[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Hyomoto, is this what you are referring to? I'm not sure I even see a specific answer to that one. I accept I could be 100% wrong. And I know a lot if people have been asking repeat questions. But we are all here to help each other after all.

no. The Mod author has stated multiple times that these artifacts are caused by this altitude being the cutoff point for rendering, resulting in that patchy effect, and that the fix will be included in the next release. It is hard coded and happens to everyone to varying degrees.

no. The Mod author has stated multiple times that these artifacts are caused by this altitude being the cutoff point for rendering, resulting in that patchy effect, and that the fix will be included in the next release. It is hard coded and happens to everyone to varying degrees.

Oh ok thank you. Like I said I didn't run into that issue or see the answer for myself.

In the politest tone possible with text; the solution is to read back the past twenty pages.

The Hyomoto response is so relevant that not even know of whereof he speaks. Hyomoto, you use the politest tone, yet as a reader I feel insulted.

You think maybe relieve the thread creator by answering his place, if that's the case I think it is more than capable of doing himself.

By the way if blackrack really bothered by repeated questions, it's sufficient to consider it and modify the 1st post.

Do you mean the lens flare or the moon?

Edit: Also I do apologize if anyone else has mentioned this but. I had an Idea. Is it possible to have a settings menu for in atmosphere viewing, and a completely separate settings menu for outer atmosphere viewing? Then an automatic transmission between the two during ascent? It's a simple suggestion that I'm sure has monumental coding mountains to overcome. But the idea would be to tailor what it looks like when you are flying through a planet verses passing over one. I have not been able to find a happy medium between the two. Scatterer makes in atmosphere look breathtaking. But as soon as I enter orbit. It looks like a ball of blue soup. I am sure some of this is my own ignorance in not being able to find a happy medium in the settings menu. I will keep playing with it. And please don't take anything I just said as negative. Scatterer is freaking amazing! And KSP will never be the same again.

I think it is a good idea, until we get better. Avera9eJoe had already asked a similar question in this post and blackrack said he was not against but nothing more.

The Hyomoto response is so relevant that not even know of whereof he speaks. Hyomoto, you use the politest tone, yet as a reader I feel insulted.

You think maybe relieve the thread creator by answering his place, if that's the case I think it is more than capable of doing himself.

By the way if blackrack really bothered by repeated questions, it's sufficient to consider it and modify the 1st post.

I think it is a good idea, until we get better. Avera9eJoe had already asked a similar question in this post and blackrack said he was not against but nothing more.

Right on thank you Vandest. That was exactly what I was asking. Sorry for the repeat question guys. And thank you for the tactful response. I know with all the repeats question everyone is getting a bit edgy. And rightfully so, but we all miss things from time to time.

Eh?

*re-reads*

Oh yeah! I suggested this as a way of removing the flickering circles from orbit. I'm taking back that suggestion until future updates when EVE-Scatterer integration is at a more solid state. In the current moment of scatterers development I don't feel that suggesting fixes or even reporting bugs is all that useful. Keep reading before you judge this comment. This time of year is usually tests and finals for colleges/schools as well as other irl business that has been effecting numerous modders on the forums (including myself). Just as a guess, Blackrack might be busy irl, and posting bugs and suggestions is probably not beneficial. Especially as the suggestions and bugs have probably already been posted. My two cents on the matter. ^-^

EDIT:

Hey Blackrack! NASA just released an awesome 4 minute video of the ISS and earth from orbit in 4K. Idk if you have a 4K monitor (I don't) but regardless it shows some phenomenal footage of the earths atmospheric scattering from orbit as the sun falls. It could be useful! If now, it's a fun video to watch regardless haha. ^-^

Edited by Avera9eJoe
found a use for the word solid in this message

Hey Just tossed this into 1.0.3. It runs so far better than 1.0.2 but... When using custom lens flairs it cuts it off in atmosphere. Not saying to say go fix it. Just saying it so everyone is aware until someone figures it out.

I love this mod, actually look forward to seeing it completely available for all planets especially Jool, so the density is so thick we no longer see the big green bouncy rubber ball. :)

Edit: I may have said this already and forgot...

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/28/atmospheric-scattering-in-the-blacksmith/

Unity released neat free asset showcasing their new implementation of atmospheric scattering with occlusion, might be useful as a reference in the future. :)

Very nice find bac9, though it probably won't work for a round planet and for the view from orbit. However I could adapt their occluded scattering/godrays implementation and it could make a great addition.

By the way, not sure how much of problem would that pose for you and rbray, but it looks like Unity plans to deprecate the Material object constructor with a shader source argument, which will render an approach used to sideload shaders from plaintext library resources used by many mods right now impossible. Material constructors will only accept Material references or Shader references going forward, and a string-based Shader constructor doesn't exist either. Not sure how to work around that.

http://aras-p.info/blog/2015/04/27/optimizing-unity-renderer-3-fixed-function-removal/

As far as I understand, it's just marked as obsolete at the moment but still works on Unity 5.1, but it won't anymore once 5.2 lands. This spells trouble for any shader mod should KSP move to that release.

