Valentina enters the fray!

SkyHook

Any new information on her personality? I'm kind of hoping she has her own instead of just borrowing one from the main trio's personalities. She'd just feel like a Rule 63'ed version of them, and that's bad in my opinion.

If you think it's weird it might be because of the larger gap between her eyes than the males have.

http://i.imgur.com/DAVoe4J.jpg

I may be the only one, but bringing her eyes closer made her look... creepy to me.

I was just thinking about this. I don't think Thomgard would be so great....

Actually, in that light, did they mention whether they're updating the name generator to start making girl names? Presumably they should...

There is sort of a thread about that: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/111069-Kerbal-Gendered-Names

Any new information on her personality?

To be fair, the personalities of Jeb, Bob and Bill have mostly been expanded upon by the fans, all that's really "official" about Jeb is that he's hard to scare.

So I'm sure the community will help define Val's personality too :)

When girl Kerbals get added, I'll send a brand new IPV to get them to Laythe. Then I could have a emergency colony because then they could increase the base population... Don't judge me. I really hope that isn't added though... But I guess it would mean I wouldn't have to send IPVs to Laythe.

Yeah, I think she should be fearless, but calculating. Jeb is more of a "slap more boosters on until it works" type, Valentina should be "if you want me to fly that thing you better make sure it's well built". Ties in nicely to the engineer report/delta-V calculation features that are coming in 1.0.

My Val is going to be a perfect foil for Jebediah. In my game Jeb is just a hardened, highly intelligent, masterfully skilled pilot, with a desire for explosive thrillseeking. Val is going to be a hardened, highly intelligent, masterfully skilled pilot, with a more reserved, less-explosive desire for thrillseeking.

Valentina knows things. She knows how to tie a shoe, for instance, something that has baffled every single Kerbal engineer and scientist that she's met. She knows how to fold that one really really cool paper airplane that flies really far. She knows how to catch and fry a candied cockroach with her bare hands (and a grill). But she doesn't know what F=M/A or E=MC^2 means. She never paid attention. She can fly a rocket into space just as you tell her, fly it back down, and she'll

Profession=Pilot

F=M*A

Sorry I just had to fix that!

I also like the model, 1.0 is looking like one big leap.

Removed by moderation team.

Lordy.

Anyways, I still don't know why we need female Kerbals. As I stated in a different thread, there are already female Kerbals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildred

"Mildred is a female given name in English speaking countries, but can also refer to..."

Here is the save of a Kerbal in my game that appeared alongside Sigvan, Sigson, Ribvan, Neil and Jorzor.

The name is Mildred Kerman.

(You can copy this into the appropriate .txt file for a save if you wish to use him/her)

}

CREW

{

name = Mildred Kerman

brave = 0.4826811

dumb = 0.9000937

badS = True

state = 0

ToD = 190181.217067871

idx = 5

Now, I know Squad isn't from an English speaking country, so Mildred may be a male name there. However given the amount of bilingual/English people on this lovely forum, l'm gonna assume that Mildred is a female Kerbal, who is just as bad-ass as the other Kerbals she/he/it surrounds her/him/itself with.

That entirely ends the debate doesn't it? Why should we add something that will turn a lot of people off due to the recent... controversy surrounding female characters leading many gamers suspicious when one gets added to a game, in exchange for a few young children who probably were in the minority

And I'm not sexist, since I actually lost the original save for Mildred, and went out of my way to create the original team from the old save. I didn't even change Mildred's name into something else even though I was in full knowledge of that he was unofficially female.

If (And that's a big if) I was sexist, I wouldn't permit a female who was notoriously bad-ass in nearly every save she simply TOUCHED (This is not an opinion) to remain in existence would I?

Edited by Master Tao

And I'm just wondering if male and female Kerbals will have the same mass. (you know, for rover balancing and stuff)

I'd guess so, considering:

A: the majority of the mass comes from the spacesuit, probably, the apollo 11 space suit, apparently weighed 200 pounds

B: in any case it's probably too minescule of a difference to matter, considering kerbals are pretty light (I think so, anyways)

C: it'd be added work for the programmers, for minimal gain, besides it'd annoy power-gamers to no end trying to conserve tiny amounts of mass "Well, I only use female kerbals for all my ships.. 0.001 tons lighter"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.