[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

So if its not benjee10, could it be noonespecial?

I have no idea who that person is, I just pulled up their work and it's not even remotely the same style... also, by that logic, it's not Sobol either... I'm not answering any more questions about this. Y'all will get your SLS when/if the creator finishes it.

On 11/9/2016 at 11:07 AM, TimothyC said:

I don't remember what was written about the ETS Titan V with respect to dimensions - but LDC Titan likely means we get the UA-156X SRMs, which translate to 2.5m solids, allowing a full family of Solid Single Sticks from 1.5m to 3.75m (eventually with the AJ-260).

Titan V was just our name for a revamped Titan 3L, since generally rockets get new names when they go from proposals to practice. To the extent it had firm dimensions and performance (this was back in the dark ages of Part I, and quite a short period of it at that), they were just the ones off of Astronautix for the 3L2 and 3L4, using the standard 120" Titan solids, just seven segment as in those proposals.

http://www.astronautix.com/t/titan3l2.html

http://www.astronautix.com/t/titan3l4.html

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have no idea who that person is, I just pulled up their work and it's not even remotely the same style... also, by that logic, it's not Sobol either... I'm not answering any more questions about this. Y'all will get your SLS when/if the creator finishes it.

BDB won't comment on rumor or speculation.

But is happy to spread them and leaves us wondering :P

8 minutes ago, e of pi said:

Titan V was just our name for a revamped Titan 3L, since generally rockets get new names when they go from proposals to practice. To the extent it had firm dimensions and performance (this was back in the dark ages of Part I, and quite a short period of it at that), they were just the ones off of Astronautix for the 3L2 and 3L4, using the standard 120" Titan solids, just seven segment as in those proposals.

http://www.astronautix.com/t/titan3l2.html

http://www.astronautix.com/t/titan3l4.html

Hrmm, alright. Not much new there then; somewhat of a boring rocket in terms of design :D It will be possible with the new parts though, once they're finished.

Been reading Dawn of the Dragon btw. Now I really want to throw in a couple more small modules for the Gemini... we already have a nearly matching docking port!

Just now, Drakenex said:

BDB won't comment on rumor or speculation.

But is happy to spread them and leaves us wondering :P

You know where to find answers. :wink:

1 minute ago, Drakenex said:

ehh nope, well, sometimes they are there, but mainly about women and stuff like that .... about mods there are other places :confused:

And where would these places happen to be?

Edited by Spike88

6 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

And where would these places happen to be?

Secrets. Places that can no longer be found by those that do not know where to look.

(Discord server that myself and some other KSP modders hang out on. Drakenex has access to it from way back in the day but he never comes on. We don't hand out invites anymore, it got too crowded / spammy)

Edited by CobaltWolf

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Secrets. Places that can no longer be found by those that do not know where to look.

yeah sorry, I'm road warrior (fancy name for a boring SatCom engineer ) who only spare time is between flights or drunk at parties (because they are really bad ones and C2H6O is the only way out). But I'll go now, I've gotta find who's behind that monstrosity!! 

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Except in the actual chapters, they all say that the S-IVC had a single engine. Since the wiki is very poorly updated, you'll forgive my skepticism. And not necessarily wanting to add yet another part to my to-do list.

I'm not sure I ever specifically said one engine on the S-IVC in text, and we didn't show the aft end of an S-IVC in any artwork Nixonshead did to my ability to check. I can't say we didn't screw up though--we screwed up a lot. So...I dunno. If you have a cite for something we overlooked on the S-IVC engine count, please feel free to point it out. Now that they edit window on AH has been upped to "forever," I can at least ensure any retcon is comprehensive. :wink:

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Been reading Dawn of the Dragon btw. Now I really want to throw in a couple more small modules for the Gemini... we already have a nearly matching docking port!

Be aware, in keeping with the spirit of Dawn of the Dragon, any such modules should be extremely silly. Dawn was an exercise in what kind of silly stuff I could get up to with only mid-60s-class launchers: Gemini, and Titan. No Saturns, no LH2, nothing. I then had to do something silly enough to fit that silly premise, and a Chinese program built of Rule of Cool and explicitly pointed out to be hamstrung by political demands to the same degree they were boosted beyond all reason by them, which was why they never built up their foundations was enough to just barely justify all that. Those stations are just interesting in the sense of "well, I guess it would work but why...?"

Edited by e of pi

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

3AGixxt.png

that engine adapter looks useful in so many ways... I could add two vectors to it and simplify my Saturn IIs... maybe even fly this with them, who knows? and the expander tank... I could switch it to LF/O and get rid of that heavy Kerbodyne tank on the S-III (what I'm calling the Saturn II first stage) and replace it with a lighter and larger tank!

just... please make it heat-tolerant. to fill my niche, it will need to be able to survive falling through the atmosphere at 1500+ m/s.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

10 hours ago, e of pi said:

I'm not sure I ever specifically said one engine on the S-IVC in text, and we didn't show the aft end of an S-IVC in any artwork Nixonshead did to my ability to check. I can't say we didn't screw up though--we screwed up a lot. So...I dunno. If you have a cite for something we overlooked on the S-IVC engine count, please feel free to point it out. Now that they edit window on AH has been upped to "forever," I can at least ensure any retcon is comprehensive. :wink:

Be aware, in keeping with the spirit of Dawn of the Dragon, any such modules should be extremely silly. Dawn was an exercise in what kind of silly stuff I could get up to with only mid-60s-class launchers: Gemini, and Titan. No Saturns, no LH2, nothing. I then had to do something silly enough to fit that silly premise, and a Chinese program built of Rule of Cool and explicitly pointed out to be hamstrung by political demands to the same degree they were boosted beyond all reason by them, which was why they never built up their foundations was enough to just barely justify all that. Those stations are just interesting in the sense of "well, I guess it would work but why...?"

There were definitely references to a single J-2. The H03 launch in the first Freedom assembly post, for one. I'll have to see if I find more.

and 'I guess it would work, but why?' Is basically our motto. I already have a handful of small 120 in / 3m (IRL scale, since you're likely more used to that) modules since our little headcanon for MOL is that it evolved into little tiny research outposts to develop modular construction. I even fly each one with a Gemini on top like Shuguang (I'm only at like part 12 no spoilers pls).

I also like all the hypothetical with fixed/reduced technology levels. I tried to make Gemini so that you could to a Mun landing with Titan IIi class launchers if you were ballsy enough.

8 hours ago, Jall said:

As did I. I respect both though since they were both figureheads (figureships?) for their time that got the public interested in space.

No no no, this is too neat and tidy, we can't end it this nicely, we must debate until the other side sees our side as right </sarcasm>

27 minutes ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Sorry but I'm going to go a little off topic here but, why is there so much hate for the space shuttle, I'm really interested. 

Because we could have done more with the money if we spent it more efficiently (shuttle was very expensive per ton to space). But I adore it from a technical standpoint and romantic standpoint.