[SPOILER] (possibly) New main menu screen

4nxs

Nope. After this thread appeared, I've gone ahead and put in some more stuff. Either it has not been seen yet (doubtful), or nobody cared to screenshot it.

If it required re-downloading the toolbar, it's possible not many people realized there was an update again so soon.

I haven't seen anyone saying anything yet, so I'll just chime in....

On the "Mun crash landing" menu, I see some spots of light moving about, like there is a floodlight far away pointing at the mun... a conspicuous shadow appears sometimes, like something moving in front of said spotlights...

....and then you get the "three Kerbals orbiting Kerbin" menu, and something seems to move about quickly behind them.... Looks like an active "Illuminator Mk1" (the round spotlight) floating behind them, and you just realize "oh, so THAT'S whats making the light spots on the mun main menu and the conspicuous shadows are the Kerbals!" :D

Very clever! :)

Oh, that didn't last very long, I guess. Some people are just too smart. So let me say:

I made this.

Of course I was just trying to have a little fun (*) - I hope you had some, too.

The whole thing took me quite a while to figure out, what with the spawning of Kerbals and models. I've also tried a few other things, but they wouldn't work for various reasons:

• Remove Kerbin from the sky and put it on the ground. - It just wouldn't move.
  • Add additional light sources to produce multiple shadows. - No more than a single shadow possible.
  • Spawn in mechanics from the VAB. - I couldn't get them to work. I really loved that idea!
  • Put a Kerbal behind the camera to produce a nice big shadow to make the light source look fake. - Shadow didn't look quite right to me.
  • Put a Kerbal behind the hills in the background to make those look like fake billboards. - I couldn't find a good place to put him to really sell that idea.

I may have forgotten some other ideas I've tried.

So yeah, I was just trying to have a little fun. I hope you all enjoyed it, too, and that noone is mad at me or something.

(I have nothing to do with the weird landing gear glitch, though.)

Edit: I have yet to see a screenshot of the new stuff I put in after they first appeared...

(*) No Kerbals were harmed in the process.

Source code: https://github.com/blizzy78/ksp_toolbar/blob/master/Toolbar/Internal/Sh.cs ("sh" is short for "shovel")

Shovel prop: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/23765 - Texture by myself.

This is all your fault the top of our general discussion board keeps getting spammed with 2-3 threads on this a day, sometimes more. excellent troll my good sir.

This is all your fault the top of our general discussion board keeps getting spammed with 2-3 threads on this a day, sometimes more. excellent troll my good sir.

Yes, and i love it and hope blizzy (and / or others) will do more of this in the near future. Good job, blizzy! :)

Agreed. Brilliant use of the power that comes with having your mod in almost every modded KSP install. Kudos, blizzy, I hope you had a good chuckle at this thread and all the others. :D

Good show! I just came on because I saw this for the first time too. That kerbal standing right up against the "camera" as you switch from the main menu to the start game screen is creepy. The light falling from above as you get to the start screen was a nice touch too.

• 2 years later...

In any case... the folks who were asking about this were doing so many years ago, and it's a moot point now.  Locking the thread to prevent further confusion.  If someone has current concerns, feel free to spin up a new thread.  :)