Rock crawler 'rage 2' buggy

Majorjim!

source.gif

Hi all,

After @DrunkenKerbalnaut mentioned me and drew my attention to this Dakar race thread,

Dakar race thread

I was inspired to make a new buggy to compete in that race. I wanted to have something similar in construction to my older RAGE buggy that was made without any building mods I decided to take that antenna frame design to the max with the EER no offset limits building mods.

I started with a basic chassis with an RTG battery motor up front:

QF4debc.png

I then spent a looong time placing antennas in pairs to make a very realistic looking frame construction. I was copying this image here to get a real look to the construction:

2012-07-09-11.23.53.jpg

I was very happy with the shape and feel of the rover but as a pure electric vehicle it was a little prosaic. :)

So I fitted a Juno jet engine, a fuel tank and reaction wheels to keep it stable at high speed and over jumps. I discovered even the three reaction wheels where not enough to keep it stable at high speeds when in the air so I fitted a rear spoiler that does the trick very well and allows for much more control.

I wanted there to be minimal part clipping and aside from the wheels the suspension does not clip with other parts nor does the fuel tank, reaction wheels or other bits adding to the realistic fell of the rover.

There are three different versions, the chassis only, the pure electric version and the spectacularly dangerous (see video) jet version! :D

Three rover versions specs
Chassis only Electric version

Juno jet version

1.403t 2.437t 2.987t
28 parts 235 parts 247 parts
35m/s top speed 33m/s top speed 86m/s top speed
600 elec units 600 elec units 600 elec units
4 RTGs 4 RTGs 2 RTGs

OK, on to some more pics and the video:

Full Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/S1rC8

sSK8pnR.jpg

AAD8MXL.png

And the video!

KerbalX downloads:

Chassis only: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/Rock-crawler-chassis

Electric version: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/Rock-crawler-frame

Juno jet version: https://kerbalx.com/Majorjim/Rock-crawler-frame-jet

Thanks all! Happy rove-ing and Merry Christmas!

Edited by Majorjim!

3 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Top tier write-up. About to watch the vid. The real question is which part is parent to all those antennae, and why? :P  

Cool thanks! The central Ibeam is the parent to all the antenna apart from a few cheeky ones that slipped though the net. And well its not a part that will get destroyed in a crash or removed in making variants to the craft.  :)

Aparently the video is blocked in the US.. I knew I was pushing my luck with the music though.. Will have to re-upload it after Christmas.

Just now, Triop said:

So many buttons... :blush:

I bet clicking them didn't take half as long as it took me to place all those antennas!

I absolutely love the look of it, as it's so unique looking. I like using parts in new ways. Anything but boring. :sticktongue:

54 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

EDIT: ouch...

Yeah blocked in the US. Ho hum, will upload another version after Christmas. No biggie.

5 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I bet clicking them didn't take half as long as it took me to place all those antennas!

I absolutely love the look of it, as it's so unique looking. I like using parts in new ways. Anything but boring. :sticktongue:

I'm still figuring out how you did that. Genius, but hey, you are Doc Brown, you invented the Flux Capasitor. &)

Edited by Triop

Just now, Triop said:

I'm still figuring out how you did that. Genius, but hey, you are Doc Brown, you invented the Flux Capasitor. &)

Well, the shape is possible without no offsets but it would require an ugly internal cubic strut frame. Bleugh. ;.;

It just took patients and perseverance!

Just now, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I'd like to see your take on a bicycle. Or at least a tricycle. Any ideas?

Use small wheels! :D I am off to bed now, up early for my trip to my families place for the mass of Christ. No PC there. So builds on hold for now.

;.;

Cool video, nice music! So I downloaded the jet version and wrote that I would take it for a spin. Modified it a bit and made a video too.

Yes I was overconfident and damaged it but it kept going. And sorry about the lag ... my terrain is cluttered with a gas stations, light poles, car wrecks and the mod that makes trees & rocks solid, probably eats some FPS as well.

Edited by Azimech

3 hours ago, Azimech said:

Cool video, nice music! So I downloaded the jet version and wrote that I would take it for a spin. Modified it a bit and made a video too.

Yes I was overconfident and damaged it but it kept going. And sorry about the lag ... my terrain is cluttered with a gas stations, light poles, car wrecks and the mod that makes trees & rocks solid, probably eats some FPS as well.

Thanks for taking the time to test it mate! I cannot like for another 24 hours but when I can, I shall.

Merry Rovemass one and all!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.