[1.2] Karibou Expedition Rover [0.3.0]

RoverDude

Now all that is needed is a rounded ass end (possibly with a built-in ladder) for the form factor, or a couple empty prop Kerbal EV suits (e.g. Desert RATS).

As long as I can throw my junk in the trunk. (wait that came out wrong).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Drives amazing, last shot of the Ascent Vehicle shows pretty much the whole trip (cut the lowlands at a shallow angle into the pole starting from the highlands). Hit three biomes, gots lot's of science, and many "unplanned manoeuvres" kept the whole thing plenty interesting. This was my first extended rover mission while using USI (just hopped on the life support train and loving it) and I couldn't have been more pleased. Thanks RoverDude!

Edited by Glaran K'erman

Glaran, thanks for posting pictures of your missions. I second your comments. I find that driving the Karibou is more enjoyable than any other rover I have made. It is fast. It can take some air, and absorb it on landing. It truly fits the 2.5m form factor, and is easy to fit in cargo bays or fairings.

http://imgur.com/a/pT6pX

Drives amazing' date=' last shot of the Ascent Vehicle shows pretty much the whole trip (cut the lowlands at a shallow angle into the pole starting from the highlands). Hit three biomes, gots lot's of science, and many "unpalnned manoeuvres" kept the whole thing plenty interesting. This was my first extended rover mission while using USI (just hopped on the life support train and loving it) and I couldn't have been more pleased. Thanks RoverDude![/quote']

Dude, that's awesome. If you don't mind I'd love to know what kind of dV your karibou had? Did you VTOL biome hop or do a lot of driving. Also did you land the ascent vehicle separately? (it is so small in the picture it is hard to see).

Thanks Boiler, and to goldenpsp it most definitely was built to drive. She had about 900m/s dV to use soley on descent after deorbit burn from a non-pictured engine module in LDO (shows lower in pic because they ate supplies the WHOOOLE way:)), plenty to get down seeing as she also had plenty of chutes. Could have gotten away with just the drouges and a couple stock parachutes no problem with the dV I had. Also took just a couple mins in the VAB to get the the fuel and thrust balanced, the high gimbal on the Karibou VTOL engines do a lot of the work for you which is nice as VTOL's in this game are hard enough without active fuel balancing in stock.

Can keep a four man crew alive for 6 years and enough power supply to carelessly catch air wherever you please, smashing batteries and solar panels left and right!

Edited by Glaran K'erman

Thanks Boiler' date=' and to goldenpsp it most definitely was built to drive. She had about 900m/s dV to use soley on descent after deorbit burn in LDO (shows lower in pic because they ate supplies the WHOOOLE way:)), plenty to get down seeing as she also had plenty of chutes. Could have gotten away with just the drouges and a couple stock parachutes no problem with the dV I had. Also took just a couple mins in the VAB to get the the fuel and thrust balanced, the high gimbal on the Karibou VTOL engines do a lot of the work for you which is nice as VTOL's in this game are hard enough without active fuel balancing in stock.

[url']http://imgur.com/a/9tPAe

Can keep a four man crew alive for 6 years and enough power supply to carelessly catch air wherever you please, smashing batteries and solar panels left and right!

Very cool. By the way it looks like you have MKS or MKS-L. You can use the MK-V Comm Lab for a small science lab and save a ton of size/weight over the stock lab.

Very cool. By the way it looks like you have MKS or MKS-L. You can use the MK-V Comm Lab for a small science lab and save a ton of size/weight over the stock lab.

.....son of a....

Haha, but for real sort of glad I didn't put that together in my head because the lab windows make it look so cool! Also the Lack Luster Lab antenna, really need to have the antenna (now licensed to Chaka for his eternal enjoyment).

Edited by Glaran K'erman

0.0.5 is up

Added 1000l of KIS inventory to the Karibou rover and crew cabs

Fixed render issue with the crew cab

The Karibou is now a resource distributor in MKS-L

Fixed attachment node issues in the Karibou cargo bay

Fixed collider issue with the Karibou crate

Crates and tanks are EVA repaintable

Adjusted KIS volume of the emergency shelter

0.0.5 is up

Cool stuff!

Unfortunately, there are some FSfuelSwitch mass mismatches (mismasses?): the tank (mass 1, basePartMass 0.4) and adapter (mass 0.65, basePartMass 1).

0.0.5 is up

Yay! Saddlebags are a go!

Just a brief update on the part I was making for the Karibou ...

