I haven't played KSP in a while, how do I get back into it?

Xetalim

I've been around here for 2 years now. I took a brake from playing this game, which lasted for more than a year.

I do really want to get back into it, but how would I stop myself from quitting the game after only a few minutes?

(Is this the right place on the forum for this even?)

1.0 will be out next Monday, if we have been reading the clues from Squad correctly, so it is probably best to wait to start anything like a career. As far as staying engaged, well that can be a problem if you don't know how to make your own adventures.

Try to challenge yourself to accomplish things you haven't done before. So you made it to orbit, have you made it to the Mun? So you made it to the Mun can you get to another planet. Can you capture an asteroid? Can get a Spaceplane to orbit? Can you get a spaceplane to orbit that doesn't drop pieces? Can you build a shuttle (rocket launched spaceplane)? Can you build a space station? Can you build a Mun base... or a Duna base? Can you build a VTOL plane?

This is how I keep going, I think of things I haven't done before and challenge myself to do them. If you run out of ideas, try a mod that adds a new game mechanic. RemoteTech forces you to launch satellite networks or you won't be able to use probes. TAC Life Support makes you manage food, water, and other resources on your stations and craft. Can you do any of that?

Still no ideas? Come back here. I just listed several, others can surely come up with some more. In fact there is a whole forum dedicated to that purpose.

three words: destroy the buildings.

You can do that now, so why not go kerbal and crash stress test the VAB?

PS: the animation for the VAB destruction is awesome

yes, it's so awesome that I have to underliner it

I'll add to that suggestion - try to do so with precision orbital bombardment!

EDIT: Precision orbital bombardment - WITH ASTEROIDS!

Edited by EtherDragon

three words: destroy the buildings.

You can do that now, so why not go kerbal

Seriously, can we avoid glorifying destruction as some sort of "Kerbal" thing? It's pretty much the worst sort of cancerous meme to have infected this game and it deserves to die.

OP, how to get back into KSP? It's simple: launch.

If there is still more to do, go for those new landings/missions around planets you have never visited. If you have done all that (or it's would take more time to learn, as to be honest, Eve is DIFFICULT :P ), then install KIS and find a new way to build when your out and about on the space ships and moons.

Haven't played for a year? Well then, you haven't seen career mode (and possibly not science mode), SLS parts, new spaceplane parts, and asteroids. The SLS parts (and increased joint rigidity) alone can allow you to build much larger rockets with greater payloads than before. That ought to keep you occupied for a while!

And building off of what Alshain said, once you're done with that stuff, do a Jool-5 mission.

And I bet that before you get all that done, 1.0 will be out and you'll have new things like:

Reentry heat, and heat shields

Mining and processing ore into fuel from celestial bodies (think Kethane/Karbonite)

Revamp of the atmospheric model

Wet wings/bigger wings/larger landing gear

Fairings, spaceplane and inline rocket cargo bays

And more here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110482-KSP-1-0-General-Thread-All-the-new-features

Here are some 1.0 teasers: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115866-Squadcast-Summary-for-2015-04-18-Picture-Perfect-Edition!

And when you're done having fun with that, multiplayer will be out. KSP will probably end up being my most played game on Steam in terms of hours played. DAoC is the only other game that might come close, but I don't actually know (and I don't play it any longer of course).

Frankly, if you haven't been motivated to play in the past year, then there probably is little in existence (.90) or in what is planned for 1.0 to get you interested.

It's OK. Try 1.0 when it comes out. If you like it, then play some more. If not, then do something else. Simples. There are no tricks or suggestions to magically change your mind. Just try it... and accept the consequences.

EDIT: Why do I sometimes think these kinds of posts seem to be trolling? no offence to the OP because this may be a serious question, but still...

Edited by Wallygator

And when you're done having fun with that, multiplayer will be out. KSP will probably end up being my most played game on Steam in terms of hours played. DAoC is the only other game that might come close, but I don't actually know (and I don't play it any longer of course).

Er... Dark Age of Camelot?

Been a while since I've heard that name..

Seriously, can we avoid glorifying destruction as some sort of "Kerbal" thing? It's pretty much the worst sort of cancerous meme to have infected this game and it deserves to die.

OP, how to get back into KSP? It's simple: launch.

So much yes. Cannot stress this enough. As "unrealistic" as i am in other questions compared to regex - here he is spot on imo.

I myself wouldnt care not to attract the "'plosions!!!" crowd at all, but even from a squad "every kerm is sacred" perspective this road is a sloppy one marketingwise.

To the OP: Why going to ask questions on forums if you already got your answer for yourself? Youre not playing it, quite possible its just not your game anymore, else you would probably playing it right now. What do you want to hear? ;)

Er... Dark Age of Camelot?

Been a while since I've heard that name..

Yes. Best MMORPG of its time in my opinion. I put a lot of my free time into it. The interface and graphics aren't competitive today, though. :(

So much yes. Cannot stress this enough. As "unrealistic" as i am in other questions compared to regex - here he is spot on imo.

I myself wouldnt care not to attract the "'plosions!!!" crowd at all, but even from a squad "every kerm is sacred" perspective this road is a sloppy one marketingwise.

To the OP: Why going to ask questions on forums if you already got your answer for yourself? Youre not playing it, quite possible its just not your game anymore, else you would probably playing it right now. What do you want to hear? ;)

I'm of two minds on this one. Personally, I play with the no-kerbal-left-behind mentality, so I see where Regex and you are coming from. KSP can cater to the serious gamer for sure.

On the other hand, making the protagonists infinitely expendable can actually change the way that players approach the game, and for the betterment of the overall entertainment experience. I remember running through Portal 2 with developer comments enabled, and learned that Valve actually had the multiplayer co-op avatars modeled as humans in their first play tests. The players didn't take risks or experiment because they were too afraid of killing their partner, and this actually detracted from their enjoyment. Valve switched the models to robots that could be infinitely copied and reassembled and the players suddenly started "playing" more -- experimenting and not being afraid to accidentally (or intentionally) portal their partner into a bottomless pit :P

Squad wants players to try slapping on some boosters and seeing what happens to the infinite supply of cartoony Kerbals (cartoons don't suffer real consequences), as opposed to being too afraid of marooning or killing a digital human being.

You joined the forums when I did. You've missed career mode. It really changes up the game play and, if you're like me, will force you do try alternative designs from those you might have used in sandbox. Playing until you max out the tech tree is a fun exercise. But as others have said, you might as well wait till 1.0 comes out.

Wait for 1.0 on Tuesday (Australian Time) next week. If you don't enjoy playing enough to keep at it then KSP probably isn't for you.

I've been suckered into plenty of games that I never play because I don't end up enjoying them like I thought I might.

It's why I never buy a game any more without playing the 'Demo' version for a few hours.

Why are you guys so opposed to destroying the buildings? It's fun as heck, but not something you would do all the time. It's just fun to get you back into the game.

1) Build missile to get used to VAB controls

2) Blow up buildings for lulz

3) Keep building things to blow up buildings

4) Eventually you get bored

5) Transition back towards actual KSP

Just because Kerbals enjoy explosions doesn't mean they're all about explosions. They're about exploration and science, but even they need to have fun sometimes, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.