Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

yes! I won't have to put lots of struts on the huge wings i make even though i probably don't need wings that big! Yay! I may still need them if they're huge wings but i won't need as many! Yay!

Or you could DL the joint reinforcement mod.

Which is a MUST HAVE MOD!

IMHO the future of wing parts in KSP is procedural ( with liquid fuel possible inside )

Happily the mod for that is pretty light weight and well supported :)

But... I doubt it will ever be stock. Squad hand out specific size lego pieces for a reason; so that beginners have a starting point. If I'd just started KSP and was handed a procedural part, I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it. I guess it could go in as a last-tier item on every tech tree branch though, something you only get after many hours play time.

With 20:20 hindsight I think procedural parts would have been a lot better for KSP. Lower part count means less lag means a better game experience. It may not be too late to change, though it would be a major change to KSP and require adjusting career too.

As for being beginner friendly, well we don't need to be adjusting fractions of a decimal place. Keep it simple with big chunky increments, and adopt a texture that makes it easy to count up those increments.

Hm, the antennas could still be put in as normal antennas/new parts? :)

I could get behind this, this would allow us to put them on craft so when the backend is released, it would not break current flights.

With 20:20 hindsight I think procedural parts would have been a lot better for KSP. Lower part count means less lag means a better game experience. It may not be too late to change, though it would be a major change to KSP and require adjusting career too.

As for being beginner friendly, well we don't need to be adjusting fractions of a decimal place. Keep it simple with big chunky increments, and adopt a texture that makes it easy to count up those increments.

I`ve been an advocate for procedural parts for years now. It just makes so much sense.

Trust me, even with procedural parts the game is not just `put any tank you like on any engine and win` but it is a lot less ugly...

As long as the dry mass is right for the size it should not matter. Physics is the enemy, not the limited range of parts.

Edited by John FX

One problem with switching to procedural parts would be that that would definitely break every existing craft and thus every existing save. Which for me personally is not a problem but for many players would be.

Meh, every change in the game threatens breaking craft, if not actually making them not load, making them possibly unable to re-enter or reach orbit.

And you can add procedural wings without taking the floppy Lego wings out. Just leave the 843 different but nearly indistinguishable wing pieces in the game and add a single procedural wing that can easily replace them all. Then one version later - after everybody has seen the light and switched all their craft over to the better wings - remove the trash and clean up the aerodynamics tab for good.

One problem with switching to procedural parts would be that that would definitely break every existing craft and thus every existing save. Which for me personally is not a problem but for many players would be.
It's already possible to keep legacy parts in the game while hiding them from the tabs in the VAB/SPH, so existing craft and saves can work in a transition period. IIRC Squad did that with some of the plane part changes, and to this day the PotatoRoid is handled like that.

You've got to break an egg to make an omelet, and you have to break several to make a really good omelet.

I could get behind this, this would allow us to put them on craft so when the backend is released, it would not break current flights.

Bear in mind direct comm is still possible, so if anything just make sure you have an appropriately sized antenna on there (hint: Bigger dish = longer range). And even if, worst case, you have a probe out by eeloo with just a whip antenna, there remain provisions for not being 100% sunk.

Happily the mod for that is pretty light weight and well supported :)

But... I doubt it will ever be stock. Squad hand out specific size lego pieces for a reason; so that beginners have a starting point. If I'd just started KSP and was handed a procedural part, I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it. I guess it could go in as a last-tier item on every tech tree branch though, something you only get after many hours play time.

I like the idea of procedural parts being the last tier parts. Kind of like how you don't get the big fuel tanks until late in the tech tree. It would also be cool to get a procedural part that had a maximum size and the top tier has a higher limit.

The only problem I can think of with having only procedural wings, aside from not being that beginner friendly, is that stuff like Macey Dean's ships from his Spiritwolf series would be fudged. They use wings as armor, and having only procedural ones would severely decrease the effectiveness of them, since one good hit could take out all the armor on one side. They could use those metal plates, but those would be even more parts and even more lag. Though the fact that I could build huge planes with good looking wings that don't need tons of struts to stay together would be nice.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

The only problem I can think of with having only procedural wings, aside from not being that beginner friendly, is that stuff like Macey Dean's ships from his Spiritwolf series would be fudged. They use wings as armor, and having only procedural ones would severely decrease the effectiveness of them, since one good hit could take out all the armor on one side. They could use those metal plates, but those would be even more parts and even more lag. Though the fact that I could build huge planes with good looking wings that don't need tons of struts to stay together would be nice.

Could just use the procedural wings to make parts exactly the same size and shape as used in the design, and thus retain the armor capabilities of such while allowing much more flexibility in using them as wings in planes.

I wonder, now that KAC's developer is working for Squad, if they could make a stockified KAC. While it's easy enough to add KAC as a mod, KAC is the sort of thing that I feel it should be included "out of the box" for a space program managing game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.