[1.11.x] AmpYear Main & Reserve Power Manager (v1.5.9.0) 22nd Feb 2021

JPLRepo

Hi JPLRepo - Thanks for your work on AMPYear and DeepFreeze - they are excellent and work great. 

I've been testing out my replica of @Kuzzter Intrepid starship to Jool and while trying to work out the life-support aspect of it, I found something that I can offer as a suggestion for AMPYear support of the mods for USI-LS / USI-Core.

I'm using a 1.25m Nuclear Reactor that comes with the @RoverDude - USI Core (also bundled into USI-ART and MKS mods) and found that AMPYear currently only shows the parts max generatable Electrical charge  eg: AMPYear only shows a static 230 EC for a 1.25m reactor.

However, @RoverDude reactors work like the Harvester Drill so it has an ideal operating temp (1000K) and if it's above or below that, the reactors Thermal Efficiency rate degrades the amount of EC the reactor produces. eg 230EC at 10% effeciency = 23EC

I tested this using AMPYear 1.3.4.0 and with 2x1.25m USI-Core reactors (460EC/s) and a healthy 115EC/s load on them. I also had the HotSpot mod installed to see the change in temp of the parts.

With the radiators enabled and the Reactors close to their ideal 1000K temp, I'm getting about a positive 333EC/s adding to my batteries.
When I shutdown the radiator panels and wait for the reactors to cool (takes a Minmus day or so), the Thermal Efficiency of both reactors drop below 10% (dropping from 460EC to somewhere <46EC) and I end up with a net loss of 62EC/s which matches up with expectations. 

As far as I can tell, the reactors Thermal Efficiency is visible. However, I've no idea if that's a values you are able to READ from within the AMPYear mod. If you are able to see the TE values, can I offer the suggestion to have these reactors change their EC production from a static number to a floating calculated rate dictated by the Thermal Efficiency? (Also logged as a GitHUB issue for you)

Edited by wile1411

On 14 July 2016 at 7:36 PM, wile1411 said:

Hi JPLRepo - Thanks for your work on AMPYear and DeepFreeze - they are excellent and work great. 

I've been testing out my replica of @Kuzzter Intrepid starship to Jool and while trying to work out the life-support aspect of it, I found something that I can offer as a suggestion for AMPYear support of the mods for USI-LS / USI-Core.

I'm using a 1.25m Nuclear Reactor that comes with the @RoverDude - USI Core (also bundled into USI-ART and MKS mods) and found that AMPYear currently only shows the parts max generatable Electrical charge  eg: AMPYear only shows a static 230 EC for a 1.25m reactor.

However, @RoverDude reactors work like the Harvester Drill so it has an ideal operating temp (1000K) and if it's above or below that, the reactors Thermal Efficiency rate degrades the amount of EC the reactor produces. eg 230EC at 10% effeciency = 23EC

I tested this using AMPYear 1.3.4.0 and with 2x1.25m USI-Core reactors (460EC/s) and a healthy 115EC/s load on them. I also had the HotSpot mod installed to see the change in temp of the parts.

With the radiators enabled and the Reactors close to their ideal 1000K temp, I'm getting about a positive 333EC/s adding to my batteries.
When I shutdown the radiator panels and wait for the reactors to cool (takes a Minmus day or so), the Thermal Efficiency of both reactors drop below 10% (dropping from 460EC to somewhere <46EC) and I end up with a net loss of 62EC/s which matches up with expectations. 

As far as I can tell, the reactors Thermal Efficiency is visible. However, I've no idea if that's a values you are able to READ from within the AMPYear mod. If you are able to see the TE values, can I offer the suggestion to have these reactors change their EC production from a static number to a floating calculated rate dictated by the Thermal Efficiency? (Also logged as a GitHUB issue for you)

I'll look into it thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Two quick questions- 

1) Is the Dawn ION Engine fix coming in soon? - it doesn't read as taking charge in VAB.

2) Is there a way to calculate surface darkness time? even something as simple as rotational period / 2 would help so we wouldn't need to check the tracking station for every planet we want to go to.

