How To Add More Ram (64 Bit)

KSP will automatically use all the ram it wants to, until it hits the end of your RAM supply or the RAM address limit (if you're using 32-bit). You don't have to allocate more RAM to it. Generally, it'll crash if it's trying to grab more RAM than what's available, or the Operating System will start swapping memory to the hard drive (resulting in huge slow down).

My guess is that you're actually suffering laggy play (or low frame rates). That's likely because your computer is overloaded trying to simulate the physics and render those huge space stations you're building.

Really we need a bit more information, like Motokid600 said.

Cheers,

~Claw

64 bit and i got 2 2G sticks o ram motokid :confused:

dewkiller72, stop spamming with new threads about this RAM issue of yours. You already have one, that's enough.

Then, KSP (x64) will use all memory that the OS will allow. RAM is just a part of the memory available to the OS, certainly 4 GB is not a lot but the OS will use disk space (swap file) to make more memory available. Until the max addressable to the OS, that in case of a 64 bit system is beyond 18*10^18 bytes, your swapfile is certainly way smaller than that.

So, hint, to have more memory you can:

1) buy more RAM (best thing, way faster)

2) increase swapfile size (sloow, and when beyond some factor like 1.5 - 2 times the RAM size, it will become far less useful)

Edited by diomedea

dewkiller72, stop spamming with new threads about this RAM issue of yours. You already have one, that's enough.

Then, KSP (x64) will use all memory that the OS will allow. RAM is just a part of the memory available to the OS, certainly 4 GB is not a lot but the OS will use disk space (swap file) to make more memory available. Until the max addressable to the OS, that in case of a 64 bit system is beyond 18*10^18 bytes, your swapfile is certainly way smaller than that.

2) increase swapfile size (sloow, and when beyond some factor like 1.5 - 2 times the RAM size, it will become far less useful)

That's not going to reduce lag regardless unfortunately

I've noticed the big bottleneck on KSP is between the CPU and the RAM. I see no difference in lag between running my CPU at 2.5Ghz and it's peak 3.6Ghz speed.

Unity couldn't optimize data usage if it's life depended on it, and this results in extreme slow down when the CPU is trying to process the data.

Add the lack of threading on to this, and you've got a disaster.

Your best bet if you are getting more RAM is to get faster RAM. Remember, higher Mhz speed does not mean faster RAM, faster timings means faster RAM. Currently the optimal speed for DDR3 memory is between PC1333, and PC1866 configurations, usually getting the best timings around PC1600. You should be able to get high-grade low-latency memory at 10-11ns stock, and down to 8-9ns when overclocked. Make sure to test memory on MemTest86+ when overclocking memory. Just because it boots, doesn't mean it is not getting errors, and bad things happen from RAM errors, such as crashing, or even data corruption.

I've noticed the big bottleneck on KSP is between the CPU and the RAM. I see no difference in lag between running my CPU at 2.5Ghz and it's peak 3.6Ghz speed.

Add the lack of threading on to this, and you've got a disaster.

It's hard to see how, since the fact that the game does essentially all processing on a single thread, as you're clearly aware, means single core speed is of paramount importance. Of course, you need to be CPU bound to notice. If you have a particularly slow graphics card, you might be GPU bound in most situations.

Your best bet if you are getting more RAM is to get faster RAM. Remember, higher Mhz speed does not mean faster RAM, faster timings means faster RAM. Currently the optimal speed for DDR3 memory is between PC1333, and PC1866 configurations, usually getting the best timings around PC1600. You should be able to get high-grade low-latency memory at 10-11ns stock, and down to 8-9ns when overclocked.

Make sure to test memory on MemTest86+ when overclocking memory. Just because it boots, doesn't mean it is not getting errors, and bad things happen from RAM errors, such as crashing, or even data corruption.

There's a lot wrong with this statement. Let's start with the fact that computer memory timings are not measured in nanoseconds. DRAM used to be marketed by access time, measured in nanoseconds, but those days are long past - nearly two decades so. The numbers in a timing string such as 9-9-9-24 are clock cycles. As such, their values in time units depend entirely on the memory clock speed.

For example, DDR3-1333 memory with a 666.667MHz bus clock and 9-9-9-24 timing has latencies of 13.5ns-13.5ns-13.5ns-36ns. DDR3-1866 memory with a 933.33MHz bus clock and 10-11-10-30 timing has latencies of 10.7ns-11.8ns-10.7ns-32.1ns. Despite having higher timing values, it's faster in every respect. In order to compare timings between two different memory speeds, you must scale the timing value by the same factor as the speed, so a 40% faster memory clock means 40% higher timing values to get the same latency.

The goal of faster memory, of course, is higher throughput, and clock speed has a higher effect on that than latency. The "PC" designation on memory indicates maximum data throughput, not clock speed (PC1333 is not a real term). So DDR3-1333 memory can also be called PC3-10666 (or 10600, 10660), and DDR3-1866 can be called PC3-15000 (or 14900), where the number indicates the number of megabytes (10^6 bytes) per second.

Finally, going from really slow memory to really fast memory will net you at best 3% more performance in any game. When the bottleneck is processor speed, as it is in KSP, faster memory is going to do next to nil.

PS - Memtest86[+] must be run for days to reasonably conclude one is free of intermittent memory failures.

• 1 year later...

On ‎31‎.‎8‎.‎2014‎ г. at 4:42 PM, diomedea said:

But I'm (x86) bit. What do I have to do? I have kinda slow KSP? Btw I use windows 8.0.

24 minutes ago, Kerbal Beetle said:

But I'm (x86) bit. What do I have to do? I have kinda slow KSP? Btw I use windows 8.0.

Even if you had a petabyte of RAM it would not speed up your game for two simple reasons.

1. As others have said; physics. If your CPU has trouble keeping up more memory won't help. (And as long as KSP physics is single threaded even a better CPU barely helps.)
  2. Most importantly, on Win and Mac KSP is 32bit. It can NEVER use more than 3.8GB RAM no matter how much you have installed.

All you can do to speed up your game and reduce crashes is lower settings, loose mods and/or wait for KSP 1.1. If SQUAD delivers what was promised KSP 1.1 will be 64bit and physics multi threaded. Everything should improve a great deal but there are no guarantees.

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2014 at 10:05 PM, Motokid600 said:

Going to need a lot more information. Do you have a 64bit or 32bit operating system? And how much memory ( ram ) does your computer have to begin with?

I have the same question :P

I have 64bit and 8GB RAM :o