I have recently discovered that unless I take a dependency on Nertea's excellent Near Future Solar / ModuleCurvedSolarPanel ... this part will never see the light of day. It has to do with KSP not recognizing more than one suncatcher transform natively ... and honestly looking at Nertea's part imported into Blender confused me more than helped ... but made me realize I'm in way over my head. Fortunately I was more concerned with getting all the "toys" working before I concentrated on texturing / fixing my crappy modeling.

So ... I'm looking for idea's on what might be useful in that same space. A battery / probe core is kind of redundant by themselves ... the whole doors / solar panels / antenna was what made it "work" for me as a useful part. Rover already made a probe core ... so I'm at a loss as to what I might transform it into instead.

For Reference:

I fixed the "bug" ... I'm just an idiot with cfg files :)

~M~

Edited by Mynar Moonshadow
I fail at imgur

Just a brief update on the part I was making for the Karibou ...

I have recently discovered that unless I take a dependency on Nertea's excellent Near Future Solar / ModuleCurvedSolarPanel ... this part will never see the light of day. It has to do with KSP not recognizing more than one suncatcher transform natively ... and honestly looking at Nertea's part imported into Blender confused me more than helped ... but made me realize I'm in way over my head. Fortunately I was more concerned with getting all the "toys" working before I concentrated on texturing / fixing my crappy modeling.

So ... I'm looking for idea's on what might be useful in that same space. A battery / probe core is kind of redundant by themselves ... the whole doors / solar panels / antenna was what made it "work" for me as a useful part. Rover already made a probe core ... so I'm at a loss as to what I might transform it into instead.

For Reference:

http://imgur.com/a/tY8Qa

~M~

If you want to go fun, I'd say one option is an alternate emergency Hab. Like a pop up tent. it's a perfect spot for one.

If you want to go fun, I'd say one option is an alternate emergency Hab. Like a pop up tent. it's a perfect spot for one.

I remember you talking about a VW topper ... but honestly I don't think I can do that justice. I'm no where near modeler enough to do a pop-up expanding gizmo like the ILM's. I like the idea ... just don't think I can manage it the "right" way.

~M~

I remember you talking about a VW topper ... but honestly I don't think I can do that justice. I'm no where near modeler enough to do a pop-up expanding gizmo like the ILM's. I like the idea ... just don't think I can manage it the "right" way.

~M~

I'd say a throwback to the VW bus would be cool. Not as fancy as an expanding ILM. Just a hinged roof basically.

volkswagen-camper-van-8.jpg

I'll noodle it around ... but I have "Transformer Syndrome". Michael Bay insisted that every part of the model have a place and "make sense". Given KSP is basically all about solid surfaces ... I have no idea how to replicate the "cloth" part of it while making it seem "Kerbalistic". Perhaps some Nasa gold foil ... but again that's way over my limited skillset currently. *enters contemplation mode*

~M~

I'll noodle it around ... but I have "Transformer Syndrome". Michael Bay insisted that every part of the model have a place and "make sense". Given KSP is basically all about solid surfaces ... I have no idea how to replicate the "cloth" part of it while making it seem "Kerbalistic". Perhaps some Nasa gold foil ... but again that's way over my limited skillset currently. *enters contemplation mode*

~M~

You didn't just seriously reference Michael Bay? So maybe he was nitpicky about the parts of a transformer. If only he could have had the same attention to detail concerning oh I dunno, the story...

lol ... not here to discuss his merits or lack thereof ... I just remember that from one of the bonus scenes thing on the DVD of one of them ... and used it for my own purpose :)

~M~

Neither am I. But my point in bringing it up is to not get stuck on just one aspect. Personally I'd love to see you release a cool part, even if it isn't "transformers" perfect. It still helps further my kerbals' story.

Just think if Roverdude never released anything until his modeling skills reached his current level. How much less fun we would have had without MKS for the last 18 months...

So, admittedly, I'm a bit slow on things with KSP outside of launching rockets and making them explode (I'm really good at that part). This rover looks interesting, but in the OP the vehicle appears to have no wheels. My assumption is that the picture is meant to simply show case the parts of what can be built into a customish rover. I just wanted to verify that assumption is correct? Thanks!

So, admittedly, I'm a bit slow on things with KSP outside of launching rockets and making them explode (I'm really good at that part). This rover looks interesting, but in the OP the vehicle appears to have no wheels. My assumption is that the picture is meant to simply show case the parts of what can be built into a customish rover. I just wanted to verify that assumption is correct? Thanks!

The Karibou comes with quite a few bits including 2 sets of wheels. You can mix and match however you like, or even use stock wheels if that is your preference.

~M~