extra mass.

My job has been slow this week so I've had time to catch up and read all the posts and download some planes/choppers.

I've been working on piston stuff and I wanted to drop my hottest new tech.  It's on kerbalx, but if you don't look often stuff gets buried pretty fast.  It's kind of off-topic for this forum, but I wanted to release it here because you dudes make amazing sh*t and though you all would appreciate it the most.

Yo dog, (insert meme) I put valves on your crank so your pistons can push your crank while your crank pushes your valves so your pistons can push. 

:)Here

Edited by klond

Hey, thought I might post again. I've been doing a little bit of work and have made a semi-successful turbine using two wheeled bearings. A problem I do run into is how to stop the rotating part from sliding forward. The obvious answer is to have wheels pointing "forward" and running round a circular plate, however they always seem to get the "wheel blocked" message if I try to clip them into their parent part (usually a structural beam or something). I'll keep trying.

How are your projects/fascinations going? :P

43 minutes ago, life_on_venus said:

Hey, thought I might post again. I've been doing a little bit of work and have made a semi-successful turbine using two wheeled bearings. A problem I do run into is how to stop the rotating part from sliding forward. The obvious answer is to have wheels pointing "forward" and running round a circular plate, however they always seem to get the "wheel blocked" message if I try to clip them into their parent part (usually a structural beam or something). I'll keep trying.

How are your projects/fascinations going? :P

The best way to stop your shaft from falling out would be to use a thrust bearing made of I-beams. Always keep your wheels straight and parallel to your driveshaft or you will get problems. I used a double thrust bearing for incredible reliability and power on this plane :D 

Guys, they used my Azi13 in a Squadcast!

On 16-8-2016 at 5:13 PM, The Optimist said:

Huh, sometimes when I toggle pitch on my propeller, the deploy angle starts snapping back between the 2 states until the propeller overspeeds and falls off.

I've seen that before ... not sure what's causing it ... maybe excessive wobble on the blade or shaft, confusing the logic driving the control surfaces.

18 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

The best way to stop your shaft from falling out would be to use a thrust bearing made of I-beams. Always keep your wheels straight and parallel to your driveshaft or you will get problems. I used a double thrust bearing for incredible reliability and power on this plane :D 

Downloaded and checked out. That makes sense. I assume that if the wheels are attached to the shaft on my engine then the I beams should be attached to the (stationary) housing of the bearing?

I have begun my attempt to navigate Kerbin's analogue to the Atlantic Ocean with one of my trusty electric aircraft, which I mutilated and turned into a horrible approximation of the Spirit of St Louis. Slow and lacking in any positive aerodynamic traits, it does feature an internal engine separated from the cockpit, which is something I guess.

The engine does spin at 45 rad/s, and has done so for about half an hour already. I guess I'll go do something productive for a while...

14 hours ago, The Optimist said:

I have begun my attempt to navigate Kerbin's analogue to the Atlantic Ocean with one of my trusty electric aircraft, which I mutilated and turned into a horrible approximation of the Spirit of St Louis. Slow and lacking in any positive aerodynamic traits, it does feature an internal engine separated from the cockpit, which is something I guess.

The engine does spin at 45 rad/s, and has done so for about half an hour already. I guess I'll go do something productive for a while...

And I'm done! 2 hour flight at an average of 49.7 m/s

rBkuWEB.png

On 8/19/2016 at 9:43 AM, life_on_venus said:

I assume that if the wheels are attached to the shaft on my engine then the I beams should be attached to the (stationary) housing of the bearing?

Wait are you making your engine inverted? With the wheels attached to the driveshaft?

On 20/08/2016 at 7:13 PM, Gman_builder said:

Wait are you making your engine inverted? With the wheels attached to the driveshaft?

Yep, I think Azimech said a while back he got more stability that way? And Azimech congrats on the squadcast. Klond's piston engine was cool to see as well.

I'm actually in Spain at the moment so haven't had much time to test my engine :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.