Forum feature highlight: the reputation system

KasperVld

I think that you have a miscalculation somewhere in the reputation formula. If you think about it, one's reputation should actually be the square of the reputation given (i.e. that you give) plus the days since your registration divided by 100 (not 90 - this is an obvious error) subtracting the natural log of your Reddit karma on the KSP forums. I htink that once you think about it the reasons are pretty obvious.

Should I log this as a bug or just report it to the mods?

It's neither a bug, neither a thing to report to someone apart from here, it's how we decided it to be :)

The reputation given is actually dependant of your reputation, so we can't have someone's rep power as a basis for the person's rep. 90 days is not an error, it has been chosen because it's approximately a quarter of a year. And lastly reddit is totally unrelated from the forums.

Edited by stupid_chris

• 2 weeks later...

overclock.net has a rep system that I think is well executed -- I think for more people to use it you need 2 things: clearer indication of how much rep a user has (I had no idea what that green bar meant until this thread), and a bigger, more obvious +rep button. The reason nobody uses the current system is because nobody sees it.

overclock.net has a rep system that I think is well executed -- I think for more people to use it you need 2 things: clearer indication of how much rep a user has (I had no idea what that green bar meant until this thread), and a bigger, more obvious +rep button. The reason nobody uses the current system is because nobody sees it.

Agreed, I had no idea it was even there

Oh, I have been using it for a while. :)

I don'T think that's a native option of vBulletin. There's most likely a mod out there that does that, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Er, surely just a case of swapping the image for one with the same name?

Yeah. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, the servers the forum runs on aren't accessible by most of the staff that regularly run the forum. That means directly replacing the images is either not possible or is going to take a while. Most forum softwares support uploading an alternate file for use, but apparently VB doesn't allow this... which means that a task that ought to be simple is probably going to end up an awful lot harder than it ought to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, how does the rep power for Mods/Admins work?

And what's the daily (or hourly?) max rep you can give?

And I thought the rep icon was like a mine or something... it should definitely be clearer. And maybe also clarify the "Add to this user's reputation" info box that appears when you hover over it (if you can)?

How exactly are we supposed to give Rep? It is supposed to be very valuable, and only given in rare and extraordinary cases? For example, just now I was +Reping good entries in challenges. Is it intended for that? Or is it more a thing where we +Rep only, say, fantastic crafts or similar?

This can be a fantastic system if used properly though.

EDIT: (If Mods and Admins have more Rep power) How are Mods/Admins supposed to use the Rep system? How should and do they give it out? That will answer most of my questions, and I'll try to adhere to the same principles.

Edited by TheAwer
Added another question.

I give rep for just about anything that seems especially helpful or interesting. That could be answering non-obvious questions, making tutorials, making interesting/original mission logs or crafts, making mods, etc... I also give rep for contributions to my own threads.

I think it's up to everyone to decide how/why they want to give rep. You can max out for a 24 hour period (I'm not sure how much it takes to max out, I think around 10 to 20 times), and you can't repeatedly give rep to the same person.

I guess giving rep for derailing threads or otherwise causing problems isn't a good idea, but otherwise I think it's fine to give rep however you want.

TheAwer, as a moderator, my rep power is determined by the software just like everybody else's. I give it when I feel somebody has done something notable, amusing, and/or helpful to the community. I don't know about admins, but I haven't seem them do anything with reputation one way or the other.

Thanks for the tips and info everyone!

RepPower must be rounded up, because I have a power of 1 (And I'm sure that it's not that much). It looks like the rep give limit is 5 per 24 hours for me now, but it could be dynamic. If you go to Settings, you can see the Rep you've given (and maybe received too, but I don't know about that because I don't have any).

TheAwer

• 6 months later...

This was posted about half a year ago, but can someone please tell me exactly how the green bars work? I've heard that you get more bars for the amount of rep you receive. Is this true and how much reputation for each bar?

Wow the reputation post has been here for a while :P. I also just realized I've actually been around for a bit now :P. The rep system is awesome! - I'd like to see a current mod list too though. Is there already a post of current mods somewhere?