Harv's 'Long Overdue' Feature?

Akinesis

Maybe the ability to customize Kerbals? Like change their names... so, you know, we can get even more attached to them and cry for a week after leaving them stranded in Eeloo.

EDIT:

Considering the "Try to Imagine it's your first time playing", maybe a quick intro cutscene showing the KSC, the kerbal anthem on the background, etc... ?

Edited by DaniAngione

Is this still an open question? Mhmm - my best bet(s) would be:

- Some kind of quick reference of the keys

or

- Something like "Tip of the day"

or

- A help button with tips for each situation

or

- A "tie-in" of the KSP-wiki.

All of them would be possible in a few coding-hours (especially for the head-developer) and would help EXTREMELY for new players (heck, I also always have to look up some of the keys)...

-- edit --

Oh, and a user manual of some kind is clearly missing!

Edited by dyson
(additional idea)

What happen to a new player?

During the first launch, they usually do a loud countdown, followed by the "where is the launch button?", followed by explosions

So my guess would be either

1- A loud audio countdown

2- A big red friendly button marked "LAUNCH!"

3- Instant Slow-motion replay of the explosion.

Okay, now the videos are published so I can talk about this. There are several features in 1.0 that I don't believe were specifically mentioned in various update teasers, but I think the one extremely cool feature that HarvesteR was talking about is the exhaust smoke being diverted along the ground, and channeled by the trenches under the launch pad. If that's it, then a few people here guessed correctly.

After a few days of thinking, I have an idea of what he might have implemented in 2 days. It wouldn't require much testing at all. .......SNIP......

What he said seems to be missing from most guessworks in here. As a software dev I am well aware of tedious and thorough testing-procedure a healthy company has, and from my interpretation of the devnotes I would say that Squad follows such a standard too.

So, whatever the feature is, it requires the minimum of testing, it won't affect many aspects of the game, and it'll be small enough to "just add, no need to test", or close to.

I'm thinking along these lines:

- Not a bugfix. If it was easy, it had been fixed long ago, and I'm sure a well-known bug would be in the bugtracker and require QA to sign off on it.

- Something that is very localized

- If it's bugged, it is unlikely to break anything else

- Quick to implement, as previously stated

A feature that would be cool, and fits the above restrictions would be a launch countdown or something similar. Someone already mentioned that, and I do agree: We want it, and it has been missing for too long.

These are all pretty good ideas.

I'm sticking with my original guess though, that HarvesteR made it so you can see the current mapping of the Keyboard at any time in-game.

I'm pretty experienced, but I still keep hitting the wrong docking translation buttons all the time.

Better said, engines now do a dust sweep effect when near Kerbin surface. Nice touch, Harv, nice touch.

Now, could we have clouds ? Dust in the ground is exactly as resource intensive as clouds , I guess ...

It could also be thumbnails for craft. This would certainly fit with the "imagine you're a new player." It's alot easier to understand what a craft is when you can see a thumbnail of it.

Edited by DrD

It could also be thumbnails for craft. This would certianly fit with the "imagine you're a new player." It's alot easier to understand what a craft is when you can see a thumbnail of it.

Harv confirmed himself that he made the smoke effects. ;)