[Title Edit] Stephen King's 2017 Lineup: "The Dark Tower" and "It"

StrandedonEarth

There's been a remake of It, coming out on my birthday (Sept 8). Can't wait. Looks good!

Um, it is a horror movie, so you've been warned. The trailer should be safe enough for the forums. If not, I apologize, and the mods can remove it.

Edit: For info on The Dark Tower, scroll down to the later posts.

Edited by StrandedonEarth
OMG The Dark Tower!

I've never liked this concept, just an excuse for people to say "Oh god you guys I like totally have a special fear of clowns you guys, like more than most people I have like a *special* fear of them." It rubs me the wrong way in the same way as people who say "Oh god you guys, you know I HATE needles!" Nobody likes being stuck with a needle, genius.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Yeah, IT are dangerous guys. Especially that mad sysadmin cosplaying a clown.

Now that I'd watch.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

I've never liked this concept, just an excuse for people to say "Oh god you guys I like totally have a special fear of clowns you guys, like more than most people I have like a *special* fear of them." It rubs me the wrong way in the same way as people who say "Oh god you guys, you know I HATE needles!" Nobody likes being stuck with a needle, genius.

Stephen Kings "It" is propably the biggest modern example of the "evil clown". It didnt copy this concept, it more or less made it as popular as it is today.

While i totaly loved the book i just cant watch horror movies. Its kinda strange, ive read several books of Stephen King, but even non horror movies like "sixt sense" totaly wreck my nerves xD

29 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Stephen Kings "It" is propably the biggest modern example of the "evil clown". It didnt copy this concept, it more or less made it as popular as it is today.

While i totaly loved the book i just cant watch horror movies. Its kinda strange, ive read several books of Stephen King, but even non horror movies like "sixt sense" totaly wreck my nerves xD

Scary movies I can handle, scary games freak me out.

IDK..... I remain skeptically optimistic... The original IT was a really good movie, but it wasn't just Steven Kings writing. The casting for the movie was amazing, and was half the reason it was so successful... in my opinion. Especially with Tim Curry playing Pennywise... I mean, come on.. it's Tim Curry. That is going to be seriously hard to live up to.

However... having said that... there have been a couple outstanding re-makes the last couple years, especially the recent Godzilla, and now Kong... so again, I remain skeptically optimistic..... the trailer looks, and more importantly feels, about right...  Maybe this one will be worth watching.  :0.0:

Tim Curry shall never be dethroned by a CGI-augmented actor. No matter how wonderfully amazing they can make Pennywise look, it just isn't the same.

That said, I saw that trailer yesterday and it was sufficiently creepy to make me jump once. I've just recently started reading the book again, and I thought they did a good job with that Georgie sequence, in the trailer at least.

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

The original IT was a really good movie, [snip] Tim Curry playing Pennywise... I mean, come on.. it's Tim Curry. 

On the first part: really? I find it very narmy. I read the book when I was 15, watched the movie soon after, and was so disappointed. The book seriously chilled me out.

The 2017 trailer, on the other hand, is spot-on for me. Hints of all the bad things that happen in the book and were omitted from the adaptation. Seriously, the part where Henry Bowers puts Ben to the fence above the Barrens? When I was watching Stranger Things I was so sure someone was going to get seriously hurt in the quarry because it was such a clear shout-out to this scene.

On the second part... well, yeah :D Tim Curry manages to save the day. He's an awesome evil clown. I do not know this new actor, tho, so I will not put him down before I watch it (and, oh boy, do I want to). If he pulls a Hayden Christensen, however... :mad: 

I'm very hyped about this movie. Haven't been like this for a while. Alien Covenant, Blade Runner 2? Pfff, please, Scott lost his marbles. Sadly :( 

5 minutes ago, monstah said:

On the first part: really? I find it very narmy

I won't disagree.... but most all horror movies back then were. Maybe I should have said "pretty good for it's time"???.... lol..... :)

Edited by Just Jim

Man, this new trailer. There's the rotting house. There's the Standpipe. There's the friggin' Kitchener Ironworks.

And then, this:

MV5BMTRjYzIwODktMmRjNy00YmFiLWJhZWItODBm

(from IMDB)

My eyes water.

