Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

I do hope you kept Sepatrons in mind while making that exhaust more deadly. It's hard enough to place them correctly as it is given we have a grand total of 1 option for them.

Completely agree. I mean, at the moment, I just point them at the core and say 'well, if I had the option to put on on each side pointing so they wouldn't hit the core, I would and seeing as I can't and this has no ill effect, I'm calling it an abstraction and rolling with it'.

I could put two but part count, yo (the Space Shuttle had 16 booster separation motors in total!).

Completely agree. I mean, at the moment, I just point them at the core and say 'well, if I had the option to put on on each side pointing so they wouldn't hit the core, I would and seeing as I can't and this has no ill effect, I'm calling it an abstraction and rolling with it'.

Wait, abstraction? There was a period where doing this didn't annihilate the core? I blew up so very many rocket parts with misaligned separatrons before I figured out how to aim them. When did they stop blowing things up?

The internet failure definitely made me very late to some very important news.

Does 1.0.5 deserve its own HypeTrain? 0.23.5 did, but I'm not sure if 1.0.5 really counts as a full update or not.

I think so, it has lots of new parts, many bugfixes, and presumably other stuff.

Hype threads are not DESERVED so much as REQUIRED. There will be terrible spam posts no matter what. Putting them in their own thread is prudent and clears up the rest of the forum for more enlightened discussion.

Plus, they're fun.

I don't think 1.0.5 needs such a thread. I'm not seeing many "OMG I'M SOOOOOOOOOOO HYYYYYYYYYPED FOR 1.0.5!" type posts.

Here you go: OMG I'M SOOOOOOOOOOO HYYYYYYYYYPED FOR 1.0.5!

Plus, you're right about hype containment. Everyone knows what happens when hype interacts with normal matter.

When did they stop blowing things up?

I think in 1.0.X, when exhaust no longer had heat effect on other parts. There was a post on reddit that showed this, but a quick read of the bug tracker shows no such bugs.. regardless, the core doesn't overheat and explode (F3 flight log still shows 'damage' though), so eh - I carry on and call it an abstraction. And I hope they take this into consideration when they make exhaust hot enough to overheat parts.

I think in 1.0.X, when exhaust no longer had heat effect on other parts. There was a post on reddit that showed this, but a quick read of the bug tracker shows no such bugs.. regardless, the core doesn't overheat and explode (F3 flight log still shows 'damage' though), so eh - I carry on and call it an abstraction. And I hope they take this into consideration when they make exhaust hot enough to overheat parts.

Or just make the decouplers stronger. Whether the separatrons heat the central stage or not, making an asparagus rocket is already a hassle and separatrons only make it worse.

This thread discussed it at length, after 1.0.3. TL;DR: 1.0.3 was working as intended.

In 1.0x land (until the forthcoming 1.0.5), heat from engine exhaust worked (in the technical sense) but was too low. It now works and is not too low.

You will have to be careful, but not annoyingly careful, with sep placement. And explosive decoupling has again become a workable strategy.

Hype happens. We can have it in a single thread, where the people who like hype can enjoy it and those who don't can easily avoid it, or we can just let it land where it falls all over the forum, where it's tough to avoid and those who are hyped don't know where to find like minded people.

Let's get back to discussing the update itself, please.

In 1.0x land (until the forthcoming 1.0.5), heat from engine exhaust worked (in the technical sense) but was too low. It now works and is not too low.

You will have to be careful, but not annoyingly careful, with sep placement. And explosive decoupling has again become a workable strategy.

I was wondering why explosive decoupling no longer worked! I was beginning to think it was intentional.

Would it be possible to get a Spark/Ant/PA7 style analogue (i.e. surface mount blister) of the current Sepratron-I to accompany this change?

A note on the overhaul for thermo (which was discussed in an early dev note, and is mentioned as part of 1.0.5 here). It is a backend overhaul, which means that it should not feel differently to the player except to the extent that bugs are fixed and corner cases better handled. For example, bugs with small parts, parts with weird differences in area and mass, Joolian aerobrake issues, etc--all have been fixed. Further, it is now rather more tunable than before (both in terms of settings and in terms of exposed interfaces for analytic), although with the default settings it should play like a better-tuned, fixed version of 1.0.4 rather than anything that would require rebuilds.

The only thing that might require some rebuilding is that engine exhaust is now pretty deadly, so...be careful where you point things. ;)

This sounds great and covers a lot of recent issues I`ve had with some craft.

I do hope though that with the boost to engine exhaust, seperatrons have not turned back into arc cutters that slice through fuel tanks when they activate.

more tunable sounds good...

EDIT : I see the seperatron issue has been raised and answered.

Well, this is ... unexpected.

If the thermal system is sorted out I'll be pleased. If the game performance gets back to 0.90 levels I'll be very pleased and newly confident in Squad. There's nothing else I give a flying fig about really.

This still concerns me. There is not really a way to be 'careful' with sepatrons. Pretty much the only way you can use them on SRB's is to aim them right at the core of the rocket. Any other positions and the booster ends up rolling into your craft. They don't work any other way. It's just that they are so temperamental, that's all.

Edited by Alshain

Absolutely, I'm looking into it now, thanks for the report. I did request some more information in that thread that might assist in tracking it down.

Well, this is ... unexpected.

If the thermal system is sorted out I'll be pleased. If the game performance gets back to 0.90 levels I'll be very pleased and newly confident in Squad. There's nothing else I give a flying fig about really.

Agreed, 100%.

A note on the overhaul for thermo (which was discussed in an early dev note, and is mentioned as part of 1.0.5 here). It is a backend overhaul, which means that it should not feel differently to the player except to the extent that bugs are fixed and corner cases better handled. For example, bugs with small parts, parts with weird differences in area and mass, Joolian aerobrake issues, etc--all have been fixed. Further, it is now rather more tunable than before (both in terms of settings and in terms of exposed interfaces for analytic), although with the default settings it should play like a better-tuned, fixed version of 1.0.4 rather than anything that would require rebuilds.

The only thing that might require some rebuilding is that engine exhaust is now pretty deadly, so...be careful where you point things. ;)

Now those sweet words are the tune that sets off my hype train!

So will it be possible (albeit not easy, I guess) to do aerobraking in Eve or Jool? Perhaps even without a heat shield if done gently enough?

I know using the word "when" is a big No-No in this forum, but seeing as it was already announed and even has a more or less complete changelog, I'm gonna risk it: when is 1.0.5 gonna hit? I keep restarting my steam and hoping to see KSP updating.

Or is it even already out and I am missing something?

I have to say I'm very happy to see so much support from you guys. In the end we do our work because we're as passionate about the game as you are, and the support displayed here is a real morale boost :)

tl;dr you guys and girls rock!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.