KScale2 1.2.2.3 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

No it's still listed as an unresolved Bug on the Kopernicus dev site.

As soon as a new release comes out I'll test it with K2, but for the moment we're stuck.

Ok, Makes me sad tho. It is all I am waiting for to try K2. I prefer to play career mode. Hopefully soon.

Thank you for all the work you do.

I'm having fun playing at this scale. Thanks for making it.

One bug I've noticed is that the distance from KSC is wrong when recovering vehicles. It is about 940 km, when just outside KSC. I've searched, and it sounds like there used to be a Kopernicus bug causing the recovery distance to always be 942.5km, but that was taken care of. This isn't that, because the distance varies (if I land east of KSC it's lower, west is a bit higher). Given the similarity of the distance, it could be related though. So, it seems like the location of KSC is calculated wrong, but not for launches, just for recoveries. This could easily be a Kopernicus bug, but I thought I'd mention it here first because when I removed Kscale2 but left Kopernicus installed, it went away. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Should I go to Kopernicus to report this?

It doesn't really affect the game experience much, it just costs some funds. And if you actually land on KSC grounds, the recovery cost is right.

I'm having fun playing at this scale. Thanks for making it.

One bug I've noticed is that the distance from KSC is wrong when recovering vehicles. It is about 940 km, when just outside KSC. I've searched, and it sounds like there used to be a Kopernicus bug causing the recovery distance to always be 942.5km, but that was taken care of. This isn't that, because the distance varies (if I land east of KSC it's lower, west is a bit higher). Given the similarity of the distance, it could be related though. So, it seems like the location of KSC is calculated wrong, but not for launches, just for recoveries. This could easily be a Kopernicus bug, but I thought I'd mention it here first because when I removed Kscale2 but left Kopernicus installed, it went away. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Should I go to Kopernicus to report this?

It doesn't really affect the game experience much, it just costs some funds. And if you actually land on KSC grounds, the recovery cost is right.

Might as well report it just to have the dev at least take a look. I have been noticing the same thing when using stage recovery that boosters I dropped 10km up said recovered 100sKm away which seemed strange. That maybe the cause.

Everything uses Kopernicus, so yes this is a problem for everyone. There are various work arounds you can try but no perfect fix as of yet.

Workaround for reference:

- Go to GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg

- Backup a copy of the file just in case

- Under the "Survey" contract type, find the following block of entries:

TrivialHomeNearbyRange = 2000

SignificantHomeNearbyRange = 4000

ExceptionalHomeNearbyRange = 6000

You can set these to almost anything you like. For KScale2 to stop crashing, they all need to be above at least 5000. When I played career, I set 5000, 6500 and 8000.

The result of this workaround is that all Survey contracts on Kerbin generate very far away from KSC - probably farther away than is practical for reaching with a plane, especially since the planet is now larger. This is unfortunate, but it's required. Any smaller numbers, and you might crash because the contract subsystem cannot find eligible land to place survey waypoints on (as absurd as it sounds).

Another fix, of course, is to delete (or comment out) the entire Survey contract, if you don't care for them in the first place. Or use a contract configuration mod (there are several that can do it) to specify that you don't want Survey contracts to generate.

hey, I installed this mod and the rotational period for kerbin seems to be just under six hours, is this right?

Kerbin's day/night cycle is the same as stock: exactly 6 hours (sidereal may vary). This has the interesting side effect that the equator moves a lot faster than on stock Kerbin, and you get a lot more boost for launching eastward. The main result of this that it becomes a lot harder to launch in other directions, especially westwards into a retrograde orbit. You need a huge amount of extra dV for that. Somewhere between 800 and 1000 m/s more, beause equatorial speed is somewhere over 400 m/s. It's quite life-like, all told.

One bug I've noticed is that the distance from KSC is wrong when recovering vehicles. It is about 940 km, when just outside KSC.

That's an old bug that Kopernicus has already fixed, but KScale2 still ships a very old version of Kopernicus that still has it. You can try manually updating Kopernicus. It worked for me with a 0.2x version, but admittedly they're already at 0.3 now, so who knows.

Edited by Streetwind

That's an old bug that Kopernicus has already fixed, but KScale2 still ships a very old version of Kopernicus that still has it. You can try manually updating Kopernicus. It worked for me with a 0.2x version, but admittedly they're already at 0.3 now, so who knows.

No, as I said in my original post, it behaves differently than the old bug did. It happens for me on Kopernicus 0.2.4 and on 0.3.1. I'll report it over there as it seems it isn't something with the Kscale2 config.

