Who's Playing What?

Moss

What are you playing?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What are you playing?

• I'm playing Sandbox and liking it.
    • I'm playing Sandbox and not liking it.
    • I'm playing Career and liking it.
    • I'm playing Career and not liking it.
    • Other- see my lengthy reply.

This is a quick poll I wanted to post to see who was playing Sandbox and who was playing Career mode in KSP 1.0

It seems that a lot of people complaining about the game are hampered by awful design in early career mode, whereas everyone praising the update seems to be playing sandbox, just going by the forums. Personally, I haven't even stuck through career long enough to try a Mun fly-by, because the dodgy heat shields and parachutes were too much to tolerate. Interested to see what other people think.

well both sandbox and career. i like them both but balance issues are rampaging both gameplay modes- career has a wall around the mun era of contracts on anything harder then normal and sandbox made some launchers way too underpowered and SSTOs are now even harder that i expect even less designs to show up and even more frustrated players too- but still this is KSP and i love it and i'm having fun doing this so why would i stop because it's hard?

Switching between both, although Sandbox seems more fun at the moment. I love this new update, fairings are great and Resources sound like they'll be awesome (you know, once you actually get all that equipment out there). Aerodynamics are interesting. It's a much better system than the old soup-o-sphere, but my god, I feel like a new player all over again! :P

Career is really pushing me to go further sooner than I'm used to. I've gathered a fair amount of science from around KSC and LKO, and continuing to keep a spare goo canister for new biome exploration when landing tourists in remote parts of Kerbin. But the only real way to get more science research done now is a Mun flyby, something I'm very hesitant about trying until I've got solar panels.

But hey, what's the worst that could happen right?

Playing both and loving it!!

Doing some testing in sandbox and also have a career game going.

I used the sandbox game to learn how to launch again. It only took 3 or 4 tries to put a viable Eve probe up.

In my career game, Valentina is doing just fine with no problems other than a scary moment on my first attempted orbital mission which lacked some control authority (and perhaps had an excess of boosters) and ended up with an apoapsis of 540 km, My reentry trajectory was so steep I was scared for Val. But with her bada55 pilot skills and cool head the chutes were deployed at exactly the right moment and she survived reentry without any protection other than her Mk16 chute and a Mk1 command pod. No heat shields required.

Very happy landings!!

Career is really pushing me to go further sooner than I'm used to. I've gathered a fair amount of science from around KSC and LKO, and continuing to keep a spare goo canister for new biome exploration when landing tourists in remote parts of Kerbin. But the only real way to get more science research done now is a Mun flyby, something I'm very hesitant about trying until I've got solar panels.

But hey, what's the worst that could happen right?

This... I got stuck in Career because I've already maxed out most of Kerbin's science, and I still don't have solar panels for the probe flyby! Remind me to rush for panels next time :wink:

Both and Loving it but more sandbox at the moment.

I tend to treat sandbox as a KSP career simulator.

So in sandbox building planes trying out the new aero making poor Kerbals die as their craft turns to confetti around them.

But that's ok in Sandbox they aren't reel anyway. Then Have a play to get the hang of resources before returning to career to pick up where i left off.

I still wish there was a Simulator building within Career that basically let you quick jump to a Science game and let me and Kerbals practice not dying by dying.

I always start a new version in stock career. It plays no differently than previous career, frankly. Science/tech/contracts/career need to be rebuilt from the ground up, IMO. Together, as they all interact.

My main savegame is Science mode, with all parts unlocked at the start and science fluff text is available - I'm playing according to my personal headcanon, where the development of Kerbal rocketry came from ballistic missiles used during a major war. I don't particularly care for contracts myself.

I do have a sandbox game where I run dress rehearsals of upcoming missions, as well as for add-on development.

This... I got stuck in Career because I've already maxed out most of Kerbin's science, and I still don't have solar panels for the probe flyby! Remind me to rush for panels next time :wink:

Yeah, in hindsight I'm fairly sure I could have unlocked them. I'd been avoiding looking too far ahead in the tech tree (never unlocked the full tree in any version), but being able to plan this sort of stuff sounds like a plus.

Hooray new career!

I'm playing both Sandbox and Career.

Sandbox I'm doing so I can test the new aero, mostly. Career is to actually play. I've been playing both about the same amount though.

I'm enjoying sandbox a lot and career for the most part. I find the tech tree to be poorly ordered (again) and money balancing needs another (three) pass(es) to be good. Right now astronauts and buildings cost so much more than rockets (which is the main thrust of the game) you don't really need to worry that much about how your rockets cost.

But in short, I'd say "both, and enjoying them" if it was an option.

I don't really play science mode. I don't see the need. I would still suggest it for any new players, though. I think it's a good way for them to teach themselves without being overwhelmed with parts. It'd be even better if the tech tree had a coherent order to it.

I'm cruising through on Normal difficulty. All of the 90-science nodes unlocked and a few of the 160's. I'm not having any trouble controlling a craft with a heat shield on it. You just can't drop SAS and forget about them like you used to. I just got done dropping this on Minmus:

5jRbuR6.png

The aero isn't getting in the way of how I do business.

Aside from "Stage Only" fuel calculations and airplane path calculation, I haven't found bugs.

So far I've found it to be more challenging without feeling as grindy as .90. I've got enough funds to mess about with stuff that doesn't net a paycheck, and the new tree soaks up the science so I'm not halfway through it after a couple of nights play. I figure it's going to take at least a week to unlock the tree. All in all I like the mechanics of 1.0 career mode enough that I won't be running to the Sandbox like I did in .90.

Edited by ArmchairGravy

Right now in Sandbox.

My first rocket (a DeltaII look-alike) was ale to get to space with fuel to spare, and drop a satellite in a 500km orbit of Kerban. I didn't tumble or crash or anything. But true that in Sandbox I had the big ASAS ring + a 2.5meter computer to keep my rocket straight.

I also build a Delta-shaped plane with 2 Turbojets... That was fun except the highest I was able to get to was about 45k, looks like I wont waste time making SSTO unless I have the rapiers (which are at the end of the tech tree unfortunately).

Didn't have time to do anything else, but so far the game is performing well.

I've managed to do up a Mun orbit contract in Career, hoping to nail that first landing on the next flight. First two flights were suborbital, third was LKO, fourth was Mun flyby on a free return trajectory, fifth was Mun orbit and back. Sixth should be landing.

I'm playing career, and while I voted "liking it", it's...not quite that good (though I can't say I'm hating it either).

I think the tech tree progression needs some serious work, partly for balance but mostly for realism. I still don't know why you get the Science Jr. and the Goo canister before you get a fraking thermometer or barometer, the plane parts are still too deep into the tree (we were flying well before we left the atmosphere; still don't know why the basic jet engine, an air intake, the basic landing gear and a set of wings aren't available pretty much immediately), and of course you start off with manned (kerballed?) rockets prior to unmanned ones...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.