Devnote Tuesday: 1.0.5 is approaching

SQUAD

Wait do we know yet if buoyancy will prevent the rockets we gently set down in the water at 1 m/s from self-immolating when they roll over?

1.0 Parachutes do that now. They don't auto cut until the craft is stable. (EDIT: Unless that was added by Claw and his stock bug fixes, I know it isn't any of my other mods)

Can somebody tell me why the fuel cells use LF and OX?

It doesn't make sense considering real fuel cells use hydrogen, which some rockets use as liquid fuel, so logically fuel cells in KSP would only use LF.

Except they're still running with oxygen too. I think what you mean is that the vehicle doesn't have carry the oxidizer with it? (and, just as a bit of trivia, but some fuel cells can be run in reverse where electricity is passed to them and they split the water back into H2/O2. Those are regenerating fuel cells)

I like the idea of making fuel from water, but then we would need hydrogen for a fuel too. This would be great for planets with water or ice, and lots of sun.

I know this is the wrong place, but when it comes to stock challenges, we need larger parts. The new rocket NASA is building is 8.4 meters in diameter!

NASA: Space Launch System

Have you seen the shop where Copenhagen Suborbitals are building their rockets? It's not very far from a barn or a bicycle shop.

https://youtu.be/SoBq3142zBI?t=16m7s

For unmanned (which I think would be a better start than the start we have now) it would be perfect.

Doesn't this suggest the first tier of the VAB should be empty land and we start by building horizontally in the Hanger with a launch frame that brings it vertical?

1.0 Parachutes do that now. They don't auto cut until the craft is stable. (EDIT: Unless that was added by Claw and his stock bug fixes, I know it isn't any of my other mods)

I think it might be. I lost so many crews to roll-over I stopped splashing down all together. You can belly-land but you dont get that tail-sitter engine double-duty.

Sinking like a rock isn't neccesarily a bug, just means your mass overcomes the displacement.

No no, you misunderstand. The object in question is perfectly capable of floating and indeed does, but the game will literally send it to the bottom of the sea in nearly an instant because it doesn't read it as the object being in the water, but on land. Typically this alone destroys the craft, and anything that's left slowly rises back to the surface, and I mean SLOWLY.

Maybe Maxmaps could drop some of his contraptions of doom into the 1.0.5 booster bay to show off the new water physics in the next Squadcast? :wink:

(btw. I hope everything is alright after the interesting weather last week - did not hear/read anything yet.)

Doesn't this suggest the first tier of the VAB should be empty land and we start by building horizontally in the Hanger with a launch frame that brings it vertical?

Well, I actually like the idea of a camera turned 90° in the VAB to keep the building top to bottom on screen while actually building the first few rockets "horizontally", with engineers walking on the "walls". :D

Maybe I am to heavily influenced by "First Flight" canon by KSK, but I think he only built on the small amount of "ingame lore" in some part descriptions. So reutilizing some building not related to rocket building for the start of a private space program seems plausible to me.

Ciao

Kerbmav

One of the "40K Orks" proud to enjoy what Kerbals do different than humans, and not just because it looks crazy to some! :P:wink:

No, they don't auto-cut when the craft is stable, but when the craft comes to a stop*. That's a subtle difference: What normally happens to me when I splashdown is that the craft comes down completely vertical, comes to its (first) stop in an upright position, the parachutes cut, and only then it slowly tips over. More often than not something breaks when the upper parts are hitting the water then.

*) Can't tell if that's stock or Claw's bug fixes either as I have it installed.

No, they don't auto-cut when the craft is stable, but when the craft comes to a stop*. That's a subtle difference: What normally happens to me when I splashdown is that the craft comes down completely vertical, comes to its (first) stop in an upright position, the parachutes cut, and only then it slowly tips over. More often than not something breaks when the upper parts are hitting the water then.

