What is the Earliest massive forum controversy that you remember?

Rath

The oldest I recall lurking around for was the Great DLC Debacle. I don't remember what version KSP was on, but it was around spring 2013.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SQUAD staff mentioned the possibility of adding on to KSP down the road. They also said there were no plans for such content at the time because they were still developing the core. I don't think the post from SQUAD specifically said "DLC," but the wording left room for some forum members to interpret the message as SQUAD was planning to make additional content that would not be free. This interpretation was seen as SQUAD going back on their previous statement that any current version of KSP and any future work done by SQUAD on KSP from the time a user buys the game to the time development stops would be provided as part of the one-time purchase.

I don't remember exactly what the forum felt like since I was just discovering KSP at that time, but it did seem like lots of people weighed in with thoughts and opinions. Some were definitely upset at the possible implications of what SQUAD quickly labled as an off-the-cuff, no-hidden-agenda comment. They clarified the message, and to prove they meant it they announced that anyone who had purchased the game before a cut-off date would receive all software updates and any DLC, paid or otherwise, for free. Any purchases after that date were to be entitled to all software updates for free, but no free DLC. The date was set for several weeks after the announcement to give people the time to see the message and still purchase if they wanted to receive the benefits.

It's funny to look back on it now, 3.5 years later, since as far as I'm aware there has still never been any mention of paid DLC.

4 hours ago, Mako said:

The oldest I recall lurking around for was the Great DLC Debacle. I don't remember what version KSP was on, but it was around spring 2013.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SQUAD staff mentioned the possibility of adding on to KSP down the road. They also said there were no plans for such content at the time because they were still developing the core. I don't think the post from SQUAD specifically said "DLC," but the wording left room for some forum members to interpret the message as SQUAD was planning to make additional content that would not be free.

Yeah, I think it was just HarvesteR on a weekly Squadcast. I don't remember the specific wording, but I'm pretty sure it was with reference to expansion packs. The response to what was probably a thinking out-loud type comment was... not great. Which unfortunately started the First Great Communication Blackout, where we basically didn't hear anything from Squad between updates. Those were dark times :(

8 hours ago, Brownhair2 said:

...the 1.13 Magic Boulder hype...

Since I'm only on version 1.2, can you fill me in on what's going to happen in 11 versions?  Oh, and make sure you use your time travel technology for good, not evil.

40 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Is XYZ cheating.

Indeed.

On 6/19/2016 at 7:54 AM, max_creative said:

Not just Squad.

The Dres war has had big arguments and small ones, but it has been going on for at least two months. At Least. Overall, I completely agree.

Oh, and to the haters here: #TheLieIsALie! Dres is real! It is not a mop! 

DRES IS THE BEST PLANET EVER!!! 

oh yeah, and there was that krakenist thing. I like the kraken now. All hail the mighty lord kraken!

The dres thing is not so much from the devs, so I guess it's diffrent.  It's not a change that's being argued about.

Oh, I just got reminded.  The Barn (Redo textures pls, but good idea) and .90 too soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.