Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

Sorry, maybe I was a bit behind, I was still thinking of how you said you didn't want to reparent the Sun.

oh yeah, that won't work. I've abandoned the idea :(

the parent will always have less priority than the "child" (? is that even the correct word?)

so basically the only way is to have

galactic core < star < planet < moon

- - - Updated - - -

Why messy though? The center of the whole system is the barycenter, the stars orbit it. It's like placing a copy of Kerbin at the opposite end of the orbit and multiple small moons around both Kerbins. If at all, I see this conflicting more with reality than with KSP's nested SoIs. No criticism of your mod anyhow, it is an excellent and very creative solution especially for planetary binaries.

I was talking about a binary system.

In this case you need to cover at least the barycenter body otherwise you will either:

1- smash into it

2- get your orbit kicked for going too close to it*

If you are talking about the way to simulate the Galaxy, the problem remains the same. but the solutions is much easier:

just put the barycenter so far out that noone will ever go there, and if they do they probably want to have their ships messed up :D

*Even if you avoid 1 and 2 there will always be the possibility to orbit the barycenter in between the two main bodies, and that definitely doesn't seem right

- - - Updated - - -

Edit 2: I just thought of close flybys and gravity assists which could be used to exploit such a barycenter. Bleh, KSP is really quite limited... Still not sure what solution I like better in this case...

hahaha told ya!

How do overlapping SoIs of the same order behave, does one of you know?

overlapping SoIs work by priority

if the two bodies are orbiting the same parent I suspect the priority will be linked to flightGlobalsIndex.

basically the planet that is added last in the code will have higher priority

Edited by Sigma88

I was talking about a binary system.

In this case you need to cover at least the barycenter body otherwise you will either:

1- smash into it

2- get your orbit kicked for going too close to it*

If you are talking about the way to simulate the Galaxy, the problem remains the same. but the solutions is much easier:

just put the barycenter so far out that noone will ever go there, and if they do they probably want to have their ships messed up :D

*Even if you avoid 1 and 2 there will always be the possibility to orbit the barycenter in between the two main bodies, and that definitely doesn't seem right

Well, Barycenters do not have much of a surface area I think so the smashing would take some dedication... But yeah, gravity assists powered by several solar masses are problematic.

Your use of galaxy confuses me and I am going to assume you refer to barycenters of multiple star systems :3 Yeah, placing the stars at a large distance from each other is a must, but we don't seem to get rid of the messy transfers in any case. It seems to be either a) completely ignoring the body whose SOI you are not in, which kind of sucks, or B) Allowing major whackiness by having the mass of the stellar system be a concentrated point even when inside the orbits of both stars, which also kind of sucks. This discussion makes me want to install principia right away... :P

Anyways, it is late here... Good night!

hahaha told ya!

overlapping SoIs work by priority

if the two bodies are orbiting the same parent I suspect the priority will be linked to flightGlobalsIndex.

basically the planet that is added last in the code will have higher priority

True, but distance would mitigate that by making it a huge chore to actually getting close to the barycenter, much like crashing something into the sun isn't all that easy. And thx for the answer regarding SOIs, that might be useful somehow...

Edited by Tellion

If you want testers... i am willing to test for you

Memory should not be a problem for me as i use 64bit ksp (dont tell sarbian)

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm from here :

1 - I don't plan to move the sun:

the new star systems will be far out and orbiting a point called "galactic core" or something like that, which will be in orbit around the sun.

(this way there will be no issues in reparenting the sun, or kerbin)

2 - Launching crafts from other systems (idk if it's possible, something like kerbinside)

3 - choosing if the starting system is the stock one or a different one (should be possible)

4 - mods that resize the stock system probably will be difficult to implement, since they change the parts and may not work well on stock-sized planets pack

1 - seems feasible

2 - dunno... maybe kerbal konstructs which powers kerbinside will help

3 - dont think you can... you need a custom plugin.

4 - ModuleManager with some reworking will do!

Edited by Joshwoo69
Typing skillz yo!