Answer-

1) No - What is the Dawn ION Engine? and what fix? There is no Bug report on Github. I don't even know what part you are talking about. what mod is it from?

2) What is your request? You want the surface darkness time displayed in the Dark-Side window?

HI JPLRepo

The Dawn ION Engine is the stock ION engine supplied with KSP - elogateumsato might be referring to my post a few posts back. 

Sorry I haven't logged an issue yet - I didn't want to bother you with an issue unless someone else can confirm it is a problem for someone other than myself. Being a stock part I figured was probably supported and I was just seeing a problem on my side. 

• For those following along at home:
    • Can someone/anyone confirm that the STOCK ION engine doesn't register as using EC is an issue for you as well - if so I'll log the issue with pics on GITHUB .

I'm using AmpYear solely for its ability to track EC usage and night time calcs in the VAB (since Fusebox isn't being supported right now). I disabled a lot of its functionality because I will use kOS to manage craft power systems so before I call this an issue I want to make sure this isn't working as intended because I disabled something:

Nxj3E3el.png

AmpYear isn't picking up any EC usage for the Avionics Package

On 03/08/2016 at 1:54 AM, wile1411 said:

HI JPLRepo

The Dawn ION Engine is the stock ION engine supplied with KSP - elogateumsato might be referring to my post a few posts back. 

Sorry I haven't logged an issue yet - I didn't want to bother you with an issue unless someone else can confirm it is a problem for someone other than myself. Being a stock part I figured was probably supported and I was just seeing a problem on my side. 

• For those following along at home:
    • Can someone/anyone confirm that the STOCK ION engine doesn't register as using EC is an issue for you as well - if so I'll log the issue with pics on GITHUB .

Yep It's a bug. Will fix in next release.
https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/37

2 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

I'm using AmpYear solely for its ability to track EC usage and night time calcs in the VAB (since Fusebox isn't being supported right now). I disabled a lot of its functionality because I will use kOS to manage craft power systems so before I call this an issue I want to make sure this isn't working as intended because I disabled something:

Nxj3E3el.png

AmpYear isn't picking up any EC usage for the Avionics Package

There is a bug with ModuleCommand in the current release version, and that part from USI Sounding Rockets is using ModuleCommand.
Will be fixed in next version.
https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/25

V1.3.5 released.
Compatible with Realism Overhaul and a bunch of bug fixes. See the changelog in the OP for details.
EDIT: Forgot to mention in the ChangeLog, the KSPedia pages have been updated for the new SI unit display functionality.

Edited by JPLRepo

On 10/06/2016 at 5:31 PM, Errol said:

I have found an incompatibility for this mod, submitting this as a bug report. There are no crash logs to post.

Tested on a clean install of KSP 1.1.2 x64

(Semi-)Saturatable Reaction Wheels - Download/Source Is the specific mod that is causing a conflict.

Bug: Having both mods installed stops reaction wheel saturation from modifying effective torque. (RW window still show diminished torque available, but you can still freely use all reaction wheels if there is electricity for them)

Each mod functions beautifully on their own.

Repro steps; build a simple probe with electric charge and reaction wheels, use girders as skid pads, and use rotation to start the vessel spinning. If RW saturable is working after a short time your probe should stop spinning due to diminished torque available and the friction of the surface. 

Cross posting to plugin workshop.

Yeah you see, this is what happens when you don't file an issue on GitHub it gets completely missed....

KSP v1.1.3, AmpYear v1.3.5.0 and ScanSat v16.4, Win10

Not sure how significant this is but I'm getting a whole load of AmpYear log entries (dozens per second) in the debug window and output log (obviously) related to ScanSat. And maybe I'm wrong, but as a consequence, AmpYear isn't recognizing the power drain from the Multi-Spectral scanner that I have mounted and running over Kerbin (screenshot).  Also, when I timewarp, scan data isn't returned.  This probably isn't an AmpYear problem.

