NASA IXS Class Warpship, and Spacedocks - For KSP-I and Stock KSP

Stevie_D

IXS Class NASA Concept Warpship

Okay, here it is, folks! Go easy on me, remember this is my first mod for a computer game ever!

Introducing the IXS Class Warpship concept from NASA scientist Dr.Harold White. BETA TESTERS - please make sure to dock your current vessels and bring your kerbals home safely before upgrading, this 1.0 -will- break your beta versions, but you'll hopefully feel it is worth it when you see the improvements!

This mod started out as me wanting to make myself a reward for finishing the tech tree of Kerbal Interstellar, and so i set out to make just the command module.... but... well... it kinda snowballed.

warpship-01-140613.jpg

Based on the NASA scientist Harold White's "roadmap towards warp capability" concept, and visually designed by Mark Rademaker, this is a kerbalized stock-alike version that hopefully a good few of you will enjoy.

It's one of the more popular designs for people to try and attempt in KSP; and now, ...they can not only re-create it, but with it's separated parts and modular truss main hull, can create any number of different versions of it to suit your needs!

Stay with me folks now, there's a good few downloads here...

IXS CLASS FOR KSP-INTERSTELLAR LITE MOD - Entire Kit n Kaboodle Version (Apparently also works with old-KSP-I without issue)

IXS CLASS FOR STOCK KSP Entire Kit Kaboodle version for the base game, no mods except the firespitter plugin required (which it comes bundled with)

KERBAL SPACEDOCK - Extraplanetary Launchpads enabled.

IXS COMMAND MODULE - No dependancies other than the firespitter plugin, which it comes bundled with.

IXS CLASS 1.0 FOR KSP-INTERSTELLAR LITE

Download at Curseforge

Download at KerbalStuff

(Download comes bundled with Firespitter Plugin)

IXS_partsimage_JPG_zpsef3f2e8c.jpg

The "Entire Kit n Kaboodle" version comes with everything. The IXS, its modular parts, and all three spacedocks.

UPDATE - It even works with the old version of Interstellar, both hot-fixed and 23.5, so i am reliably informed with no issues at all! Great stuff! :)

INSTALLATION - Make sure to install Karbonite/MKS/OKS first if you are using both that and Interstellar. Interstellar prefers to be installed last of all when adding mods.

"Entire Kit n Kaboodle Version"

The full list of parts are as follows...

- Command Module, seating 4 Kerbals and comes with 8000 electric charge, and cargo bay which you can store probes in with attach nodes.

- Dr.Harold White iteration of the Alcubierre Warp Rings, with built in electrical generators.

- Antimatter Reactor Main Hull with built-in radiators.

- Quantum Vacuum Engine. Heavy on antimatter use on it's own, but when coupled with a power distribution network is a strong tool for exiting warp.

- Crew Module to house 4 crew members, Thunder Aerospace Corporation (TAC) Life support enabled

- Science Module to house 2 crew members. Also TAC enabled for mass balance.

- Science Pods. Gravioli, Thermometer, Materials Bay, Magnetometer, Gamma Ray Spectrometer, Antimatter Collector as well as a Karbonite science sensor.

- IXS Communotron, with slightly upgraded data-transfer systems.

- 2 IXS sized fuel tanks. LFO and Karbonite.

- 3 Spacedocks. Small, Medium and Large for most ships. The Large specifically designed for the IXS itself. All three are Extraplanetary Launchpads enabled.

"Building the IXS and the Cargo bay Capabilities"

~More detailed summary incoming later~

IXS CLASS 1.0 FOR STOCK KSP

Download at Curseforge

Download at Kerbalstuff

(Download comes with Firespitter Plugin)

The Entire Kit n Kaboodle Version - Stock KSP style! Differences are...

Stock KSP IXS Class changes : -

- All parts fit into the stock Research Tree

- The Main Hull changes from an antimatter reactor to a Laser Ignited Fusion Reactor. Creating vast amounts of electricity that is required to power the QV Engine. Not a requirement to use the QV Engine, but makes trips with the QV engine much much easier.

- Antimatter Collector renamed to Xenon Gas Collector, and collects trace amounts of Xenon Gas along it's voyage. Takes an extremely long time to be effective.