OH oops Streetwind hit this nail on the head the other day, you can mostly ignore this

Hey i've been watching these threads for a while and I see noone has noticed still:

RSS has a workaround for the career hangup issue.

I DO NOT KNOW THE DETAILS I JUST CAME TO SPREAD THE WORD

RSS has a file called ContractModifier that contains the following:

@Contracts
{
// Terms
@SunStationaryName = heliostationary
@HomeStationaryName = geostationary
@OtherStationaryName = stationary
@SunSynchronousName = heliosynchronous
@HomeSynchronousName = geosynchronous
@OtherSynchronousName = synchronous
@MolniyaName = Molniya

@ARM
{
@AllowSolarEjections = False // hahaha no
@AllowHomeLandings = False // that would be...bad.
}
@Recovery
{
@HighOrbitDifficulty = 0.5 // Moon or so
}
@Satellite
{
// Alts
@TrivialAltitudeDifficulty = 0.009 // LEO to MEO
@SignificantAltitudeDifficulty = 0.05 // MEO to HEO
@ExceptionalAltitudeDifficulty = 0.6 // 550,000km

// Inclinations
@TrivialInclinationDifficulty = 0.6
@SignificantInclinationDifficulty = 1.15
@ExceptionalInclinationDifficulty = 1.95

// Location Chances
@TrivialHomeOverrideChance = 60 // increase these three
@SignificantHomeOverrideChance = 40
@ExceptionalHomeOverrideChance = 30
@TrivialSolarChance = 0
@SignificantSolarChance = 2 // lower these
@ExceptionalSolarChance = 5
}
@Station
{
@SignificantAsteroidChance = 1
@ExceptionalAsteroidChance = 5
}
@Survey
{
// Workaround for infinite loop
@TrivialHomeNearbyRange = 20000
@SignificantHomeNearbyRange = 25000
@ExceptionalHomeNearbyRange = 30000
}
}

I have removed the "ForRealSolarSystem" requirement line but otherwise it is intact. The important thing here is, according to NathanKell, there is an "infinite loop" hangup in resized solar systems that occurs when the system tries to create new contracts for places that are too close or too far from KSP or... or something like that. Please talk to the genius himself. However he and the RSS team devised that that final line especially, titled "Workaround for infinite loop", would seemingly solve the hangup with contracts on achieving orbit/breaking atmo.

I have used it with every custom resize i have rolled for myself and can confirm it seems to work. Spread the word far and wide etc, but hopefully this is a gamechanger for anyone who loves rescaled kerbins.

Edited by Lucius

OH oops Streetwind hit this nail on the head the other day, you can mostly ignore this

Hey i've been watching these threads for a while and I see noone has noticed still:

RSS has a workaround for the career hangup issue.

I DO NOT KNOW THE DETAILS I JUST CAME TO SPREAD THE WORD

RSS has a file called ContractModifier that contains the following:

@Contracts
{
// Terms
@SunStationaryName = heliostationary
@HomeStationaryName = geostationary
@OtherStationaryName = stationary
@SunSynchronousName = heliosynchronous
@HomeSynchronousName = geosynchronous
@OtherSynchronousName = synchronous
@MolniyaName = Molniya

@ARM
{
@AllowSolarEjections = False // hahaha no
@AllowHomeLandings = False // that would be...bad.
}
@Recovery
{
@HighOrbitDifficulty = 0.5 // Moon or so
}
@Satellite
{
// Alts
@TrivialAltitudeDifficulty = 0.009 // LEO to MEO
@SignificantAltitudeDifficulty = 0.05 // MEO to HEO
@ExceptionalAltitudeDifficulty = 0.6 // 550,000km

// Inclinations
@TrivialInclinationDifficulty = 0.6
@SignificantInclinationDifficulty = 1.15
@ExceptionalInclinationDifficulty = 1.95

// Location Chances
@TrivialHomeOverrideChance = 60 // increase these three
@SignificantHomeOverrideChance = 40
@ExceptionalHomeOverrideChance = 30
@TrivialSolarChance = 0
@SignificantSolarChance = 2 // lower these
@ExceptionalSolarChance = 5
}
@Station
{
@SignificantAsteroidChance = 1
@ExceptionalAsteroidChance = 5
}
@Survey
{
// Workaround for infinite loop
@TrivialHomeNearbyRange = 20000
@SignificantHomeNearbyRange = 25000
@ExceptionalHomeNearbyRange = 30000
}
}

I have removed the "ForRealSolarSystem" requirement line but otherwise it is intact. The important thing here is, according to NathanKell, there is an "infinite loop" hangup in resized solar systems that occurs when the system tries to create new contracts for places that are too close or too far from KSP or... or something like that. Please talk to the genius himself. However he and the RSS team devised that that final line especially, titled "Workaround for infinite loop", would seemingly solve the hangup with contracts on achieving orbit/breaking atmo.