There might be a way to load Assets containing Shaders as an alternative, but I never looked at it before. Asset Bundles were a Pro feature before, if I'm not mistaken, but with Unity 5 unlocking all previously Pro-only features, it's worth a look

Edited by bac9

By the way, not sure how much of problem would that pose for you and rbray, but it looks like Unity plans to deprecate the Material object constructor with a shader source argument, which will render an approach used to sideload shaders from plaintext library resources used by many mods right now impossible. Material constructors will only accept Material references or Shader references going forward, and a string-based Shader constructor doesn't exist either. Not sure how to work around that.

http://aras-p.info/blog/2015/04/27/optimizing-unity-renderer-3-fixed-function-removal/

As far as I understand, it's just marked as obsolete at the moment but still works on Unity 5.1, but it won't anymore once 5.2 lands. This spells trouble for any shader mod should KSP move to that release.

I use the text constructor to load shaders and as far as I know rbray does the same too. Unless the devs add a proper way to import shaders this would effectively mean all shader mods are dead.

There might be a way to load Assets containing Shaders as an alternative, but I never looked at it before. Asset Bundles were a Pro feature before, if I'm not mistaken, but with Unity 5 unlocking all previously Pro-only features, it's worth a look

As if I'm not already having enough trouble with the Reflection plugin.

Mike (Mu) suggested that using AssetBundles can be a workaround. They should not be locked behind the Pro license in Unity 5.x in contrast with 4.x, so any modder might be able to build them with a Unity Editor and it might be worth to start trying them out.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildingAssetBundles5x.html

that s some welcome news

Mike (Mu) suggested that using AssetBundles can be a workaround. They should not be locked behind the Pro license in Unity 5.x in contrast with 4.x, so any modder might be able to build them with a Unity Editor and it might be worth to start trying them out.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildingAssetBundles5x.html

That's good to hear. I'll have to experiment a bit... hopefully I'll be able to release WIP EVE before Squad gets to 5.2 :)

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I just read the blog entry... We are fine. Aras was talking about fixed function shaders. We use compiled shaders, so we'll be unaffected.

Actually, I just read the blog entry... We are fine. Aras was talking about fixed function shaders. We use compiled shaders, so we'll be unaffected.

I don't think so. The cause for removal was the fact that this constructor was initially created with fixed function shaders in mind and the fact that FFS support is being removed, yes - but the string-based constructor is removed entirely, as far as I understand. It makes no difference what you actually intend to pass into the string when string-based constructor is removed.

Edited by bac9

I don't think so. The cause for removal was the fact that this constructor was initially created with fixed function shaders in mind and the fact that FFS support is being removed, yes - but the string-based constructor is removed entirely, as far as I understand. It makes no difference what you actually intend to pass into the string when string-based constructor is removed.

Ah... I see. Yeah, this may be problematic.

Well I hope the asset bundles will do the trick, I already considered using them once for compute shaders. But really SQUAD could just add a proper way.

Asset bundles are probably how Squad does it themselves. That's how you do things in Unity.

I suggest asking Harv/Mike/Jim/Ted et al. directly regarding your situation

They might be able to address your concerns, or even incorporate something accommodating your case like the aero takeover flag Ferram got for FAR

I suggest asking Harv/Mike/Jim/Ted et al. directly regarding your situation

They might be able to address your concerns, or even incorporate something accommodating your case like the aero takeover flag Ferram got for FAR

Shader loading is one of those rare things where "Unity not us :^)" can be said unironically, so nope, I doubt that.

Asset bundles are probably how Squad does it themselves. That's how you do things in Unity.

Nope, they are automatically included by Unity into any build containing scenes using those shaders, so no special Squad-side system for loading them exists at the moment, afaik. They are just there in the game.

Their own game never needs that system as they have full control over builds themselves and require no sideloading.

And if Asset Bundles indeed work, then there is no need for a system like that anyway on the modding scene side either.

Hey Just tossed this into 1.0.3. It runs so far better than 1.0.2 but... When using custom lens flairs it cuts it off in atmosphere. Not saying to say go fix it. Just saying it so everyone is aware until someone figures it out.

Ok, so I reinstalled scatterer AVP and EVE and a lens flare in the asset9 file in 1.0.4. One at a time, as well as did not convert any of the EVE / AVP textures to dds. And it all ran just fine (in win 7 x64)

So I really don't think Scatterer had anything to do with the sun flare disappearing after all. Looks like it may be an issue with one of the textures and the way I converted it for 1.0.2. Sorry for not looking close enough before posting.