Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Man, I'm just happy Porkjet is taking a pass at the Mk.1 fuselage parts. Those tanks are some of the oldest ones in the game, and they're noticeably behind the quality of even the current Mk.1 Jet pod. Improvements! They happen!

CNES, the French space agency [are] looking for a student intern who can model their future concepts into Kerbal Space Program, and make videos for the communications department. ... [T]he Paris based Exploradôme interactive museum will be holding a KSP event tomorrow.

Awesome!

Are we talking another six months before U5/64-bit
No, but we don't have release dates for it.

I understand that as "we sincerely hope that it won't take six months, but I'll be damned if I say anything that could be construed as a promise".

Good choice to split the update guys.

Looking very much forward to new parts and bugfixes. :)

Regarding felipes work:

Wouldn´t it be nicer to have different symbols for pilots, scientists and engineers on their suits, so you could recognize roles without hovering over their faces? Like a little patch on the sleeve. Joystick for pilots, spanner for engineers, erlenmeyer flask for scientists maybe? Or a colour code?

Just an idea.

Keep up the good work and cheers :)

Edited by KerrMü

Also, same as Brucey ↑ What were they thinking with no 64 bit in full release? SMH.

Simple: Unity 4 64-bit wasn't stable enough (the community hack works for many people, but not everyone), and Unity 5 wasn't released until 1.0 was half way through it's dev cycle. Even if they had decided to switch over to the beta version of Unity 5, it wouldn't have reduced the amount of work needed, which means that we'd still be waiting for 1.0. While that may be fine for some people, I suspect that the contracts for working on porting KSP to the various consoles probably had something to do with them needing to have something to call 1.0 sooner than some unknown time in the future.

Regarding felipes work:

Wouldn´t it be nicer to have different symbols for pilots, scientists and engineers on their suits, so you could recognize roles without hovering over their faces? Like a little patch on the sleeve. Joystick for pilots, spanner for engineers, erlenmeyer flask for scientists maybe? Or a colour code?

Just an idea.

I'm imagining yellow for pilots, red for engineers, and blue for scientists.

Makes sense to move the other stuff forward if the Unity upgrade is taking longer than you guys thought. Also gives bugs in the other stuff more time to be discovered and ironed out.

Also, what's a tweening controller?

Edited by smjjames

Regarding felipes work:

Just an idea.

There is a mod that puts stars and symbols on the portraits now:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-x-DMagic-s-Modlets-Latest-Update-Portrait-Stats-v6-0-8-26-2015

Been using it for a while and love it.

~M~

Makes sense to move the other stuff forward if the Unity upgrade is taking longer than you guys thought. Also gives bugs in the other stuff more time to be discovered and ironed out.

Also, what's a tweening tool?

It's an animation thing. Rather than animating each frame by hand, you use a tween to simply move an object from one point to another. Not sure how it applies here, though.

“Now, as is fairly well-known (and was mentioned in the question I want to respond to), that system trawls the entire vessel (if ALL_VESSEL or STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW) or crossfeed-connected parts (if STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH) each time a request is made of a part. Now obviously that’s less than optimal. However, it’s done for a reason: we can’t just naively cache all available resources, because at any moment you might decouple, or dock (or go KABOOM) or even you might just toggle the flow state on a resource tank. That could add a resource to the list of resources available, or it could remove it. Further, there can’t just be one cache in the case of STACK because that is request-location-dependent. There are ways to do this based on listening for events, and multiple caches–and the new VesselModule system introduced in 1.0 will help immeasurably–but it’s not an easy thing we can just slap in. We’ll keep looking into it, however.â€Â
No one said or suggested it would be easy and, yes, please continue looking into this. Thanks.

For instance, since the addition crew roles and levels, we’ve wanted to add a way to display the role and experience level of a crewmember on the main interface. The role and level of crewmembers is now displayed when hovering over their faces, provided it’s a career game (where roles are relevant).

I suppose I should reserve judgement until I see what it looks like... :blush:

Regarding felipes work:

Just an idea.

Joystick, why didn't I think of that. I guess it might be hard to get a recognizable joystick icon down to 24 or so pixels; I haven't seen any among the common open icon sets.

There is a mod that puts stars and symbols on the portraits now:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/120731-1-0-x-DMagic-s-Modlets-Latest-Update-Portrait-Stats-v6-0-8-26-2015

Been using it for a while and love it.

~M~

Recently added this to my "must have" mods list.

:kiss:

I'm imagining yellow for pilots, red for engineers, and blue for scientists.

I would have imagined red for pilots, yellow for engineers, and blue for scientists, but I guess we're thinking different Star Trek shows.

Why is the specialization thing only available in career mode? Is that changeable? (KIS uses specializations in sandbox, even if stock doesn't)

One last thing- About 1.0.5:

gimmegimmegimmegimmegimme.

Very interesting. I hope you guys aren't pushing yourself too hard on all of this. The last few dev notes have sounded an endless trek through mountains of annoying technical work. Hope you take some time to relax a bit as well!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.