I have used it with every custom resize i have rolled for myself and can confirm it seems to work. Spread the word far and wide etc, but hopefully this is a gamechanger for anyone who loves rescaled kerbins.

Awesome, I'll get this rolled into KScale2 first thing tomorrow.

Awesome, I'll get this rolled into KScale2 first thing tomorrow.

Do note that that changes a lot more than just the Survey contract fix. I've played career mode extensively with KScale2 at stock contract settings, and apart from the Survey fix, I found no changes necessary. All of the contracts just worked out of the box.

Do note that that changes a lot more than just the Survey contract fix. I've played career mode extensively with KScale2 at stock contract settings, and apart from the Survey fix, I found no changes necessary. All of the contracts just worked out of the box.

No worries, I only used the survey information. In fact I used the same config as 64k

Before I start screwing things up...

From comparing the config files for this and 64K, it looks like I could change Kerbin's rotation rate to 24 hour days by adding %rotationPeriod = 86400 right after the radius value for Kerbin's properties. Right?

EDIT: Yes, that is all it takes. I am enjoying this double-sized Kerbin a lot, and even more, now with a much slower planetary rotation not flinging my rockets out into space.

I just did a test flight to confirm that you can still reach orbit in Career using stock parts and without any facility upgrades, but barely.

Edited by RoboRay

It's fixed!? Praise Jebus!

lol, just in time for me to start school again. Oh destiny, you are a harsh mistress.

EDIT:

I just tested it. It does work but I noticed a new, less serious bug. When you first load a spacecraft in career mode you immediately unlock the first land-distance record (5000 m I think?) even before you go anywhere. I think it's confused because the KSC's location was reshuffled or something during the rescaling. Apart for that the game seems fine. There was a bit of a jolt when I reached 70 km for the first time, but the game didn't crash.

Edited by PTNLemay

It's fixed!? Praise Jebus!

lol, just in time for me to start school again. Oh destiny, you are a harsh mistress.

EDIT:

I just tested it. It does work but I noticed a new, less serious bug. When you first load a spacecraft in career mode you immediately unlock the first land-distance record (5000 m I think?) even before you go anywhere. I think it's confused because the KSC's location was reshuffled or something during the rescaling. Apart for that the game seems fine. There was a bit of a jolt when I reached 70 km for the first time, but the game didn't crash.

That's probably caused by the fix, which changes the distances survey contracts spawn. I'm assuming that it also causes some of the records to change. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who think that the planets rotate just a little too fast in KScale2, I have whipped up two config files:

This one multiplies all sidereal days by √2. This keeps them in sync with tidally locked bodies, gives the same number of days in a month/year, and makes SMAs of stationary orbits exactly 2x stock. (As a consequence, Duna is once again mutually tidally locked with Ike): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26985795/root2dayscale.cfg

This one mulitplies them by 1.5 instead (except for Duna, which is still muliplied by √2 to be tidally locked), giving Kerbin a 9-hour day: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26985795/9hday.cfg

Drop the one you want into GameData/KScale2 to use.

Edited by Spheniscine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@CaptainRex60100 I have Astronomers Pack V3 installed and it works beautifully.

My only Problem at the moment is, that during flight, the atmoshperic glow seems to be stuck inside Kerbin http://imgur.com/cWlHMlA. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? As far as visual mods go, I have EVE with Astronomers V3 as well as Scatterer installed.

On another Note, OPM works great thanks to Stevehead, is there a way to also get the cloudpack by EleusisLaArwall to work, since the normal EVE stuff doesnt seem to have a Problem?

Thank you for your suggestions and also to PaulKingtiger for this awesome mod!

Edited by Lahulu

@CaptainRex60100 I have Astronomers Pack V3 installed and it works beautifully.

My only Problem at the moment is, that during flight, the atmoshperic glow seems to be stuck inside Kerbin http://imgur.com/cWlHMlA. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? As far as visual mods go, I have EVE with Astronomers V3 as well as Scatterer installed...

That is a known bug from Scatterer. It does that with rescaled planets in map view. I think Blackrack has been working on a fix for it.

Is there a deltav map at all?

For space maneuvers it is generally sufficient to multiply all delta-v numbers by √2. Atmosphere is more complicated and may require testing... but from my experience, launches to LKO take around 4300~4500 m/s.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.