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I won't disagree.... but most all movies back then were. Maybe I should have said "pretty good for it's time"???.... lol..... :)

My cousin gave me the best comment about this new movie: "Let's wait and see Stephen King's opinion on it. If he thinks it's trash, then it's good." :D 

46 minutes ago, monstah said:

"Let's wait and see Stephen King's opinion on it. If he thinks it's trash, then it's good." :D 

Perfect way to summarize.

Kings really marks me as a kid with its Maximum Overdrive.

Cheap prod', Emilio "Cocaine" Estevez and AC/DC soundtrack. Impossible to forget.

MV5BYzI4MzMxYWMtNzcyMS00YjU4LWFlODctMzI0

On 3/30/2017 at 10:52 AM, monstah said:

I find it very narmy

I only saw the original once, when it aired, and then my brother recorded over the tape (grrr). While I only remember bits and pieces, I seem to recall I liked it.

"Narmy"... That word's linked definition puts me in mind of the time I saw Pet Sematary at the theater. I know this doesn't really fit the definition because it wasn't any fault of the moviemaker's, but still.... During a scene which showed the twisted spine of the crippled sister, some clown in the audience wolf-whistled and brought down the house.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

• 1 month later...

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Dark Tower. The cast looks good and it's an adaptation (with King's blessing) rather than trying to recreate the books, which I think is a sensible way to tackle it. However, given that the books start off 'quirky' (but with a great hook at the end of The Gunslinger!) progress quickly to 'compelling but odd' and end up firmly in the realms of 'what the actual flarp', the film is going to need a really really solid script if it's going to work.

As for Eddie and Detta - dunno if they turn up. From the trailers though, Roland is carrying the Horn of Eld, so the books probably aren't a great guide to a film set on another level of the Tower...

On 2017-05-04 at 2:52 AM, KSK said:

the books probably aren't a great guide to a film set on another level of the Tower...

That's a great way to put it. Roland/King definitely took a walk through the Twilight Zone in the final three books, when he had a glimpse of his mortality and decided he better finish it one way or another while he still could. 

Having a look through the cast list I don't see Eddie or Odetta, which is disappointing to me. I do see characters from the later (last? They all blurred together) book, which tells me that it will be a 'one and done'. Which makes sense, because Jake's actor would be grey by the time they filmed 7 movies. Maybe someone will make a more "true to the books" tv series out of it down the road. 

But the trailer looks great. Some slick moves in there, which one expects from the gunslinger. 

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That's a great way to put it. Roland/King definitely took a walk through the Twilight Zone in the final three books, when he had a glimpse of his mortality and decided he better finish it one way or another while he still could. 

Having a look through the cast list I don't see Eddie or Odetta, which is disappointing to me. I do see characters from the later (last? They all blurred together) book, which tells me that it will be a 'one and done'. Which makes sense, because Jake's actor would be grey by the time they filmed 7 movies. Maybe someone will make a more "true to the books" tv series out of it down the road. 

But the trailer looks great. Some slick moves in there, which one expects from the gunslinger. 

Oh goodness yes. That shot where he just drops the bullets in and they flow like water. I have to admit that the trailer did exactly what it was meant to do - got me way more excited about the film!

Having read up on this I gather that the plan is to go all 'cinematic universe' with a couple of films (no doubt more if they really take off) backed up by a TV series or too. Depends how the film pans out of course but you may well get that "true to the books" TV series after all!

There'll be water if God wills it, I guess - and in the end, all things serve the Beam. :)

4 hours ago, KSK said:

Oh goodness yes. That shot where he just drops the bullets in and they flow like water. I have to admit that the trailer did exactly what it was meant to do - got me way more excited about the film!

Having read up on this I gather that the plan is to go all 'cinematic universe' with a couple of films (no doubt more if they really take off) backed up by a TV series or too. Depends how the film pans out of course but you may well get that "true to the books" TV series after all!

There'll be water if God wills it, I guess - and in the end, all things serve the Beam. :)

You seem to be more steeped in the Tower than I am, and that says a lot. I did some more looking into it, and now I see how there is hope for the books yet, as this movie could be considered to happen after the events in the books, so it all makes sense. I'm more hyped for this movie than for SW8: TLJ, and that is the truth!

BTW, there's an It easter egg in the trailer.

An article... https://www.wired.com/2017/05/dark-tower-trailer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.