[1.7-1.9] SMURFF: Simple Module adjUstments for Real-ish Fuel-mass Fractions 1.9.1 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

Hey thanks very much for making this mod!

So many times I wanted to play Real solar system, but the amount of buggy mods and requirements for 10,000 extra parts mods turned me off of it.

Someone recommended this to me and so glad it exists :wink:

Since you handle other mods resources, can you handle huge range of KSPI-E resources?

While it uses Interstellar Fuel Switch, procedual fuel tank uses MFT patches to adust fuel mass ratios, but there is mismatch.

Edited by raxo2222

SMURFF doesn't seem to update the masses of the B9 sabre engines. What would I need to do so it catches these? (They appear to be of type MultiModeEngine, if that helps.)

Edited by jrandom

5 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Since you handle other mods resources, can you handle huge range of KSPI-E resources?

While it uses Interstellar Fuel Switch, procedual fuel tank uses MFT patches to adust fuel mass ratios, but there is mismatch.

My first priority is to support the resources of addons that I use (e.g. Near Future Tech), and second those that are simple to patch (e.g. Procedural Tanks).  KSPI does not fit in either category, and I don't have the time this summer to spend on it.

Additionally, some of its resources (e.g. antimatter) are only produced in the real world in minuscule quantities, and are not "stored" so much as they are held in place for a little while before they decay (never mind transportation), so there's no baseline for me to adjust the tank masses.  Other resources (e.g. various nuclear fuels) are only produced, stored, and transported terrestrially, so their tank mass fractions would be awfully large for spacecraft.

1 minute ago, jrandom said:

SMURFF doesn't seem to update the masses of the B9 sabre engines. What would I need to do so it catches these?

By design, engine mass buffs only apply to pure (bipropellant) rockets -- SABREs need not apply.  I might revise this when Skylon or some other multi-mode engine works and blows KSP's RAPIER out of the water, but not before.  :)

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

By design, engine mass buffs only apply to pure (bipropellant) rockets -- SABREs need not apply.  I might revise this when Skylon or some other multi-mode engine works and blows KSP's RAPIER out of the water, but not before.  :)

:(

They're cool engines. I am sad now.

Edit: The B9 SABRE engines model the Skylon engines...

Edited by jrandom

7 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

My first priority is to support the resources of addons that I use (e.g. Near Future Tech), and second those that are simple to patch (e.g. Procedural Tanks).  KSPI does not fit in either category, and I don't have the time this summer to spend on it.

Additionally, some of its resources (e.g. antimatter) are only produced in the real world in minuscule quantities, and are not "stored" so much as they are held in place for a little while before they decay (never mind transportation), so there's no baseline for me to adjust the tank masses.  Other resources (e.g. various nuclear fuels) are only produced, stored, and transported terrestrially, so their tank mass fractions would be awfully large for spacecraft.

I was thinking about liquid resources, but they are as realistic as they can.

So you don't have to care about IFS.

But it would be nice to have modular fuel tank patches, so we could have realistic mass ratios for liquid fuel, oxidizer, and monopropellant.

Edited by raxo2222

I do not think this mod is working for me. 

I scaled up Kerbin x10 with Sigma Dimensions (also using the New Horizons planet pack, but that doesn't really matter) and installed this mod so I can play it without much hassle.

Normally with the stock size, this rocket I have pictures of here should be easily able to escape Kerbin's SOI. With this mod it should still do the same with the resize. However, even with this mod installed, I only get stock delta V and can not even achieve Low Kerbin Orbit. 

Also I am getting errors on startup, and I suspect that has something to do with it.

Edited by FunnelVortex

hey @Kerbas_ad_astra,

This mod is really fantastic, allowing people to easily swap their solar system for the real one without needing 10,000 mods!

I am really enjoying it and I think so many more people would......if they knew it existed. (I found out about it through reddit)

Can I make two recommendations?

Add this mod to spacedock and or curse so that more people will know it exits and get to enjoy RSS without all the complex installs.

Also see if you can get it mentioned on the RSS page. I bet this mod would have so many more players and support if people just knew about it.

thanks, and keep up the great work! 

21 hours ago, FunnelVortex said:

I do not think this mod is working for me. 

I scaled up Kerbin x10 with Sigma Dimensions (also using the New Horizons planet pack, but that doesn't really matter) and installed this mod so I can play it without much hassle.

Normally with the stock size, this rocket I have pictures of here should be easily able to escape Kerbin's SOI. With this mod it should still do the same with the resize. However, even with this mod installed, I only get stock delta V and can not even achieve Low Kerbin Orbit. 

Also I am getting errors on startup, and I suspect that has something to do with it.

I'll need more information to help you -- your log at a minimum, and Kerbal Engineer's evaluation of your rocket would be good.