- Quantum Vacuum Engine is now a QV/Xenon Gas Hyrbrid, and is designed as an endgame, powerful version of the ion drive. Even so, it runs out of gas on longer trips, BUT can be slowly replenished along the way if using a xenon collector (the rebranded Anti-matter collector). This makes it more like the actual idea of the Quantum Vacuum drive, ie - it becomes more fuel efficient the further you travel, and lives off the universe itself without being overpowered.

- Alcubierre Rings are the most altered. Going from Warp Rings to Xenon Gas Particle Accelerators, pretending that whizzing the xenon particles around a lot before going into the engine would increase their efficiency. The rings hold both electric charge and large quantities of xenon gas.

- Larger amount of basic life support placed in the crew and science modules (since you wont be warping everywhere in a few hours/days)

- Karbonite science scanner remains as it is in IXS Class KSP-I version.

- Magnetometer instrument gives out the same science it does in Interstellar, although by a reduced amount due to the stock game research tree being smaller.

- Gamma Ray Spectrometer now gives out science also, but again, at a reduced rate due to current stock KSP game balance.

- All other science pods, fuel tanks, and peripherals remain the same.

That should be everything! You obviously dont have to follow any set idea of how to use or create this ship, and can use it as you see fit! Enjoy!

KERBAL SPACEDOCK 1.0

Download at Curseforge

Download at KerbalStuff

Spacedock! Just as you remember it in that old TV show or movie or whatever it was you remember as a kid! Originally made to house the IXS Class, i made two smaller versions for 1.25 and 2.5m sized ships. They use a minimum of lights but illuminate whatever enters them, and being only 1 part makes a HUGE difference to reducing graphical lag whilst building the shipyards of your dreams!

spacedock_overviewimage_zpsa0a1dc88.jpg

The movie i made with it was filmed at 1920x1080 with all the bells and whistles turned on using fraps and multiple mods on the go. The framerate hit only ever reached a low of 20fps, and that was with -six- of the suckers plastered together AND 2 ships AND the rest of the station itself. ...And my computer i imagine is a pretty average one. So these things for me have made a huge difference to my framerate at my shipyards! Without fraps it was as smooth as a smooth thing that had just been smoothed.

It's entirely Extraplanetary Launchpads compatible, but isnt a dependency - so those with the mod can make their own shipyards and line up their factory production line!

IXS COMMAND MODULE 1.0

Download at Curseforge

Download at KerbalStuff

(Download comes bundled with Firespitter Plugin)

ixs_commandmodule_overview_zps0f5bc46a.jpg

This is the beauty that started all this madness off. For those that dont want the rest of the ship (being a warp ship) or not liking/wanting KSP-Interstellar, here she is, on her own, ready to lead your ship into the inky darkness with ample room and a sleek look!

Comes bundled with Firespitter as the only dependency.

IXS_parts01_commmod2JPGver_zps3ba415e9.jpg

1.0 didnt manage to make it with regards to illuminated cabin windows, one of the most requested features in the beta. That was down to me folks, for some reason i cant get it to work, but i think its a time thing to get my head around how to have 2 animations, 2 lights sources, and only one of the lights animated. So that will be top priority for 1.1 (which will also be where i plan to introduce the internal cockpit).

IXS_parts01_commmod3_JPGver_zpsc1322260.jpg

Ill give a better description of each mod once ive had a breather. This was a lot to put up all at once! :)

Hope you all enjoy 1.0!

I put my time, heart and soul into it when i do something like this in order to make it the best i can, and be as professional as possible, so if you want to buy me a drink as thanks, or show appreciation for my enthusiasm, then feel free to just click the button!

btn_donate_LG.gif

Edited by Stevie_D

I'm a bit dazzled by the pod - it's truly lovely.

I note the 4 crew (I presume this is limited for future IVA reasons rather than play balance?) and only 50 unit monoprop (we want to slap O-10s on this and do emergency saucer separations!).

I'm considering alternative fuselage options to match it (don't use Interstellar). I suspect this will be stuck on the front of many lovely, large motherships in the near future!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.