[Idea] Kerbal Kids, expanded Colonies, and more

LadyAthena

Sooo with the implimentation of Female kerbals, and deep space space stations, and or Planetary colonies.. What would a mod that implements a chance of a kerbal kid being "born" on that colony?

If a male and female have lived on a colony for x # of years and that colony is a sufficient size. Of course the kid would be nothing more than a number and name on a display box, but it would add an interesting thing to the game no doubt. The implications of it would be rather fun actually.

Consider:

1) The mod which makes Kerbals need food, water, etc. Having a few kids born on a colony could result in that need growing. Resulting in you having to update your colony with either more modules, or move those kids from the colony to KSP (Perhaps a contract?)

2) If you kept the kids checked in the background, you could also have it procedurally generate them into a working KSP member in the future. Say 21 years in the future, the Kid who was born on the Eve Colony is now mature enough and has gone through the training to be either a scientist, engineer, or pilot. Which one he/she is is randomly chosen depending on the parents, and what they were as well as averaging the parents stats.

3) For Immersion sake, it would help give the illusion and immersion that Kerbin isn't just a planet where Kerbals pop up out of holes in the ground, which is of course ridiculous. (Sorry had to throw in LOTR, kudo's to those who caught it.... you nerd.).

4) It would help to grow Colonies past being just "Pods" with kerbals in them. New Modules such as a nursery, eatery/kitchen, sleeping quarters, school module of multiple different grades, etc. could also be built on the colony, creating a larger structure more fit towards the futuristic idea's we have of truly colonizing another planet.

5) KSP turns KSG(Kerbal Space Government). With the implimentation of several colonies, suddenly you could make another mod that results in each Colony having special "focuses". Whether it be "recreational" (Just chilling and living, which would have the highest birth probability), Scientific focused (virtually no birth probability), Or even Educational (Very large specialized modules which train the "Teen kerbals" in space flight, and KSP specialities giving them a big boost in stats upon gaining age 21). This could also allow you to give colonies special focuses, boosting specific things. (Such as giving a Colony a science focus would increase the science output of that colony, but also increase the power generation, likewise, setting a colony to "recreational" would boost the birth rate etc. but also the food intake. If you use the mod that allows you to build ships in orbit or on other planets, you could even set a colony to "production", which could decrease the time it takes to build ships, with the added cost of extra energy as well.).

6) Let the birth of the Interstellar KSG Commence!: If a mod like this really took off, you would see players with 5+ colonies, with transport shuttles setup between them even with the mod that allows for ships to be built in orbit or on other planets, resulting in a completely self supported Interstellar Kerbal Civilization.

7) (Sorry I keep adding new ones) IF it did get this far, soon you'd need kerbals with other specialties.. Such as teachers to help train the new teens into a proper KSP member who'll create wonderful explo.. err.. advances in kerbin adventures.

What do you guys think?

Edited by LadyAthena
updated the name

I havn't heard of that but I'll look into it.

I don't know how much work he has done on it though. He's been focused on updating the USI mods for 1.0 and working on the MK4 modules for MKS, and making the new life support system.

Seems to alienate almost all sexual orientations.

There's a world of difference between sexual orientation and the ability to actually create offspring :P

- - - Updated - - -

Side note - yes, the MKS Mark IV MKS bits will result in the occasional new Kerbal popping out ;)

I think this is a really good idea. Ideally, kid Kerbals would be smaller, and kinda useless, at first, but after a Kerbal year or so, they'd have a growth spurt then become fully fledged?

The concept is pretty adorable, and gameplay-wise, I can see tons of scope. I haven't tried the Kerbal Civilisation mod, but it sounds like there could be some overlap there. Worth combining?

I wouldn't mind a colony-building scene (similar to the VAB and SPH scenes) that would function a lot like the game "Banished" in KSP.

This.

Have some threshold of kerbals landed, ISRU capability, and maybe a new part that is "cargo" (just a substantial mass of "cargo) where you'd need to land XXX tons of it, then you can construct and in-situ facility (The structures covered with regolith, likely, so not externally complex, sue to quonset hut-like things with soil over them, and an exposed airlock.

I think this is a really good idea. Ideally, kid Kerbals would be smaller, and kinda useless, at first, but after a Kerbal year or so, they'd have a growth spurt then become fully fledged?

The concept is pretty adorable, and gameplay-wise, I can see tons of scope. I haven't tried the Kerbal Civilisation mod, but it sounds like there could be some overlap there. Worth combining?

Is there a kerbal civilization mod?

This.

Have some threshold of kerbals landed, ISRU capability, and maybe a new part that is "cargo" (just a substantial mass of "cargo) where you'd need to land XXX tons of it, then you can construct and in-situ facility (The structures covered with regolith, likely, so not externally complex, sue to quonset hut-like things with soil over them, and an exposed airlock.

This could work yea. The main hub could be the C&C of the Colony, from there you branch out into other specialized hubs, while also keeping the "Cargo", Water, Food, electricity, etc. etc. supplied properly at least until the colony is self sufficient.

But seriously, this feature would imply that the Kerbal Space Program only hires heterosexual cisgender astronauts.

It implies no such thing. People of all genders and orientations find ways to reproduce IRL, no reason to think kerbals would be all that different.

I have to say that your ideas are amazing. Hopefuly the developers will make a redezine of the game code because for the computers like mine, ksp is getting really hard to run espeshely If I have a lot of mods. For the version 1.0 I hope they will do something about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say that your ideas are amazing. Hopefuly the developers will make a redezine of the game code because for the computers like mine, ksp is getting really hard to run espeshely If I have a lot of mods. For the version 1.0 I hope they will do something about it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.. Thank you.. and.. Thank you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.