If you want testers... i am willing to test for you

Memory should not be a problem for me as i use 64bit ksp (dont tell sarbian)

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm from here :

1 - seems feasible

2 - dunno... maybe kerbal konstructs which powers kerbinside will help

3 - dont think you can... you need a custom plugin.

4 - ModuleManager with some reworking will do!

I really need to update that first post, the idea has developed since and those points are not up-to date.

1- not possible for SoI mechanics

2- haven't found a mod that will do that yet

3- scrapped for simplicity

4- this stands, having systems with different sizes will require different sized parts, so either you rescale all systems or you use the same parts for all systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Barycenters do not have much of a surface area I think so the smashing would take some dedication... But yeah, gravity assists powered by several solar masses are problematic.

Your use of galaxy confuses me and I am going to assume you refer to barycenters of multiple star systems :3 Yeah, placing the stars at a large distance from each other is a must, but we don't seem to get rid of the messy transfers in any case. It seems to be either a) completely ignoring the body whose SOI you are not in, which kind of sucks, or B) Allowing major whackiness by having the mass of the stellar system be a concentrated point even when inside the orbits of both stars, which also kind of sucks. This discussion makes me want to install principia right away... :P

Anyways, it is late here... Good night!

True, but distance would mitigate that by making it a huge chore to actually getting close to the barycenter, much like crashing something into the sun isn't all that easy. And thx for the answer regarding SOIs, that might be useful somehow...

I think we were talking about two different things :D

if you still want to discuss binary stuff I'd say we bring the discussion over at SigmaBinary were it would be more in topic, and also will help not confusing the two issues.

so we can talk here about the central body of the galaxy, and on SigmaBinary's thread we can talk about barycenters.

hope this will help clear some confusion I have in my mind :D

I really need to update that first post, the idea has developed since and those points are not up-to date.

1- not possible for SoI mechanics

2- haven't found a mod that will do that yet

3- scrapped for simplicity

4- this stands, having systems with different sizes will require different sized parts, so either you rescale all systems or you use the same parts for all systems.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we were talking about two different things :D

if you still want to discuss binary stuff I'd say we bring the discussion over at SigmaBinary were it would be more in topic, and also will help not confusing the two issues.

so we can talk here about the central body of the galaxy, and on SigmaBinary's thread we can talk about barycenters.

hope this will help clear some confusion I have in my mind :D

2/3) For starting systems a solution is to move Kerbin to the desired location via MM and leave a copy in place. You can only launch from Kerbin, but apart from that you can modify it to your heart's content, see RSS. That would be irreversible per save game of course. If you want to chose starting systems ingame, you are out of luck until someone writes a plugin which would be quite hard in this case iirc.

Although: If you are feeling really hacky, you might be able to patch something together with EPL and KerbinSide :D

Well, a galaxy is more like this thing and less a measly black hole/O Type Star orbited by a bunch of other stuff.

Edited by Tellion

2/3) For starting systems a solution is to move Kerbin to the desired location via MM and leave a copy in place. You can only launch from Kerbin, but apart from that you can modify it to your heart's content, see RSS. That would be irreversible per save game of course. If you want to chose starting systems ingame, you are out of luck until someone writes a plugin which would be quite hard in this case iirc.

exactly, I'll leave that to the user :)

Well, a galaxy is more like this thing and less a measly black hole/O Type Star orbited by a bunch of other stuff.

yes, by Galaxy I meant the structure which will be provided by this mod:

a central body around which some star systems "orbit" (orbital period will be too high to notice it anyway, much like our neighborhood in the milky way)

I don't play to make the whole galaxy, just a relatively small number of stars (5-6 will be there as a default, plus one additional star for each planets pack installed)

@sigma88

i googled and found a site that made acronyms...

The results are amusing..

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Another thing to note : No official support of launchsites off of Kerbin. You can make them but be prepared for issues due to limitations in KSP that we've not figured out how to work-around.

Edited by Joshwoo69
Gave imgur a swift kick to reload it.

@sigma88

i googled and found a site that made acronyms...

