[1.0.2][May20] WasdEditorCamera: FPS editor controls

FW Industries

WasdEditorCamera brings FPS controls to your editor. Fly into those pesky cargo bays and get the view you want.

ViciousWellinformedCoati.gif

(http://gfycat.com/ViciousWellinformedCoati)

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7121093/ksp-mods/KSP%5B1.0.2%5DWasdEditorCamera%5BMay20%5D.zip

Tested in 1.0.2

Usage: Move around with WASD keys, hold right mouse to look around. Q/E for up/down. Space/Shift to move faster/slower. When you have a part selected it will follow you around if right mouse is held. Otherwise it will rotate the part as usual. Press 5 to switch between stock camera and wasd controls.

Keys, movement speed, etc can be configured in config file. Config is reapplied when editor is entered. Use MM to reload config database.

Known issues:

- The workaround for issue 3838 is a bit hacky and might break things. Compatibility mode for EditorExtensions is enabled by default, though.

- The stock VAB camera doesn't have a horizontal offset. So when switching back to stock camera the pivot point snaps back to center. I tried to keep the camera in it's current position and only rotate the view.

- When moving parts around the camera is clamped to editor bounds but the part isn't. If you clip the part through the wall you can't select it anymore. But undo will move it back.

- Unity's Screen.lockCursor resets the cursor to screen center. Used native functions on Windows as workaround. Other OSs are currently stuck with snapping cursors.

Changelog:

- 2015 May 20 Initial release

Source and MIT License included in download.

Holy Jebediah... where did this come from? Don't answer that, it's not a real question.

I just love it when things like this come straight out of the ozone and smack you where you didn't know you could be smacked. Awesome stuff.

Love it. After just finishing a big project, I was really starting to despise the stock camera, so this came at just the right time. I too would like a similar camera for in-flight use.

Love it. After just finishing a big project, I was really starting to despise the stock camera, so this came at just the right time. I too would like a similar camera for in-flight use.

In flight cams are cam tools mod

I'm not sure of the limitations of the editor and modding, but would you be able to press a keybind(or press a button in a parts rt-click menu) and lock/set the pivot point to the center of a part that you choose?

Any chance I can convince you to add this in flight mode? A bunch of people are working with me to make a KSP movie(yes, not short film), and this would be awesome if we could use it for camera control.

Did you try Camera Tools?

Hmm.. would it be possible to add in an icon in the gizmos for this?

I'd love to integrate mods more tightly with the stock UI. While I kinda set myself up for this with the default 5 hotkey, I'm not sure if the gizmo bar is the right place for this toggle. Maybe it should just go to the normal app toolbar? But extending the gizmo bar sounds interesting, I'll look into this.

I'm not sure of the limitations of the editor and modding, but would you be able to press a keybind(or press a button in a parts rt-click menu) and lock/set the pivot point to the center of a part that you choose?

From what I understand, MachXXV is working on this for EditorExtensions.

Do you have any plans on adding this to CKAN?

No, I don't really care about mod managers. But if someone wants to maintain a separate download, please feel free to do whatever necessary.

Did you try Camera Tools?

That is what we are currently planning to use, but our itinerary for "stunts" we have to pull off include hitting a flying target with a missile, driving 12 rovers over a hill in a cluster simultaneously, and a building montage. :cool: Currently we are planning to use KOS to manage multiple vehicle movements, but If we had a tool such as this in flight mode, it would be really easy to get a good camera angle while do these things :D

No, I don't really care about mod managers. But if someone wants to maintain a separate download, please feel free to do whatever necessary.

Thanks, I'm working on it now. Just to clarify, is 'May20' the official version number? Here's the metadata, if you have any corrections I'm more than happy to correct it.

Edited by lawnmowerlatte
Fixed link

very nice mod =). but I've got one big problem with it. my keyboard is not a qwerty one. could it be possible to use some control defined in the setting instead of wasd.

(the keybinding are in the GameSettings object ex: KeyCode d = GameSettings.Editor_yawRight.primary; )

Edit: didn't see that you could change the key in the config.cfg

Edited by Ekareya

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.