Do you tweak your control syrfaces when you build planes?

FishInferno

DO you assign control surfaces specific tasks?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. DO you assign control surfaces specific tasks?

• I assign different control surfaces specific tasks
    • I let them all perform all tasks

I didn't really know how to word the title, but that sounds good enough.

Anyway, until recently, when I built planes I just let all of the control surfaces perform all tasks. I only recently started making it so that the elevators only controlled pitch, the ailerons only control roll, and the rudder only controls yaw. So what do you do? Do you assign control surfaces to specific tasks or let them all do all the work?

Of course. I know what controls I want doing what job. FAR gives me more subtle options to control how much they deflect by too.

And pod torque and engine gimbal go off for a regular plane, the control surfaces alone should handle it. But I'll use the magic of reaction wheels to make unorthodox things fly straight.

Definelitely, if you dont assign tasks to them, for example while turning and rolling, it'll perform worse. If you try to roll, it'll lose some pitch control, if you try to pitch, it'll lose some roll capability.

Actually this isn't true. If you have Elevons and roll and pitch at the same time, you will notice that one side will "roll" less to help with the pitch

Of course. I know what controls I want doing what job. FAR gives me more subtle options to control how much they deflect by too.

FAR's tweakable is a perfect example of how it should be done. It's extremely powerful and yet not much larger (UI wise) than the very, very barebones stock mechanism.

Actually this isn't true. If you have Elevons and roll and pitch at the same time, you will notice that one side will "roll" less to help with the pitch

Having control surfaces bound to multiple control inputs isn't a binary good/bad situation. Sometimes having other surfaces pitch in can help, but at other times, it can harm in different ways. For (the most simple) example, you can end up with too much control authority (especially in roll with narrow craft), resulting in twitchy controls and flappy SAS. Another issue that can crop up is that you can be adding too much drag by having control surfaces with bad authority pitching in. Other issues include strange interactions resulting in a skid, or such.

In short, intelligent assignment of surfaces will always beat the pants off of the 'all helping' model.

FAR's widget for controlling the surfaces is even better: you can have a surface react negatively to an input. In some of my (oldFAR) designs, adding a little bit of negative roll to the rudder can help prevent some serious shenanigans.

I tend to allow horizontal control surfaces to do whatever they want; I just disable Yaw on them so they don't try to yaw me into oblivion. For completely vertical tails, I disable everything but Yaw; for V-tails, I allow them to act as either just Pitch and Yaw or all 3.

I work on real aircraft for a living (though I am getting out of the air force soon.) so I understand what control surfaces should do what for best results. Plus real planes can break if they over-G so some control surfaces are limited and I like to make my planes perform somewhat realistically.

I've gotten interesting experimental results.

I have a nice, midweight (10t) prop-driven STOL that's been very nicely tuned in construction. It's by far my favorite flyer. It sports two tailfins, carefully aligned. With all control surfaces enabled, it takes off at 42m/s. With airbrakes disabled as a control surface but all others enabled, it takes off at 39.5m/s. With tailfins on yaw only, it doesn't take off until 48.5m/s. Presumably the fairly large tailfins are able to pitch into that much extra lift on takeoff.

I find this trait is preferable enough for my purposes to be worth more than the cost in drag or high speed handling - its top speed is under 300m/s even at altitude. Makes for an exceptional bushplane.

Edited by Hagen von Tronje

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.