You can avoid this by just tilting the craft a little as it enters the water. Pick any of the WASD keys and hold it as you enter the water. The chutes won't cut out as you fall over because you won't come to a stop first in the vertical position. So the chutes will then stay with you as your craft falls over on its side, and nothing will explode.

Also, if you forget, the moment the chutes cut your ship should be recoverable. Get your mouse at the top of the screen and click like mad as soon as you see the button.

Source: I've totally done this on multiple occasions, even before chutes stayed open for longer.

there a some situations when this dont work - even if very rare.

just experienced on my come-back from duna, the big capsule broke apart from the ship and SANK!! with 3 kerbals in it.

i was able to switch to it all the time and EVA the kerbals out in the water - but there was no posibillity to recover the capsule... with all the science from the mission in it ;)

I am wonder if is there any thought about multiplayer implementation... Good news are always soon...

Are you asking for a status update on the already announced multiplayer functionality, or not aware of it? Just clarifying. There haven't been many status updates on multiplayer yet, so I'm assuming that it's not far enough along to be able to have status updates that would mean anything to the players.

Well, it's nice to see that you consider to add this slider to even control surfaces (even if not in 1.05)

Check out StockPlus. There's a slider to adjust control surface authority from 10% up to 200%. So not quite 90 degrees, but you can set up a lot more (or less) authority. Depending on demand, I might update it for 1.0.5.

Will this update break a lot of plugins?

It shouldn't break too many. Possibly some rework from contract add-ons...but the big ones are probably going to be any that work with current stock water (boat or submarine packs). Those will definitely need some rework. As always, no promises...

What about aerobraking at Jool, while that be possible in again in 1.05? Because that would be...useful.

Yes. That was one of the main aims to fix.

Wait do we know yet if buoyancy will prevent the rockets we gently set down in the water at 1 m/s from self-immolating when they roll over?

It should be better, yes.

That started out in my fixes, but was integrated into stock in 1.0.

I really hope that the changes to buoyancy also fixes the bug where if something if splashed down, it doesn't get shot to the bottom of the sea because the game thinks it's "landed" and not "splashed down."

This particular problem is unrelated to the buoyancy. I don't know what triggers that bug, but now that you mention it, it should be pretty easy to code up a fix that checks for and fixes it. Though the problem now is actually that a craft that is on the bottom of the ocean floor might intentionally be there.

I like the mk1 cabins. I'm going to use them for tunnels to connect spacestation/base modules... I even like that there is a table and chair in there to act as a bit of a breakout room.

Yeah, I think they could make neat exit tubes to bases.

Will the bouyancy of the part reflect the fill level of the part (tank), making stock submergibles possible?

Yes to the first half. I imagine submersibles will depend on how buoyant things end up being at the end of balancing.

*) Can't tell if that's stock or Claw's bug fixes either as I have it installed.

This is accurate. It's actually a combination of landed/splashed, and below a certain threshold speed. So if you land perfectly upright, the chute will cut. But that means if there's a little bit of wobble, it might cut (because of the low speed), before the thing falls over. Landing at a slight angle (when possible) does help with this.

Also, if you forget, the moment the chutes cut your ship should be recoverable. Get your mouse at the top of the screen and click like mad as soon as you see the button.

Source: I've totally done this on multiple occasions, even before chutes stayed open for longer.

Yes, the speeds are pretty closely aligned. Sometimes the window to do this is pretty small though.

just experienced on my come-back from duna, the big capsule broke apart from the ship and SANK!! with 3 kerbals in it.

That actually shouldn't be possible in stock...unless you had some particularly heavy amount of fuel on board (like more than a surplus orange tank). Or mods installed?

Cheers,

~Claw

Edited by Claw

@claw thanks :) but i prefer my .crafts to be able to be used (and rebuilt if they wish to learn how it's made) by anyone, so i don't use parts mods or mods that modify stock behavior (except in .crafts i keep for myself) :) but most of your fixes should become stock for sure :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.