I believe I have the latest versions of the mods installed and working properly.  What might I be doing wrong?

Edited by Brigadier

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

KSP v1.1.3, AmpYear v1.3.5.0 and ScanSat v16.4, Win10

Not sure how significant this is but I'm getting a whole load of AmpYear log entries (dozens per second) in the debug window and output log (obviously) related to ScanSat. And maybe I'm wrong, but as a consequence, AmpYear isn't recognizing the power drain from the Multi-Spectral scanner that I have mounted and running over Kerbin (screenshot).

I believe I have the latest versions of the mods installed and working properly.  What might I be doing wrong?

Yep it appears new version of ScanSat 16.4 has changed how it works internally.Unfortumately I seem to have a bug which means it keeps repeating that log message over and over which is a shame otherwise it would just issue it once and disable ScanSat integration.
Go back to the previous version of ScanSat and it should be ok until I can release a fix.
https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/40

Edited by JPLRepo

17 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Yep it appears new version of ScanSat 16.4 has changed how it works internally.Unfortumately I seem to have a bug which means it keeps repeating that log message over and over which is a shame otherwise it would just issue it once and disable ScanSat integration.
Go back to the previous version of ScanSat and it should be ok until I can release a fix.

Thanks, will do.

Edit: @DMagichas released v16.5 so I'll give that I try first.

Edited by Brigadier

On 10/08/2016 at 6:11 PM, Brigadier said:

Thanks, will do.

Edit: @DMagichas released v16.5 so I'll give that I try first.

That still won't work. As I said, ScanSat has changed the way it stores and processes EC. Until I update AmpYear it won't work. (But you're in luck - V1.3.6.0 fixes the issue).
@elogateumsato - added your asked for feature.
@Brigadier - try this version.

V1.3.6.0 Released fixes above issue with ScanSat as well as adds DarkSide calcs for Surface of select bodies.

Edited by JPLRepo

25 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

That still won't work. As I said, ScanSat has changed the way it stores and processes EC. Until I update AmpYear it won't work.
@elogateumsato - added your asked for feature.
@Brigadier - try this version.

V1.3.6.0 Released fixes above issue with ScanSat as well as adds DarkSide calcs for Surface of select bodies.

Awesome! thanks a lot!

@Errol & I forget someone else I think asked.
https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/42
Raised with regard to the SemiSaturable Reaction Wheels issue. Will look at this next time as it will take some time I suspect to figure this one out.
Again, for all, if you want a certain mod added or an issue to raise, doing so on GitHub will mean I will get to it sooner rather than later.

Hello @JPLRepo
Thx for your mods. :)

With the ScanSat mod (I think) the (stock) M700 Survey Scanner (0.5EC/s) and the (stock) M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner (0.4EC/s) are getting a "Start Resouce Scan" option.
Could AMPYear maybe detect and implement this?

BR
Rob

Edited by Rob2222

On 11/08/2016 at 9:11 PM, Rob2222 said:

Hello @JPLRepo
Thx for your mods. :)

With the ScanSat mod (I think) the (stock) M700 Survey Scanner (0.5EC/s) and the (stock) M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner (0.4EC/s) are getting a "Start Resouce Scan" option.
Could AMPYear maybe detect and implement this?

BR
Rob

https://github.com/JPLRepo/AmpYear/issues/43

Just wanted to say thank you for this mod. I had several webpages plus another mod for what this one does and I am still checking the math with my calculator. Now I am giving it a try and I think it will make life much easier in KSP :D

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I'm thinking of dropping the Power Turn feature/option from AmpYear.
I just feel it probably doesn't add a lot of value, do many people actually use it?

TBH, what is the Power Turn feature?  And, no, I don't use it but it's because I don't know what it's supposed to do.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

TBH, what is the Power Turn feature?  And, no, I don't use it but it's because I don't know what it's supposed to do.

From the OP:
TurnBooster
Allows you to use electrical power to harness SAS/Reaction Wheel modules for additional turning power. Boosting them by 25%.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.