[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

I have a question: when should I ditch the engine ring for the atlas? Most of the screenshots I've seen are beauty shots that don't show the altimeter when they separate it.

Altitude doesn't matter. The way I do it is that the sustainer alone can lift 25 tons no problem, so like... around the time the vessel gets to 25t total, separate the Atlas boosters.

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Altitude doesn't matter. The way I do it is that the sustainer alone can lift 25 tons no problem, so like... around the time the vessel gets to 25t total, separate the Atlas boosters.

Yes. It's a matter of TWR. I use Kerbal Engineer, and keep an eye on the TWR readout. Once it reaches around 2.5-3, I jettison the boosters.

EDIT: Here's a dev update. Contains updated names/descriptions for many of the parts, as well as the Agena A and D engines. Does not have any of the other Agena parts. This is mostly so Venom can start making RP configs, and A1Ch1 can start making RO configs.

Edited by CobaltWolf

33 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I don't know if you planned this already, but are you considering pathfinder. Seeing as how no one has made that probe.

Mars Pathfinder? With Sojourner? I have a small list of rover parts I want to make once 1.1 brings an update to the way wheels are implemented. As far as Sojourner goes, I think you can pretty much make that using stock parts. I don't know about Pathfinder. In general, when I go to make probe parts, I haven't been making the whole thing. I've just been making bits and pieces I see that I think are useful or look cool.

16 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mars Pathfinder? With Sojourner? I have a small list of rover parts I want to make once 1.1 brings an update to the way wheels are implemented. As far as Sojourner goes, I think you can pretty much make that using stock parts. I don't know about Pathfinder. In general, when I go to make probe parts, I haven't been making the whole thing. I've just been making bits and pieces I see that I think are useful or look cool.

I just know that it's kind of up your alley to make exotic things that aren't really provided by the modding community or throwing your spin on an item that is in a dead mod or a mod with an out of wack texture that only fits to the other parts in that mod.

First off, the new parts are looking super shiny. Thumbs up for sure!

Regarding the release schedule, I would say that it should be done when it's done. I'm pretty patient about these things.  Personally, I wouldn't want you to try and shove out something before its done in order to hit a target. Whenever the vacation comes, I will try to sit down to mull over potential name suggestions.

But yeah; I'm liking the new parts a lot. They're being rung through the ringer on a 6.4x play through at the moment. When I get it a little more settled down, i'll start taking screenshots. At the moment things are a bit... Experimental :P 

This is an odd one; I'm testing the mercury capsule, no problems thus far, but for FAR, perhaps , no pun intended. On reentry, an odd thing occurs. After the bulk of reentry has completed, ie, the fire's out, etc, the pod begins to experience an acceleration downward. By that I mean I stop loosing speed at about mach 1.5 or so. Hitting F12 for the aero overlay shows a pair of opposing vectors canceling each other out in the fore and aft directions.  Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

EDIT: Yea. Just had it again. Popped up for a moment, went away, then popped back up to stay... pulled the chutes, and i'm glad they apparently make the cords out of spider silk now, because they held a 59 g deployment somehow... Jeb is a little... Shorter, I think. But, happy as ever.

Also, the heatshield fits a treat on the capsule, but is it intended that the capsule itself include ablator as a resource? They have 300 + 150  units currently.

No major hiccups otherwise, despite my horrendous environment the rockets are being subjected to. (6.4x + romini.cfg. It's a WIP itself, but it works surprisingly well on the whole. Atlas + Mercury has just over exactly enough dV to hit orbit in this mode. Now to just get a RT network up and running... ^^ )

Oh, @VenomousRequiem: The RP work is fantastic, just a small feedback on one of the WIP ones: The lunar orbiter... Engine pack. The small one with the built in RCS, the exhaust currently seems to exit the base of the engine, and not the bell. It's a minor thing, buttt... And I maybe blind, but was the mercury retrorocket exhaust going? I was a little busy flying at that point to notice unfortunately >< , NOPE, blind, the retrorocket is working fine. Nvm!

Edited by komodo

This mod is awesome, they also fit with Tantares rather nicely! I would like to see the Apollo SPS, it could be 0.9375m so it is 1/2 the size of 1.875 and looks 'right' with it, maybe use something looking like the old Fuji engine from Tantares but made larger?

nhf5GaE.png

Right here ----------------------^

Edited by legoclone09

I could have sworn I fixed that with the LO engine... did you download the absolute latest version..? It was working fine for me, and I just shot a LO type thing into Munar orbit yesterday.

nbbbN02.png

Edit- @komodo I know the feeling. I only every play with Harder Solar System x3(At least)

Edited by VenomousRequiem

12 hours ago, komodo said:

This is an odd one; I'm testing the mercury capsule, no problems thus far, but for FAR, perhaps , no pun intended. On reentry, an odd thing occurs. After the bulk of reentry has completed, ie, the fire's out, etc, the pod begins to experience an acceleration downward. By that I mean I stop loosing speed at about mach 1.5 or so. Hitting F12 for the aero overlay shows a pair of opposing vectors canceling each other out in the fore and aft directions.  Has anyone else seen this behavior before?

