Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

For what it's worth, Mr. Weir himself said he based the engines on VASIMR engines.

If I may put my two cents in - if it were me making the mod, I would call it whatever but make it consume Xenon propellant, just for the sake of not everyone (including me) wanting to install modded resources to the game.

Edited by -ctn-

I think they refer to it as an ion drive in promotional material for the film because, to the layman, the technologies aren't super different.

Plus a lot of people have probably already heard about ion engines from fiction and from the Dawn probe.

One difficulty will be the fact that the Hermes is designed for constant thrust, not shorter burns / maneuvers like normally are done in KSP.

In "The Martian", the Hermes spends the whole trip to Mars and back (except while in orbit), producing thrust, as its a constant thrust craft.

KSP does not support constant thrust maneuvers (as far as I know).

Most of my my "Hermes" designs have had to be adapted for KSP by using stock nuclear engines with sufficient thrust for shorter and harder

burns instead of the more accurate low thrust VASMIR that produces a small steady amount of thrust for the whole trip to Mars.

Probably the most likely stock option to replicate Hermes would be to use a cluster of Ion engines w/ enough solar power to run them. However,

someone would need to write a mod to calculate a constant thrust course that would get you to Duna.

One difficulty will be the fact that the Hermes is designed for constant thrust, not shorter burns / maneuvers like normally are done in KSP.

In "The Martian", the Hermes spends the whole trip to Mars and back (except while in orbit), producing thrust, as its a constant thrust craft.

KSP does not support constant thrust maneuvers (as far as I know).

Most of my my "Hermes" designs have had to be adapted for KSP by using stock nuclear engines with sufficient thrust for shorter and harder

burns instead of the more accurate low thrust VASMIR that produces a small steady amount of thrust for the whole trip to Mars.

Probably the most likely stock option to replicate Hermes would be to use a cluster of Ion engines w/ enough solar power to run them. However,

someone would need to write a mod to calculate a constant thrust course that would get you to Duna.

I was just thinking very long lasting burns, constant burns are impossible in ksp

Made some textures :D

SFx9L8Y.png

I was just thinking very long lasting burns, constant burns are impossible in ksp

Actually constant burns are possible with this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/133735-WIP-1-0-4-PersistentThrust-v1-0-3-alpha

Also we have a code to adjust attitude while in warp: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113507-0-90-PersistentRotation-0-4-1-%28former-Timewarp-Rotate%29

So the only thing is a calculation method for non-Hohmann manoeuvres. :)

Why stock? Why is "stock alike" a thing? It's a mod to hell with stock. Make it look unique. Goes for everything.

The goal is to make the parts useful for purposes beyond the scope of the mod. If the parts are too unique, they don't look right next to anything else. At the moment, RoverDude and Porkjet are redefining what stock looks like, as the current stock is just so awful. Hopefully at some point, they'll publish their resources, and make a proper art guide to help people keep stuff looking consistent. That'd be the best thing for everyone really.

I completely disagree. Go for diversity. Go for being unique. The art style of a part should have nothing to do in how its used. Stockalike only limits creativity. We need more mods like Chaka Monkey. Those parts are completely different from stock yet I use them everywhere on every craft.

Edited by Motokid600

I completely disagree. Go for diversity. Go for being unique. The art style of a part should have nothing to do in how its used. Stockalike only limits creativity. We need more mods like Chaka Monkey. Those parts are completely different from stock yet I use them everywhere on every craft.

Chaka's stuff is really hodgepodge, and frustrating to work with, aside from the ridiculous bloat and poor performance. It's not so much and add-on, as it is an add-on frankenstein. Not saying it isn't neat, but it's horrible to run on modest computers.

I think xxhansonmaxx should stick with the style he's currently using for his CST-100, and for his benjee10's Endurance. Endurance looks true to the movie, but still stockalike. Both look very nice. Artistic consistency is nice.

Edited by curtquarquesso

That completely depends on the purpose of the mod. Personally I like the stock style as it fits with the feeling of the game. Incredibly realistic texturing looks kinda out of place in KSP in my opinion. If the mod maker wants it to fit with stock then let the mod maker do that. Just because you're following an art style it doesn't mean you can't be unique; art style has a lot to do with how things are used for many players, because they want to design craft that looks aesthetically pleasing and coherent.

Do what you like. Can't stop anyone there. I just think stockalike defeats the purpose of creating mods is all. Call it an opinion. And in my opinion I would much rather see a more realistically styled Hermes or... Anything.

For instance this just looks... Boring to me. Whites, greys... yea. Looks like a bland stock part. But again forgive me it's just what I think and I understand it's very much a work in progress and I do very much look forward to the final product.

Additionally. "Hodgepodge" is a pretty accurate word to describe every space craft ever created in history except for maybe the space shuttle. Even the Hermes itself looks like every piece was developed in a different part of the world. That's the challenge in design. Is getting all these pieces to work with each other.

If everything is stock alike. Then everything will look the same. Look at the spacecraft exchange. Every stock craft more or less looks the same. You've seen one stock rocket you've practically seen them all. I won't generalize. People can get really creative and make unique designs, but the difficulty of that is significant. All because everything has the same art style.

@xxhansonmaxx - Dont be afraid to think outside the box with your textures. I for one will not scold you for it.

Edited by Motokid600