Squadcast Summary for 2015-04-18 - Picture Perfect Edition!

HafCoJoe

"Ablativeness" is a resource, right? An ablative shield has so and so amount of Ablativeness? Like, 50 units, or 200, or whatever? I wonder if you'll be able to convert Ore to "Ablativeness" instead of Monoprop, Xenon, or any of the other resources.
I did get the impression that heatshields would record "wear" by some method, since he said after an aerobrake comment in SQ "unless you are hyper-efficient on how you use them... not going to be able to use them more than once."

Max opened the floodgates of post-1.0 speculation by saying that they have ideas for other things to do with Ore, but for 1.0, it will only process into the various fuel types.

"Ablativeness" is a resource, right? An ablative shield has so and so amount of Ablativeness? Like, 50 units, or 200, or whatever?

I wonder if you'll be able to convert Ore to "Ablativeness" instead of Monoprop, Xenon, or any of the other resources.

No, it is the amount of heat damage your heatshield can take. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_armor

After the heat shield is completely burned up, it is useless. So you better calculate your aerobreaking very well. Or make a stage that is specifically designed to aerobreake your ship. And then you decouple that and use your main heat shield to enter atmosphere.

No, it is the amount of heat damage your heatshield can take. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_armor

After the heat shield is completely burned up, it is useless. So you better calculate your aerobreaking very well. Or make a stage that is specifically designed to aerobreake your ship. And then you decouple that and use your main heat shield to enter atmosphere.

Gameplay-wise it could be treated as a resource, like fuel and electricity. I don't think we'll be able to replenish the shielding though. Maybe in mods.

I wonder if we will be able to choose between heat rejection (RCC/Silica-fibre/AETB) and ablative systems (SLA/PICA/SIRCA/AVCOAT) for the heat sheilds?

If wing shielding is ablative, how will this affect vessels like spaceplanes which were intended for multiple re-entries (i.e. something like a Laythe surface to station shuttle)? Can you feather the re-entry gently enough to get away without shielding?

The larger MK3 sized intakes and wings are cool but... we don't have anything matching enginewise to go with them like a 2.5m RAPIER? Sure you can cluster 3 or 4 1.25m turbojets or RAPIERS for equivalency but it's not quite the same

And I guess, will we be able to get the fairings to come off as 'strips' (rather than per slope sections) or have curves (parabolic/eggshell/conic) on a per section or overall basis? Even if there was a little bit of curvature baked in whenever the profile changed?

That makes so much more sense than what I was thinking. They would not add complication to parts, if they don't really need to.

If wing shielding is ablative, how will this affect vessels like spaceplanes which were intended for multiple re-entries (i.e. something like a Laythe surface to station shuttle)? Can you feather the re-entry gently enough to get away without shielding?
Max said in SQ that higher tier parts (like Mk3) would have higher built-in tolerances for heat. The "ablative" heatshield is intended for parts with lower heat tolerance. So I'm thinking yes.

So fuel flow rules got a workover as well? Or how does fuel get from the wings into the fuselage?

Also, I like the rudder.

The equipment bays will be great to have. If only the doors would slide rather than fold outward. Even if clipping is only an aestethic thing, I like to prevent it wherever possible.

VICTORY!

Other then that, awesome summary as always. Can't wait for 1.0.

We did it!!!!!!!!!! Well done everybody!

- - - Updated - - -

Everything is awesome, holy crap!

I wish Max could have stuck around a little longer to answer whether fairings HAVE TO come apart like that. It would be a but silly and unrealistic, not to mention unattractive.

Other than that, this has to be the best Squadcasts I've ever seen.

This cant be right can it?? It CANNOT be right Gus it's just too stupid to be right.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind the fairings, but I'm glad that the Round8 was saved.

We did it guys, we did it.

You're kidding right? Nobody has ever made a stock fairing that separates like that nor has a mod. You know why? Because its crappy as hell.

I cant believe this...

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is hyperbole, right? Putting tanks on your rocket is less than a fifteenth of the game.

I spend about 50% of my game time designing in the VAB and SPH. I suspect many others do as well, especially those who post regularly in the Spacecraft Exchange.

I think i remember reading somewhere that the fairings seperate based on their connection points. So if it only has Two connection points, then it should seperate in the way that you want perhaps. Unless i'm mistaken.

54 min. - Did they resize the goo container?
That's the picture showing new in-line utility bays with various science and utility parts... it does look a lot like a goo canister, next to a Z-400 battery. The similar-shape radial monoprop canister is even bigger, so if it's not a new part, it does look smaller than it used to be.

Sorry, I meant in-game. In the game, ablativeness is likely a resource. It may be called ablativeness, heatshield units, or whatever but it has to be stored somewhere. I hope they don't model it in 3 states (not used, in use, and used up) or something weird like that, and instead do it like DRE does.

But we'll have to wait for 1.0 to see.

Can Squad give us a list of every part that will change including size changes?? Because size changes break craft. We should be given a heads up about what will happen exactly so we can remove those parts from our craft. We spend a lot of time and effort on them and we should be warned.

Can Squad give us a list of every part that will change including size changes?? Because size changes break craft. We should be given a heads up about what will happen exactly so we can remove those parts from our craft. We spend a lot of time and effort on them and we should be warned.

I'm not sure such a list is even finalized until the release goes live. I would suggest backing up your 0.90 game so you can rework your craft once 1.0 drops (this is especially important for Steam users who leave automatic updates on).

Honestly, I expect most if not all parts to be changed in some way or another, given that there's a big rebalance as part of this update. Craft are gonna break, or at least have their capabilities changed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.