EDIT: Yea. Just had it again. Popped up for a moment, went away, then popped back up to stay... pulled the chutes, and i'm glad they apparently make the cords out of spider silk now, because they held a 59 g deployment somehow... Jeb is a little... Shorter, I think. But, happy as ever.

Also, the heatshield fits a treat on the capsule, but is it intended that the capsule itself include ablator as a resource? They have 300 + 150  units currently.

No major hiccups otherwise, despite my horrendous environment the rockets are being subjected to. (6.4x + romini.cfg. It's a WIP itself, but it works surprisingly well on the whole. Atlas + Mercury has just over exactly enough dV to hit orbit in this mode. Now to just get a RT network up and running... ^^ )

Oh, @VenomousRequiem: The RP work is fantastic, just a small feedback on one of the WIP ones: The lunar orbiter... Engine pack. The small one with the built in RCS, the exhaust currently seems to exit the base of the engine, and not the bell. It's a minor thing, buttt... And I maybe blind, but was the mercury retrorocket exhaust going? I was a little busy flying at that point to notice unfortunately >< , NOPE, blind, the retrorocket is working fine. Nvm!

I still need to fix a lot of things with the Mercury stuff. I know the parachute still deploys sideways (does it?). I didn't know about the rest of it, I'll look into it.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I still need to fix a lot of things with the Mercury stuff. I know the parachute still deploys sideways (does it?). I didn't know about the rest of it, I'll look into it.

The sideways parachute is a thing, yes, but it works correctly otherwise.

About the drag issue I was having, it just did it to me on another capsule entirely, so it was unfair of me to lay blame at the foot of your pod. Granted, i'm not sure what is causing it yet, but I was having no other issue with the Mercury, aside from having a lot of fun!

2 minutes ago, komodo said:

The sideways parachute is a thing, yes, but it works correctly otherwise.

About the drag issue I was having, it just did it to me on another capsule entirely, so it was unfair of me to lay blame at the foot of your pod. Granted, i'm not sure what is causing it yet, but I was having no other issue with the Mercury, aside from having a lot of fun!

Yeah I still need to figure the parachute thing out...

On 12/12/2015, 3:23:39, A1Ch1 said:

RealFuels supports thrust curves. I created a spreadsheet to generate curves for KSP, here is one based on the SRMU.

I wish my KSP could load without freezing during startup when I have RealFuels installed. But I'll save it for... when it works on my end. I only wanted RealFuels because of the mininal thrust at the end of the curve where it's still burning, but not producing enough thrust to increase velocity, even when the first stage is lit.

Fortunately, I've been tinkering around with SmokeScreen, and this is what I did with the SRMUs:
cxY4VnW.jpg?1

The only edits I made to the picture were to the first stage plume (to show that it's lit) as well as colour curves.

59 minutes ago, NotAgain said:

Any news on the cameras? Or has that been postponed?

I actually was just thinking about them the other day. They might be in the next update. I'm feeling a bit more confident with them now. I think I'll just leave them as normal experiments though, nothing fancy.

WITH THAT SAID... it's a lot of sciencedefs to write, for two types of camera, for a lot of biomes. Would I be able to, like, crowdsource the sciencedefs or something? :P

dkuNTlR.png

I. HATE. PARACHUTES.

With that said, the Mercury parachute is working! What does that mean? Well, first, it means y'all get another dev release. What else does it mean? It means I have, as far as I can tell, finished the 'todo' list for this update! Normally, I do a release immediately after I finish that list before each update. But, in the spirit of not having to do two hotfixes immediately after the update, I am going to leave the dev release out for a couple days. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE download it, play with it, let me know if anything doesn't seem to be working as intended.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Should I delete my existing copy of normal BDB when I download the dev release?

Probably yes, otherwise madness will occur I suspect.

@CobaltWolf good news is my semester is over til the new year, neutral news is I don't have much time today, but tomorrow is planned for a Ksp marathon. So... A lot of testing. I'll even revert to a vanilla install as well instead of kraken 64x madness for the full experience. Well. With KER and mechjeb. And some other non part mods I'm sure I forget. Mostly vanilla, enough for proper testing. Looking forward to it!

edit, damn auto correct.

editedit, interesting forum auto correct as well... Lol.

Edited by komodo