What do you use to build your station?

RainDreamer

All of the methods have worked for me in the past. Nowadays I build a central unmanned frame or a core without a probe and then attach my various components to it.

My construction drones use nothing but RCS and are equipped with multiple sizes of docking ports. Most larger modules have dedicated tug/kicker stages.

Here's a prime example of the techniques:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by StormKat

I use what I guess would amount to a tug stuck on the outer docking port of a piece; a probe core and just enough RCS to get the piece attached ( I tend to put RCS on all pieces anyway, saves hassle if I want to reconfigure it ). To actually get everything up there in the first place I usually just throw it out of a plane, so no real orbital maneuvering to do. If I care enough I'll put the "tug" back in the plane & take it down again, or eat it with an EPL scrapping ship but it's only a core and a tiny tank anyway.

Early on I used modular stations, typically with each module delivered by a non-reusable dedicated delivery stage which was jettisoned after docking.

Now I use the VAB to build my stations, and enormous rockets to orbit them.

All of my stations are lifted as one giant piece; no assembly required. For example, here's one of my older 900-ton designs, on top its SSTO booster:

p7yMa2m.png

My current station design is a bit larger than that, but since I restarted career mode I haven't launched one yet. (Hard mode makes accumulating that much money a bit tough.)

It's not just about difficulties of docking huge constructs; I can handle that part just fine. That sort of docking is just time-consuming, but not really that difficult if you design things correctly. The more important part is that doing it this way allows me to keep the part count a bit lower, since you're not wasting part numbers on connecting docking ports, probe cores, solar panels, etc. on each component piece, and the fact that you can set up struts to keep it stable helps as well. Maximizing payload tonnage while minimizing part count is critical when you're right at the margins of playability; too many parts and the game just lags out into an unplayable mess.

I brought up a couple of RCS drones the first few launches, now that they are on-station, the new launches are just dumb modules with a couple RCS ports if they're possible to place. You can see a picture of the Mk 1 drone a couple of shots down in this album. It's a port, couple of 200 batts, a probe core, 250 monoprop tank, advanced in-line stabilizer, RCS, solar panels, and a Remote Tech 2 antenna. The reaction wheel is off when the drone is detached - the probe core has enough torque to point it. The Mk 2 design has docking ports on front and back, so that a drone could be "sacrificed" if needed to attach an unwieldy module. Because the Mk 1 didn't have a rear docking port, I had to do these shenanigans to get a MKS Orbital Shipyard docked with my station.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I guess I used technique #2 for this one. Each piece of the station was attached to two boosters that, after docking, would then detach and crash back to the ground. I really enjoyed making it, figuring out the precise docking required to keep everything lined up. In then end it took 11 launches.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-02%20at%206.10.43%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-04%20at%2011.12.09%20AM.png

I've never made a big, pretty station but I've used smaller ones for various tasks and contracts. With career mode I'm using them more for logistical needs, mainly to cut down the number of launches I do. For instance a transfer and refueling station over Kerbin and a science station which acts more as a mother ship for landers over the Mun. Usually it will just be a stable core that is capable of going where I need it on it's own, basically just a ship with a lot of docking ports.

After it is orbited, I have a couple of tugs / shuttles that stay permanently in orbit to service the stations and ferry Kerbals back and forth between the stations.

When I want to make an addition or say launch a fresh fuel module to the station, I'll use the cheapest launcher I can devise that will get the part to 80x80 where it will meet a tug for eventual delivery.

Jeb was drinking again and took out 3 solar panels on a missed docking run? I'll build a small part, like a modular girder with a docking port on either end and a couple of replacement solar panels, launch it on the cheap and use a tug to place it. True story BTW, except I was the one drinking and got distracted.

Modules that go up are usually recoverable with chutes and somewhat autonomous. For example, a spent fuel module at the Munar station will be picked up by a tug, likely carrying a Kerbal with science as well just to minimize trips. Release the module on a suborbital trajectory to Kerbin, the tug then corrects, aerobrakes to lower the orbit and heads to rendezvous with the Kerbin station. The module has a probe core and chutes so I can get some of the hardware cost back at least.

The transfer station over Kerbin has what I call a pine cone attached to it, a group of single Kerbal pods with just the bare necessities to safely de-orbit a Kerbal carrying recoverable science or bring one down for a promotion. I figure the station and tugs system has saved me a ton in expensive, heavy launches.

It is a lot of docking, but docking gets easier with practice.

Started a test build of a stagingpost at 120km Kerbin orbit, happiest using my usual method I think.

16424927750_232ff6e6b9_c.jpg

Monolithic core packed in the lifting spaceplane - could easily fly itself to Duna also.

16585976336_5b9ed42c2b_c.jpg

Used the Kerbinside desert runway, although that's a fairly light load so it didn't actually need it all.

16424747908_f557b3f603_c.jpg

16424746378_f16a02c078_c.jpg

Out we go, and a bit of power. The containers stuck on the side hold inflatable emergency pods and some KAS struts.

16587744476_cb16a099e2_c.jpg

Er... it was a nice gentle landing! someone put mines down again...

Now the lifesupport/habitat section.

16428767278_c34a0fab06_c.jpg

Slightly more complicated packing, habitat modules which will end up radially docked are stacked on the end currently. Liberal use of RCS ports which can be pulled off later.

16408671597_beab2d185c_c.jpg

The core ran out of power, so after a little gnashing of teeth I remembered you can move solar panels with KAS, so sent someone out with ducktape.

16409449297_788da002a6_c.jpg

16616732585_958e201c40_c.jpg

Needs a docking truss and more fuel storage, so that will be a couple more launches along the same lines, but that's how it usually goes for my stations even if I use rockets. Would probably have done the second section in two launches then though.

I mostly use the "each module is independently mobile" approach. Starbase Alpha here was a total of four launches:

Launch 1: core (with eight spokes) and detachable lab/crew quarters

Launch 2: twin fuel bananas (to be repeated whenever more fuel is needed)

Launch 3: very stylish six-seater transport skiff, currently attached to one of the unused spokes

Launch 4: monoprop transport pod (under core; can be used to send monoprop to nearby vessels that foolishly run out) and KAS utility pod with crates and winches (between lab and core)

screenshot287.png

Here's another view showing the skiff in action. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out; it's quite useful for moving crew from vessel to vessel near Kerbin and it can be launched from surface to low orbit using only a couple of jet engines and a couple of the smallest solid booster rockets. If I added wings I could probably make it an SSTO but boosters are cheap and I don't really need more than one at this time.

screenshot299.png

Edited by AbacusWizard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.