The results are amusing..

http://imgur.com/a/e2oZr

Another thing to note : No official support of launchsites off of Kerbin. You can make them but be prepared for issues due to limitations in KSP that we've not figured out how to work-around.

yeah, when I started this thread I wasn't sure yet. Now I have updated the first post. (and removed that part :) )

The player will still be able to move kerbin into the system he/she desires tho. (they'll have to write a cfg)

Guys, we could turn this into the biggest thing ever.

I had an idea: Star Clusters!

You could just put a black hole down, put a bunch of stars in random orbit, and there you go :D

Also the Galactic Core's description is an odvious refrence to Spore. Which I play!

Edit: M-KEL A is purple. This itches me for some reason.

Edited by ibuckshot5

Guys, we could turn this into the biggest thing ever.

I had an idea: Star Clusters!

You could just put a black hole down, put a bunch of stars in random orbit, and there you go :D

Also the Galactic Core's description is an odvious refrence to Spore. Which I play!

Edit: M-KEL A is purple. This itches me for some reason.

sure, a green gas giant as tiny as earth is fine, but a make a purple star and everybody will start complaining :)

jk

As developer of Interstellar, I will be keeping an eye on this Mod as it would finally some true meaning to the word interstellar.

Could you please add some background stars and Milkeyway background towards the center, that would be very cool to help orient yourself in space.

Edited by FreeThinker

As developer of Interstellar, I will be keeping an eye on this Mod as it would finally some true meaning to the word interstellar.

Could you place add some background starr and Milkeyway background towards the center, that would be very cool to help orient yourself in space.

I would need to look up how to do that, maybe changing the skybox with texture replacer?

Oh, and btw I started doing this with Interstellar in mind, so it's nice to see you commenting here :)

Edited by Sigma88

you can test it and report all the bugs you find, that's the thing I need the most.

I don't plan to add planets to this mod and killashley is taking care of the modelling for the stars.

the star systems you can find in the v0.0.1 are all the thing I'm going to add on this mod.

other stars will appear if you install a planet pack which is compatible

(for now there are no planet packs compatible, in the next patch there will be at least OPM)

I don't have much time to actually play the game so having people going around the "galaxy" and finding bugs is the thing that could help me the most.

:)

Sigma this looks pretty awesome :D Will be nice to have a far away destination for my Kerbal Generation Ships to head off too =)

that's one of the reasons I started this so I hope the final result is as good as I picture it in my mind :D

What will you do with planets pact that contain only one planet like Asclepius SSTO playground mod?

My current mindset is to maintain the feel of the mod when I port it over to GalacticNeighborhood.

For example:

OPM will be loaded on a brand new star, called Helios. there will be a copy of each Stock planet (Moho = Helios I, Eve = Helios II, Kerbin = Helios III, etc...)

so when you travel to the OPM System you will find it exactly like it was intended to be.

This will work for OPM, for Asclepius it seems a bit of an overkill to recreate the whole KSP system. Since the aim of the mod is to just add a target in between kerbin and Duna. I will contact MrChumley and I will ask him what he thinks will be the best system for his planet.

I could recreate a system which has just Kerbin, Asclepius and Duna for example. I could even load this system in orbit around a different star.

there are many possibilities.

I'm not really sure yet what to do with planet packs that make small additions to other planet packs. For example my OPM Recolor and OPM Tilt.

I'm not sure yet if I want to load them on a different system or not... I'll have to check if creating more systems increases RAM usage.

What distance will you use between stars, what will be the minimum delta V?

The current alpha download is pretty much the distance I had in mind.

Each star system will have 2e14 meters SoI, and there will not be overlaps, so the minimum distance is 4e14.

ProkKseema is the closest system to the Stock one, and it is ~5e14 meters away iirc.

I've tried going to Algok once and I think I needed something like 15km/s to fly by the system. and probably another 15km/s to be captured.

The problem is that Time in KSP is not infinite, once you go past ~2.5e9 seconds things start to break, you see negative numbers in the time clock of the tracking station and weird stuff like that. And also at maximun warp speed (using better time warp) the ship was barely moving.... so basically some FTL travel will be needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.