How far have you gone in Kerbal Space Program?

Columbia

I've been playing for a year or two, not even got to another planet yet.

In the mean time i've spent my hours building stations, rovers, mining rigs, moar rovers, lifters, landers, tugs, cranes, trains, and no planes.

Well, i have been playing with my first working plane atm. It goes, it lifts, it turns and goes fast! I can get it into space and back, just not quite an orbit. My first working plane :D after so long

I've been playing since March(0.90), and last night I recovered a ship landed safely on Kerbin that had visited Gilly, Eve's upper atmosphere and Moho(after a quick stop on Duna/Ike).

(first craft to return from somewhere other than Duna or asteroid fetching(not counting Kerbin SOI and training visits to Kerbol SOI))

I also took a scan-sat probe around the Joolian system a bit, finishing up with a slingshot around Tylo that has set me up to try and capture around Vall for some scanning while I wait for my manned ship(currently heading to Dres to drop a flag and make off with an asteroid-drop-tank)

There's some flying stuff that's reached the limit of the Kerbol system, and continued getting away, not always on purpose. Some Kraken enhaced explosions sent part of my Kerbin space station pretty far and pretty fast... my purpose built probes have never been that fast, but they've gone pretty far too.

I've landed everywhere, and I've got back from some places even... sorry stranded kerbals. And I've build stock modular land bases on Mun, Duna, Eve and Laythe, as big as the lag in the game let me.

And my main savegame still works since 0.21, where I made all this xD

I've gone about 3 feet, that would be about a meter for you backwards folks that use the metric system.

I've gone out to Jool and her moons. I have never gone in system to Eve. I don't know why. I've just never done so. I like to go to Minmus for some reason. I send all sorts of craft to Minmus. It's kind of the go to place for my Kerbals. I think it's the color.

I once designed and built a great arkship with closed lifesupport loop for 10 kerbals (TAC-LS + USI), several landers for exploring every landable body, robotic fuel miners and refineries, etc. Iirc it was close to 400 parts with over 800 tons mass. It was designed to be able to explore everything and never need to return. You can see where this is going don't you? Just turning the thing was measured in orbits, not minutes or seconds. Needless to say it never left kerbin SOI, it was simply too painful to play.

The most difficult/complicated thing I've done mission-wise is probably an unmanned duna mission with remote tech signal delay. The mission included 5 separate probes carried by one rocket: a communications hub with large antenna, an orbiter with SCANsat equipment for both duna and ike, plus landers for both. Landing with and without atmosphere become quite interesting when there's over a minute signal delay. Both are doable, but need some tricks.

Piloting-wise the most difficult thing was landing a 200-ton spaceplane on Tylo with TWR of 1.2. It was fusion powered (KSPI), so insane delta-v but low TWR. Iirc a suicide burn distance would have been almost outside Tylo's SOI. It was a great educational experience - I think everyone should familiarize themselves with constant altitude landings.

Literally the farthest I've been is Eeloo, but don't really consider that a significant achievement. Just pack enough lifesupport for a decade or two and it's not that different from any interplanetary trip.

Still haven't returned from Eve on any version.

Well, I've been to every Planet and Moon in the stock game, and I've shot stuff out of the Solar System. In terms of biggest projects, I'd say:

-Multiple attempts at huge Eve return ships, only one of which managed to get off Eve. (But that was so large, the game laggt to 2-3 FPS and I couldn't get the ship off Kerbin and to Eve without Hyperedit, cause the game would crash when I tried to add a launch stage or a transfer tug.

-A huge probe package for the Jool system, that had an orbiter + lander for every Moon and an orbiter + atmospheric probe for Jool.

-A really huge rescue mission for a contract. A Kerbal stranded in Orbit of the Sun. Below Mohos Orbit. He was called "Scott Kerman" so I couldn't resist rescuing him. And yes, he did come to Kerbin safely. Although rather unconventionally.

(Documentation of all of this in my Let's Play videos)

Had probe landers on every body in stock (barring the Sun), including Jool's atmosphere. Furthest return/crewed mission was Duna.

Then I got tied up in LKO with tourists and labs and forgot about all the other planets. Not unlike post-Apollo NASA ;)

I think I've visited just about every planet and moon (and, indeed, crashed a few probes into kerbol) but like the above poster I generally keep to the vicinity of kerbin and its moons.

There's always some way of making a mun landing or LKO-station building just as hard as a trip to any distant planet or moon. I just prefer to spend my time building crazy contraptions and launching them over and over with varying degrees of success over sitting in orbit and keeping track of transfer windows.

Long story short: Eeloo and beyond. Long: the rocket that sent that kamikaze probe could only launch kerbals to Minmus.

In career, LKO. Seriously, I'm a sandbox person. And for planet visits that were fair:

Kerbol: crashed, escaped from SOI

Moho: I think I got a probe there once, but that was it.

Eve: burned up on aerobraking.:(

Kerbin Career: LKO. Over wise visited everything with Mechjeb.

Duna: Attempted landing, but parachutes didn't deploy. :rolleyes:

Dres: Not even close to getting to it.

Jool: Gravity assist for my trip to Eeloo. To help I used Tylo and Laythe.

Eeloo: Okay, I lied about the kamikaze thing. What happened was that I was trying to get out of Kerbols Soi and to do so in that trip I scraped the surface and destroyed my generator... It was a good thing that I had emergency solar panels, not that they worked.

And before you ask, I've been playing since January. And I always use mods that don't add in engines and fuel tanks, which does mean I use Mechjeb. Actually I pulled out my Eeloo trip without it when I found out that my LKO heavy lifter could go to Eeloo sending a probe and I was like, I didn't know my Minmus probe had 17km/s of delta v!!!!

And yes, that was in 0.90.0. I won't be able to pull it off again for a while...

Sorry for the excessive rambling on about a mistake...

Just last week I landed a rover on Tekto (Titan-like moon of Sarnus from the Outer Planets Mod), and I consider this to be my crowning KSP achievement thus far.

Moho: Successful manned return mission

Eve: Manned orbital observation, probe landing

Gilly: Successful manned return mission

Mun/Minimus: Many successful manned return missions, Great Big Spaceport constructed in Munar orbit

Duna: Several successful return missions

Ike: Same, Ike is easy

Dres: Stranded Kerbals there in unsuccessful mission attempt, haven't been back. D'oh!

Jool: Manned return mission to Bop and Pol, but not Tylo, Vail, or Laythe

(Here begin the Outer Planets)

Sarnus: 65-kilometers-of-delta-V Big Grandiose Expedition currently underway, rover deployed to Tekto, second rover destined for Slate

Neidon: Never been

Urium: Never been

Plock: Never been

Cercani system (Other Worlds star pack): Never been

All of the above were performed with TAC-LS and RemoteTech installed. When you start considering 20-year missions, keeping your Kerbals fed and breathing becomes a BIG challenge.

Edited by eataTREE

Since I use cheats to get my somewhat limited Sci-Fi experience I've visited all of the planets and moons except Val until a few months back (Val is my favorite, it's blue and I feel tranquility on there). My playstyle is that of an independent nomadic explorer. I'm planning to build something big in 1.1, something that is currently a pain to fly due to low FPS and other limitations currently in KSP hampering any enjoyment of the game for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.