As for not being able to make orbit with that rocket, I think it's just not big enough.  SMURFF makes it easier to get into orbit, but not trivial.  The stock Kerbal X can get its upper stage into orbit fully-fueled (and with some left in the core booster's tank as well), but even with SMURFF, an expanded upper stage, and removing the landing gear, it can barely lift the command module into orbit (i.e. no fuel left in the upper stage).  As a rule of thumb, your rocket will need to be about 30 times as massive as whatever you want to lift into space.

1 hour ago, spacetackle said:

Can I make two recommendations?

Add this mod to spacedock and or curse so that more people will know it exits and get to enjoy RSS without all the complex installs.

Also see if you can get it mentioned on the RSS page. I bet this mod would have so many more players and support if people just knew about it.

I'll add it to Curse in due time.  Spacedock will need to get some more years under its belt before I'm willing to manage a third distribution point.

As for the RSS thread -- it's @NathanKell's business to promote whatever mods he sees fit on its OP, and I'm happy to let him save his thunder for RO and RP-0 (which have much larger support teams for helping users in trouble).  I know SMURFF gets mentioned by satisfied users in miscellaneous posts on the forums now and then (including the RSS thread), which I find a satisfactory amount of advertising.  :)

(Hipster Kerman thinks getting mentioned on the RSS OP would make SMURFF too mainstream: :cool:)

1 hour ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

'll add it to Curse in due time.  Spacedock will need to get some more years under its belt before I'm willing to manage a third distribution point.

As for the RSS thread -- it's @NathanKell's business to promote whatever mods he sees fit on its OP, and I'm happy to let him save his thunder for RO and RP-0 (which have much larger support teams for helping users in trouble).  I know SMURFF gets mentioned by satisfied users in miscellaneous posts on the forums now and then (including the RSS thread), which I find a satisfactory amount of advertising.  :)

(Hipster Kerman thinks getting mentioned on the RSS OP would make SMURFF too mainstream: :cool:)

As a modder myself I use both spacedock and curse, and I find spacedock FAR easier to use than curse. Curse also is seldom supported by the majority of the community these days.

The reason I think you should do this is not for popularity's sake, but because there would probably be a lot of players who would enjoy your mod very much but they have no idea it exits and so they are missing out on your great work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen several references in NASA and SpaceX presentations to 85% or 95% fuel mass fractions, and I found this paper on supercritical storage of xenon and other electric propellants (e.g. argon), which suggests 6.4% as a reasonable tank mass fraction for xenon: http://erps.spacegrant.org/uploads/images/images/iepc_articledownload_1988-2007/1991index/IEPC1991-107.pdf

First off.. thanks for mod. I like RSS but hate RO... perfect fit.

Anyone using this i assume is using RSS.. so I have a question for you guys..

What antennas are you using? is there a part pack with longer range antennas?

If you're using RemoteTech, I don't know of any ultra-long-range antennas, but there's a patch in RSS (contributed by yours truly) that will automatically extend the ranges of all antennas for AntennaRange.  (You could probably make something similar for RT -- it's just a multiplication by ten.)

I understand that RSS also comes with the Deep Space Network; if you set RangeModelType = Root, then an ultra-long-range ground station can allow even a relatively weak space antenna to complete the connection.

@Kerbas_ad_astra,

Thanks for the great mod!! I am using it for my RSS playthrough, but it has 5 errors on loading. I looked at them and it has to do with this relevant code pulled from the log:

[ModuleManager] Applying node SMURFF/SMURFF/@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],~SMURFFExclude[*rue]]:FOR[zzz_SMURFF] to ProceduralParts/Parts/Tanks/TankOre/proceduralTankOre

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key maxAmount in RESOURCE

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when replacing (%) key resourcemass = #$RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key resourcemass in PART

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$resourcemass$

[ModuleManager] Cannot find key resourcemass in PART

[ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key reservedmass = #$resourcemass$

Looks like it is an issue with the Procedural Ore Tank possibly?

19 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

@pap1723, could you please try this patch?  If it works, I'll add it to the "Extras" folder in the next release (same as the patches for the cryogenic tanks in Ven's Stock Revamp).

@PART[proceduralTankOre]:FIRST
{
	@RESOURCE[Ore]
	{
		%amount = 171.4
		%maxAmount = 171.4
	}
}

I can confirm that I no longer am getting the errors I was getting previous (see below) which appear to have been similar/identical to the other errors people had.

[LOG 07:48:33.795] [ModuleManager] Applying node SMURFF/SMURFF/@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],~SMURFFExclude[*rue]]:FOR[zzz_SMURFF] to ProceduralParts/Parts/Tanks/TankOre/proceduralTankOre
[LOG 07:48:33.797] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key maxAmount in RESOURCE
[LOG 07:48:33.798] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when replacing (%) key resourcemass = #$RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$
[LOG 07:48:33.818] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key resourcemass in PART
[LOG 07:48:33.820] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key mass = #$resourcemass$
[LOG 07:48:33.836] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key resourcemass in PART
[LOG 07:48:33.837] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when editing key reservedmass = #$resourcemass$

Thanks!